Pace of play: then what is the answer?

Even drives??? LOL

The only shots I laser 100% of the time are tee balls on par 3's. Approaches on par 4's and 5's I will often laser, but not always. Half wedges are where I feel the laser helps most, so I'll typically laser stuff in the 50-100 yd range.

The only other times I will laser is if I need a layup distance.
That's exactly what I do. It's the ones who walk over to there ball when they know that they will possibly only need 2 clubs and instead of grabbing those, they instead laser, walk over and grab the club they need from the cart that's still 50ft away than practice swing 3 times, shimmy 5 more times than swing the club. Most of the time the ball lands short or long and they turn and say, I should have clubbed up or down!

In a foursome, it takes 4 guys to tolerate or condone slow play. There may be one or two really slow guys there, but it also means that the other two or three can't or won't do anything about their slowness.

Attitude is also important. We should all be given enough time to hit our shots well while playing, but this doesn't include being prima donnas, giving out corny jokes when we're supposed to be hitting already, reading all putts from all points of the compass.

In my regular group, we play ready golf, and know enough of our games to know where to place ourselves while the others are hitting.

Unless bets are on, I give gimmes all around. It's also important to have holes in friendly locations, nobody wants to four-putt, so they take more time on that putt. Multiply that by the number of holes with tricky putts, and multiply that by the number of players in the field.

Difficult hole locations should be reserved for tournament play.

It takes a gutsy marshal to get slow groups going, it's not an easy job.

When all else fails, the club should make it a local rule for slow groups to allow faster groups to play ahead.

I wish that was possible to do even during tournaments. In a tournament recently, the danged game took 6 hours. Nobody plays well in 6 hours.

When I play as a single I play deliberately and let anyone play through if they ask.

(if they are at all rude though, they can wait. respect is #1)

See below.

If it's backed up and there is nowhere for anyone to go, and your group is keeping up with the pace that is being set, there was no reason to let the single through.

As a single, if there are more than a couple of groups on the course you should simply keep up. There is no logic in requiring someone to play through you just because you like to dawdle when the course isn't really open in front of you. I'll add that I hate having to play through anyone just because they deliberately play slowly. A foursome should never have to deal with the angst of playing through a single.

If the course is open, they shouldn't have to ask to play through, you should invite them through as soon as it becomes apparent that they are overtaking you (if you don't then the rudeness is on your head, not theirs). Quite frankly, in that case, the faster group shouldn't even have to wait on a single shot. If you want to play that slowly, then you should step aside and wave them up as soon as they come within a shot of you.

Last edited:
The real question is, what do you do to pick up the pace?

Me: take multiple clubs with me when there might be doubt on a yardage, get on the greens & be ready to putt.

My group spends so much time messing around on the greens, way too much. Play some ready golf.
Mark your scores when you are on the way down the next fairway, or even on the tee box. (I cringe when I see people doing it on the green, or sitting in their carts by the green doing it).

Be more aware of the groups around you. If you are causing a backlog, speed it up.

As a single, if there are more than a couple of groups on the course you should simply keep up. There is no logic in requiring someone to play through you just because you like to dawdle when the course isn't really open in front of you. I'll add that I hate having to play through anyone just because they deliberately play slowly. A foursome should never have to deal with the angst of playing through a single.

No angsts given or received if a group is behind me and playing faster and they wait until the next hole to pass.

If the course is open, they shouldn't have to ask to play though, you should invite them through as soon as it becomes apparent that they are overtaking you (if you don't then the rudeness is on your head, not theirs). Quite frankly, in that case, the faster group shouldn't even have to wait on a single shot. If you want to play that slowly, then you should step aside and wave them up as soon as they come within a shot of you.

As above, if they wait until the next hole, the ask is quite apparent and definitely I would request that they play through. However, if they choose to make the move and hit into me, that lack of respect is met in kind. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wow this thread is a real eye opener. I guess for me because I've never really been on a busy course I've become a slow player over the years. I mean I'm not ridiculously slow but i like to take my time and enjoy my round, i get super nervous and freaked out a bit if any other groups are either coming up on me or if I'm coming up on them so I think that has alot to do with it. I normally time my rounds so i usually never ever run into another golfer lol but in the off chance I catch up to some group i will just stop at the next tee box and wait till they are a hole or 2 ahead and if anyone catches up I'll do the same and let them thru. I just can't even hit the damn ball if i think im making a group slow down and wait for me. Which is so odd cause when i play in a group i do fine with friends watching my shots, and i have a brother who is one of those maniacs who must have a cart and finish a round in like 2hrs lol.
With that being said even on my slowest days out on my own and walking i dont think I've ever come close to 4hrs.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I would have no problem if green fees were based partly on how long you occupied the course. Maybe a flat rate for up to four hours, and an additional amount for every additional 15 minutes.

