2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
slenderkitchen is another GREAT website I use, especially for crock pot dishes. Hers are amazing. I have made tons of stuff from her website.

I have checked that one out too, but not made anything yet. I am ALL about the crockpot so I am definitely going to go visit that site again, thanks!

I don't agree. You can eat these. They are relatively healthy. At the end of the day it really boils down to calories in vs calories out. I have taken this approach, counting my calories in my fitness pal, weighing my foods on the food scale, and am down 60 pounds. Find out what your TDEE is and eat less than that and you will lose weight, regardless of if you eat your calories in cheeseburgers or in salad.

First off, BIG congrats on the weight loss!!! That's AWESOME!

I do think the bars are relatively healthy in a situation that you can burn them, they have nutritional value. At this point I've come to the realization that my lifestyle with my chosen career is just not an active one, I wish I had more time to make it that way. I'm 35 and sadly figuring out I'm much closer to 40 than 20. I have to make some more healthy choices and if cutting the bars is one of them then that's what I need to do.

I really need to just stick to eating healthy and nutritional food in my situation, they're fine for people that have the time to burn them but a lot of days I don't. I get up at 3:45am and get back home around 5:30pm, get in my 30-45 minutes of exercise, eat supper, visit with my family, and then I have to start getting everything ready for the next day to try to be in bed by 9pm. That's when nothing else is going on. I'm sitting for around 13 hours a day between driving to work and sitting in my crane cab through my shift. Between that and my wife and two kids I just don't have time to burn off cheeseburgers. Right now work is slowing down for the winter, my son's soccer season hasn't started, and there's not a lot going on with my wife and daughter at the moment either. I've got 2 or 3 months until life gets hectic again. Right now I have about 30-45 minutes a day dedicated to exercise where I can drop some weight and I need to get back to eating healthy all the time now, with the occasional cheat meal, so that I can maintain a healthy lifestyle when I get busy and not put the weight back on.

Like I said in the post above I do plan on carrying the bars in my golf bag so that when I walk my solo rounds this year I have a good boost of energy when I think I'm getting tired. I plan on walking my first round EVER on Friday, so I'll have a bar with me and hopefully a little bit of luck!

Thanks TexasHacker and another big congrats on the weight loss!!!

There are some good snack bar recipes out there for the bake at home types (... not California baking mind you).
I agree with you. Occasional is fine. As a regular snack, I wouldn't. As a rule of thumb, those health and protein bars are not as healthy as they imply. There are much better sources of protein with less carbs.

Not disagreeing with you. Just simply stating that one shouldn't write them off based on sugar substitutes. They are a convenient snack and if you want to have one before/after a workout, on the golf course, you will be just fine

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sugar alcohols do NOT react in your body the same as granulated sugar.

I will just leave it at that as I know this conversation will probably go south.

They contain maltitol and glycerine. Both forms of sugars. They react the same as sugar in your body. 1 gram of sugar doesn't equal 24 grams of carbs. Deceptive advertising at best. Do your research. Most "health bars" are low fat high sugar unfortunately.

Sugar alcohols do NOT react in your body the same as granulated sugar.

I will just leave it at that as I know this conversation will probably go south.

Accurate.

I will check that out, thanks!

That's my go-to blog for WW recipes, she is great! I have made a ton of her recipes, and posted a few on here somewhere.

Make. The. Cutlets.

Oh my.

Been including Chia seeds in my protein shake in the morning to help curb my hunger later in the morning..

Has worked pretty well for the first few days, but not as much today.

I use the chia seeds occasionally, I don't mind them and they definitely help me feel full, I don't like them in the yogurt products you can buy.

You can lose weight and be unhealthy. Equal calories in cheeseburgers and veggies are not the same quality wise. I recently read an article where Tom Brady said 80 percent of his calorie intake is vegetables. He has access to the best nutritionists money can buy.

He also listens to this guy... http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2015/10/09/tom-brady-alex-guerrero-neurosafe/

GG, for recipes check out skinnytaste.com if you havent already, lists the points on all recipes (both points versions) and more improtantly there is some insanely good stuff on there.

I made these Turkey Cutlets for Amanda and I last night and they were freaking phenomenal: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/turkey-cutlets-with-parmesan-crust.html

Love skinnytaste, I do a lot of my recipes off of here as well when I cook.

I've made that turkey cutlet recipe. Jman speaks the truth.

I am going to start using the pressure cooker again, it is so easy and so good

I use the chia seeds occasionally, I don't mind them and they definitely help me feel full, I don't like them in the yogurt products you can buy.

I made overnight oats and accidentally put 1 TBLS of chia seeds in instead of 1 tsp...I do not recommend doing that haha.

Of course, I hate chia seeds but keep trying to put them in things since I know they have so many benefits.

I made overnight oats and accidentally put 1 TBLS of chia seeds in instead of 1 tsp...I do not recommend doing that haha.

Of course, I hate chia seeds but keep trying to put them in things since I know they have so many benefits.

Haha oh man that's a big difference!

