Reducing equipment changes

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
BLUF: What are the benefits of reducing the number of equipment changes?

I ask because like many of you, I enjoy tinkering. Admittedly I could've avoided a couple changes by doing a bit more research, but I am currently very happy with the make up of my golf bag. I try to tell myself I won't make anymore changes, but that usually doesn't work out very well. I'm curious to know how often you low handicappers change gear. Or are handicap and the number of equipment changes not even not even remotely related?

Thoughts?

Some of the lowest handicap player's I know and play with are playing with older clubs. One of the very best, the father of pro bowler EJ Tackett, has a bag full of clubs 15+ years old and is a 5 handicap. He just has the natural ability to play plus he is a good 75 lbs. overweight.

It takes some level of natural ability to play golf and new equipment all the time will not change that.

I don't think hdcp and number of equipment changes are related. I played 3-4 different drivers during the summer, two sets or irons and still was able to drop strokes on my cap. One set of irons weren't event my normal specs.

I know this is going to sound cliche' but the clubs I get fitted for stay in my bag the longest. The stuff I buy on a whim tend to get replaced more frequently. Heck, I had my X-14 Callaway Irons for 12 years.

For me it is all about consistency. I've had all the same gear for several years now so there are no surprises. As long as I swing the club properly, I know exactly what it will do and how far it will go. There is no mental adjustment about a new club doing some thing different than an older club. It is all the same. Almost hate getting new things because I will know there will be a period where I have no idea what will happen with it.

I enjoy tinkering too. I've so far kept it restricted to just my driver/driver setup for the most part. I played my first set of irons for more than 15 years and my second set for about 15 years and going on 3 now with the current set. For me that gives me a certain comfort level - for both my good shots and my misses. Also makes me confident in yardages. I can see pros and cons to frequent changes:
Pros - Excitement. New stuff is always fun! Also, if you're playing poorly I think looking down at something new/different is sometimes all it takes.
Cons - Doubt. Doubting yardages, doubting if new stuff is really the right stuff, etc.

It seems to me by the time I realize how good a set was for me I have moved on to try something else, but the fact is the clubs do not make the golfer and we all know it. But some things in life just have to be enjoyed while it is possible, new clubs and tech are that way.

it obviously comes down to play what you want. if that means changing all the time, so be it.

I have the (likely erroneous) belief that there is something out there to give me more yards, tighter dispersion, better spin, etc. so I'm willing to try new things. fittings are fun, but I am
losing a little faith in the process when I can't hit "real world" shots and am confined to indoor mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUF: What are the benefits of reducing the number of equipment changes?

I ask because like many of you, I enjoy tinkering. Admittedly I could've avoided a couple changes by doing a bit more research, but I am currently very happy with the make up of my golf bag. I try to tell myself I won't make anymore changes, but that usually doesn't work out very well. I'm curious to know how often you low handicappers change gear. Or are handicap and the number of equipment changes not even not even remotely related?

Thoughts?

Of course there are benefits to maintaining the same bag, and not making sweeping changes. You get dialed in and then alter, and you see notably different results and reactions off the club face... Especially at a lower handicap when shots are a bit more predictable.

That said, I don't buy into limiting change for the sake of handicap. If that's what you enjoy about playing golf (trying new things, experiencing different tech) then dive right in. Do what makes you feel good and eventually you'll find something you never want to take out of the bag.

I think there is something to benefit from with consistency of the equipment you play. But I don't want to stop changing just for the sake of my handicap. I want to play what I want and enjoy the heck out of it. If I'm playing something I shouldn't, I probably won't enjoy it a ton and will work itself out.

Good stuff! It seems like a true, outdoor fitting could be the key. I can get one for 'free' since I'm an NCGA member, but they have a TaylorMade fitting center and seeing how I just swapped/upgraded my entire bag I'd rather not go that route again. The only reason I would do it is to check out different shafts, but it wouldn't be entirely accurate if I'm hitting PSis and then planning to make the change to the CF 16s. Personally I'd like to get what I have dialed in and only upgrade if something's broken or if it's a clear step up over what I currently have. Unfortunately, I like new shiny things so that's been difficult so far!

In my mind, focusing strictly on the game is a benefit of a set bag.

In my mind, focusing strictly on the game is a benefit of a set bag.

I definitely agree - but at the same time, there's joy to be had for tinkering and trying out new stuff for people as well.

I'll say it here, if I ever got into the GRANDADDY and had a full fitting at the ECPC, that would be the moment I stop tinkering. There would be no reason after that. Without the fitting, I'm just guessing what works for me and doesn't so it's that not knowing with 100% that keeps me from being in love with my bag.

I'll say it here, if I ever got into the GRANDADDY and had a full fitting at the ECPC, that would be the moment I stop tinkering. There would be no reason after that. Without the fitting, I'm just guessing what works for me and doesn't so it's that not knowing with 100% that keeps me from being in love with my bag.

I agree 100%. Getting everything fitted would definitely keep me from swapping out gear. Unless something broke of course :wink:

While it's not the grandaddy or the folks who,get to deal with your pros you could still go get a fitting at several respected places that would help take the guess work out of your tinkering correct?

I rarely change anything now. I need a couple wedges and I'll be set for a few years. I'm not a fan of tinkering all the time. I don't have the money to do so

I enjoy buying and trying new equipment. I didn't change as much as I usually do this past year, but when I do it's to fit a specific need. I don't think changing equipment and handicap are related, but I think you should have a good idea of what type of equipment or shafts, etc are best suited for your game when changing.

I personally think by staying with the same equipment you simply just get groved better with it. You get use to the swing weight you know your distances and may just have a better feel for the club. I would think that would produce better scores.

While it's not the grandaddy or the folks who,get to deal with your pros you could still go get a fitting at several respected places that would help take the guess work out of your tinkering correct?

Any idea how much a fitting like that would cost? Probably cost of clubs plus fitting time, right?

Any idea how much a fitting like that would cost? Probably cost of clubs plus fitting time, right?

The Callaway Performance Center near me is $150 for a full bag fitting (1.5 hours), with $75 of that going to the equipment.

I definitely agree - but at the same time, there's joy to be had for tinkering and trying out new stuff for people as well.

Totally with you, being on a small budget and tinkering with used stuff is how most of my bag came together. I think I would keep a set bag if I was in a position to get a completely new bag and fitted really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought new Hogan irons early this season.

My previous irons were Titleist DCI 962s which I believe that I bought in '97 or '98.

How does that rate for change frequency? I honestly don't know.

I bought new Hogan irons early this season.

My previous irons were Titleist DCI 962s which I believe that I bought in '97 or '98.

How does that rate for change frequency? I honestly don't know.

Compared to some THP'ers? That's a lifetime, haha!

Back