I get that slow play is often dictated by a crowded course, but the extra charge would be no different than the current upcharge for peak times.

I would have no problem if green fees were based partly on how long you occupied the course. Maybe a flat rate for up to four hours, and an additional amount for every additional 15 minutes.

I get that slow play is often dictated by a crowded course, but the extra charge would be no different than the current upcharge for peak times.

So slow play would become a revenue enhancer for the course? Perverse incentives.

I know if I was stuck behind some slow players and then got hit for a bill as I was getting off 18 I would be livid. You'd have groups "ball prodding" by hitting into groups in-front of them to get them to move.

At the end of the day, people forget that out of hundreds of players, it only takes 5 or so to take down the entire course.

So much ^^^this^^^, and it's ignorance or foolish pride that keeps them from doing the right thing. This is why if they won't you need a ranger that will. They need to be told to pick up the pace or start letting people play through.

Highways have passing lanes which allow faster drivers to pass slower drivers, yet still allow slow drivers to keep moving. Golf, unfortunately is a "single lane" road, and many slower golfers do not want to wait on the shoulder to let faster groups through.

We've probably all been in slow groups and have encouraged faster play, probably with little or no success. Everyone knows what to do in order to speed up play, but some golfers choose to just keep playing slow! Thank God I play with golfers who, although we're in our late 60's and mid 70's, all play at a quick, comfortable pace.

I followed a 5some for 3 or 4 holes today, playing from the tips and all five had to have shot over 100. They let me through on a dogleg par 5 that one of them had shanked it in the woods right next to the tee box, one didn't make the 230 yards to clear the corner, and one went 45* right off the tee into the deep woods no where close to cutting the corner.

It's this sort of thing that I get mad at and have to laugh at the same time or it will drive me crazy. I was playing solo and walking also.

So slow play would become a revenue enhancer for the course? Perverse incentives.

I know if I was stuck behind some slow players and then got hit for a bill as I was getting off 18 I would be livid. You'd have groups "ball prodding" by hitting into groups in-front of them to get them to move.

I haven't hashed this idea out fully or crunched any numbers or anything, but I'd think there's a sweet spot where the "fine" for taking longer is enough to motivate people to play faster but not so much that people playing slowly is more profitable for the course than getting folks in and out.

Im with JB that people are slow because they aren't ready. Courses need to do a better job of monitoring the pace of play and move slow groups along. There are a couple courses here that monitor the course and will give a warning, followed by being advanced to the appropriate hole and finally removed

I totally agree that golfers just aren't ready and take too long with their routines. I played today with a buddy and we got paired up with a Japanese couple. He was playing the regular tees and my buddy and I were playing back so it made for 3 sets of tees with his wife off the ladies. They both shot about 100 and we had 4 holes that were cart path only. We still made it around in 3:40 with a 5-10 stop at the turn. For me 3:40 is slower than my normal foursome time but it is tolerable. Before I joined a private club my solution to slow play was to simply not play much golf unless it was during the week. I'm fortunate that I'm able to belong to a private club where a round over 3:45 is the exception, even on a Saturday or Sunday.

Let me preface this by saying I do not like waiting as much as anyone here.

But what I haven't heard here is if anyone adjusts their anticipated time based on the course they are playing. I joined a private club this year and I expect to complete a round there in 3 1/2 hours or less. I am certainly not expecting that pace at a popular public course where they are pumping groups off the tee every 8 minutes. Go to Bethpage State Park on Long Island on a Saturday and I bet you won't finish any course there in less than 4 1/2-5 hours (and that is after the 2 hour wait if you don't have a reserved tee time).

Please, no one take this personally, but if a half hour is that crucial to you at that time, you probably shouldn't be on the course that day. Any number of things could consume that half-hour during the day.