I've made that turkey cutlet recipe. Jman speaks the truth.

I was shocked how good it was. Better yet, Amanda was too, she demanded it be a staple for us (plus turkey cutlets are cheap so thats a win!).

I am going to start using the pressure cooker again, it is so easy and so good

I need to buy one. So so so so so so so easy.

Oh damn! EEEEEEEEW!

I have to say, I'm most pleased about how low in points my overnight oats are on WW. I love them, so it was a relief to see.

I was shocked how good it was. Better yet, Amanda was too, she demanded it be a staple for us (plus turkey cutlets are cheap so thats a win!).

I need to buy one. So so so so so so so easy.

Oh damn! EEEEEEEEW!

I have to say, I'm most pleased about how low in points my overnight oats are on WW. I love them, so it was a relief to see.

I was too that's why I made them. Plus I have been taking the early Orange Theory class and it leaves me very little time in the morning to eat breakfast so having that ready is a huge time saver.

So I just attempted to blow dry my hair and my arms were shaking. Thanks Orange Theory!

Those are the best workouts. When I did Bootcamp and we worked on legs having to get out of my chair that day at work I wanted to scream every time. It was hilarious but showed how much you actually worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first posting on this thread. I do so mainly because I just left my cardiologist. Losing weight, at least 25 pounds, is no longer just something good to do, for me, it is now a medical necessity. With my medical family history, excessive weight could really cause some serious problems. So I will be going back reading previous postings and will be paying attention to future ones. Let's all get healthy together!!!!

be determined, don't get discouraged by a small set back or 2 along the way, we have all been there. one thing you will find out, once you hit 25 lb weight loss you will want to go to 30 because of your mind set of success, ( if I can do 25 then I can do 30 ). I know, I have lost 160 pounds since March 5th 2015!
if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. good luck

Great advice Maddog. The little goals are great. I remember when I started this journey, 90 pounds felt so far away. So I set goal dates of 10,15,20, etc. I am now down 60 and I am 2/3 of the way there. That, plus before pics, keep me extremely motivated.

be determined, don't get discouraged by a small set back or 2 along the way, we have all been there. one thing you will find out, once you hit 25 lb weight loss you will want to go to 30 because of your mind set of success, ( if I can do 25 then I can do 30 ). I know, I have lost 160 pounds since March 5th 2015!
if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. good luck

Maddog, thank you so much for your encouragement and advice, I genuinely appreciate it. As I noted, the cardiologist told me that weight loss is now a medical necessity for me. so that contributes to my determination. In a similar vein, my wife and I have been married for over three decades and when we got married we were both at chart weight. As time has passed, time has had its impact on us. Let's just say we both no longer look like our wedding pictures. In my heart, I know that my wife should lose 25 pounds or so to assure her health as well. Over the last few years, she has started a diet several times, but after 3 or 4 months she is back to her chocolate and ice cream addictions, so to speak. While she is dieting I try to be totally supportive. But when she abandons them, I don't feel comfortable pressing her. She is sensitive about her weight and I don't want to hurt her. I just don't want her to ever think that my feelings for her will change or have changed just because of her dress size. I'm hoping my need to diet can become a common mission for us. However, if that doesn't work, I don't know how to keep her on a diet without hurting her. I'm open for suggestions, moreover, I need some suggestions.

Before pics are very important, I will always keep my fat pic, it reminds of what I never want to go back to.

Keep at taylor, you are killing it

Great advice Maddog. The little goals are great. I remember when I started this journey, 90 pounds felt so far away. So I set goal dates of 10,15,20, etc. I am now down 60 and I am 2/3 of the way there. That, plus before pics, keep me extremely motivated.

Before pics are very important, I will always keep my fat pic, it reminds of what I never want to go back to.

Keep at taylor, you are killing it

Yep took pics in front of the mirror exact same poses basically one before I started Advocare for the first time at 276 and one this past Monday at 216. I was SHOCKED at the difference. Anytime I question how much I have lost, or why I am still pushing, I just pull those pictures up and I see the difference. I cannot wait to see how much better I am going to look at 185-190

This is my first posting on this thread. I do so mainly because I just left my cardiologist. Losing weight, at least 25 pounds, is no longer just something good to do, for me, it is now a medical necessity. With my medical family history, excessive weight could really cause some serious problems. So I will be going back reading previous postings and will be paying attention to future ones. Let's all get healthy together!!!!
Some good post so far on this. I would add something that should be a must buy for you would be a book called The Dash Diet Action Plan. I had been working out and eating relatively well for about 10 years, but had an event that made me get checked by a cardiologist as well. Long and short of it, doing some research I found this book which is specifically for addressing diet relative to these type issues. Started using it over a year ago, dropped to a weight I had not seen in 20 years, and got most of my metrics back in place along with some meds.

So glad I got into this thread. In just a few days, it's helped a lot with several ideas and comments on recipes, food products, diet choices and stepping up my efforts to be healthier all around.

It helped motivate me to get up and get a workout in before work today. Things like that to move the needle. Keep it coming folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back