I've said this before.... is slow play based on a time factor, or is it just someone who doesn't play as fast as someone else wants to? Because, IMHO, while slow play is annoying, what is more obnoxious is feeling like I'm playing golf in a track meet because some guy behind me has the patience of a flea.

Let me preface this by saying I do not like waiting as much as anyone here.

But what I haven't heard here is if anyone adjusts their anticipated time based on the course they are playing. I joined a private club this year and I expect to complete a round there in 3 1/2 hours or less. I am certainly not expecting that pace at a popular public course where they are pumping groups off the tee every 8 minutes. Go to Bethpage State Park on Long Island on a Saturday and I bet you won't finish any course there in less than 4 1/2-5 hours (and that is after the 2 hour wait if you don't have a reserved tee time).

Please, no one take this personally, but if a half hour is that crucial to you at that time, you probably shouldn't be on the course that day. Any number of things could consume that half-hour during the day.

I've said this before.... is slow play based on a time factor, or is it just someone who doesn't play as fast as someone else wants to? Because, IMHO, while slow play is annoying, what is more obnoxious is feeling like I'm playing golf in a track meet because some guy behind me has the patience of a flea.
I know what you're saying Jim, but some people, myself included, usually do have other responsibilities on a day they want to get a round in and would rather not spend 6-7 hours away (with travel). Also, as has been said, it's usually 1 or 2 groups that hold up the whole parade and make it frustrating. If they showed some common sense and consideration or if rangers did their job and dealt with them it would not be an issue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I play in a tournament league and we are slow. Too slow for my satisfaction. I have played with most everyone in the league and I can name the players who are slow. And, they are slow for many different reasons. First of all, we play by USGA Rules. We putt everything out. Can't drop a ball if you can't find yours and just play on...and so on. Most times, we have people who (1) don't realize how slow they really are (2) have some sort of pre-shot routine that takes way too much time (3) never ready when it is their time to play (4) drive to one ball and sit then drive to the other ball (5) read putts from every angle possible and still have no clue. It is not just the better players or the really bad players. Often times, I find it is the mid-handicappers who are worse...speaking for the league I play in.
Lost balls take extra time and I can live with that if they would just make an effort to catch back up after they find the ball or move on to their provisional ball and play the hole out.

I play in a tournament league and we are slow. Too slow for my satisfaction. I have played with most everyone in the league and I can name the players who are slow. And, they are slow for many different reasons. First of all, we play by USGA Rules. We putt everything out. Can't drop a ball if you can't find yours and just play on...and so on. Most times, we have people who (1) don't realize how slow they really are (2) have some sort of pre-shot routine that takes way too much time (3) never ready when it is their time to play (4) drive to one ball and sit then drive to the other ball (5) read putts from every angle possible and still have no clue. It is not just the better players or the really bad players. Often times, I find it is the mid-handicappers who are worse...speaking for the league I play in.
Lost balls take extra time and I can live with that if they would just make an effort to catch back up after they find the ball or move on to their provisional ball and play the hole out.

Good observation! I never heard the term "slow play" until the last five years or so. I've been playing since the early 70's and don't remember it being so slow back then and the course was busy. I think it is just a sign of the times. People piss around with music, cell phones, range finders etc. plus we have moved into a world where everyone only thinks of themselves. No quick fix in sight. Slow play is here to stay.

I've stopped playing in our men's league as 2.5 to 3 hours to play 9 holes is the norm now days. Weekend skins is just as bad. Normal is 5+ hours to play 18. Mix of young and old players, but there are slow players in all age groups. TV golf doesn't help. The pro's take forever and people follow their lead.

^^ so much this ^^

Good observation! I never heard the term "slow play" until the last five years or so. I've been playing since the early 70's and don't remember it being so slow back then and the course was busy. I think it is just a sign of the times. People piss around with music, cell phones, range finders etc. plus we have moved into a world where everyone only thinks of themselves. No quick fix in sight. Slow play is here to stay.

I've stopped playing in our men's league as 2.5 to 3 hours to play 9 holes is the norm now days. Weekend skins is just as bad. Normal is 5+ hours to play 18. Mix of young and old players, but there are slow players in all age groups. TV golf doesn't help. The pro's take forever and people follow their lead.

Our league is about 5 hours for 18 holes. I continue to play in it because I like the competition. Sometimes it is not always us. We do not take up the whole course so we are behind groups who teed off before us (normally 10AM). I play golf with guys during the summer in the afternoons and we play 18 holes in about 3 hours (sometime less). There is no screwing around. We go to our ball, hit it and move on making sure we stay out of each others way. Most courses where I live post their desire time for a round at 4-1/2 hours. It should take less time but most weekends it does not. Played today (non-league), CPO, extremely wet, lots of walking back and forth and we all played poorly (high winds and wet) and thought it was very slow as we waited on most every shot. Finished and checked the time...4 hours 45 minutes. So with adverse conditions, we still played in only 15 minutes over the "desired time".

Our league is about 5 hours for 18 holes. I continue to play in it because I like the competition. Sometimes it is not always us. We do not take up the whole course so we are behind groups who teed off before us (normally 10AM). I play golf with guys during the summer in the afternoons and we play 18 holes in about 3 hours (sometime less). There is no screwing around. We go to our ball, hit it and move on making sure we stay out of each others way. Most courses where I live post their desire time for a round at 4-1/2 hours. It should take less time but most weekends it does not. Played today (non-league), CPO, extremely wet, lots of walking back and forth and we all played poorly (high winds and wet) and thought it was very slow as we waited on most every shot. Finished and checked the time...4 hours 45 minutes. So with adverse conditions, we still played in only 15 minutes over the "desired time".

I love to compete as well, but the slowness takes me out of my game at times. I'm pretty lucky that day to day normal rounds can be played in 3 to 3.5 hours, but "official" events are super slow. I blame most of it on the "millennial" golfers of today, even though some of the older guys think they are on tour as well and take forever on every shot.

some course around me have an average pace of play at 4.5 to 5.5 hours. It kind of sucks, but for me I'm happy being on the course.

And If I can't find my ball within no more than 2 minutes, I drop and chop baby.

I play ready golf too, no point in waiting for the guy to take 20 practice swings, if I'm a bit ahead and out of their shot range. boom I hit it.

But around me, hardly any round is less than 4.5 hours. start at 8 am , finish by 12:30 - 1:30 pm. just normal around here.

Today we teed off at 7:29am and were supposed to be paired with a twosome, but they told us to go ahead. We finished the front 9 at 8:28 and finished the round at 9:50am.

We never felt rushed, played average at best and definitely weren't running. Twosome in a cart and we drove to each of our balls and watched the other hit.
I dont expect this, but I dont see how 4 hours is not possible.

Today we teed off at 7:29am and were supposed to be paired with a twosome, but they told us to go ahead. We finished the front 9 at 8:28 and finished the round at 9:50am.

We never felt rushed, played average at best and definitely weren't running. Twosome in a cart and we drove to each of our balls and watched the other hit.

The twosome missed out on an enjoyable round by letting you guys go ahead. You wouldn't have gotten done as quick as you did, but I notice that people tend to play quicker when they play with you JB! So it still would have been relatively fast as a foursome.

I haven't had a sub 5 round in awhile. You guys need a 3rd? That's incredible.

At the Muni I play most of the time, Boulder City, the biggest problem I see as far as time to play a round is, most men using the white tee's when they could be playing the Gold tee's and enjoy their game better. I'm retired so I play during the week and let the working folks play on the weekend, and I've beeen playing the gold tee's for the last 8 months and will continue to play the gold tee's. I see lots of other men play during the week. Most of them are retired too so are between 55 & 85. They play from the white tee's and are taking way too long to find each others ball and they seem to chat alot. Play golf, visit at the 19th hole. I prefer the gold tee;s becouse I'd rather hit a 7 or 8 iron second shot rather than a choked down 3 wood or a 4 iron. I have changed my driving habits with the golf carts. Instead of mashing the throttle and driving straight to the ball, I drive slowly and enjoy the beauty of the golf course,and this helps to not get to the ball and stand around and wondering why the group ahead is playing slow. They're not playing slow, it's just if you were walking to your shot it takes much more time as opposed to driving to your shot. Most men also don't know how far they hit their golf ball. I'll watch them hit their drive 180-200 yards, then wait till the group get off the green before hitting their next shot. They don't seem to realize they just hit their driver 180-200 yards the their next shot is well out of reach with them using a lesser club, yet they wait.

Back