2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossfit was tough tonight. I was told I may be in this town another week, so I may have 1 more week after this.

Today we did parallel ring rows (hold 2 seconds at the top) 4x5
40m Farmers Carries

Then with partner (1 works while the other rest) 10 min circuit

5 BB overhead press
10 jump squats
15 Kettle Bell swings

Then to finish it off, hold a plank as much time as possible in 4 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough workout tonight. Squats are getting heavy for me, press was tough, but deadlift was pretty good. Got some weightlifting shoes and the difference on squats and deadlift was noticeable.
Here's my last set of squats. Felt like I was losing it a bit during the set, but looking at the video it disnt look as bad as it felt. I need to keep shoving my knees out.
http://youtu.be/8IFD-8QjGbc

Tough workout tonight. Squats are getting heavy for me, press was tough, but deadlift was pretty good. Got some weightlifting shoes and the difference on squats and deadlift was noticeable.
Here's my last set of squats. Felt like I was losing it a bit during the set, but looking at the video it disnt look as bad as it felt. I need to keep shoving my knees out.

Looks solid! Cleveland State's facilities look nice. I know a couple guys that went there to wrestle.

Nice kicks dude. I certainly noticed a difference in my depth and how much my quads complained the next day with heeled shoes lol

What shoes did you go with?

Just got back from the gym with my son. Nice little run on the treadmill, shoulders & back, and legs. Always good to get out and chat.

Then with partner (1 works while the other rest) 10 min circuit

5 BB overhead press
10 jump squats
15 Kettle Bell swings

I really like these partner workouts. The one I really like is goblet squats / 500m row.

I would advise against using the shoes for deadlifts since you're effectively making yourself taller and could mess up your setup posture. Not to mention forcing you to lift another 2 inches to lockout.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What shoes did you go with?

I went with the Adipower. Found a good price for my size on amazon.

That's a good looking set dude. Add 5lbs. How much are you eating? How much are you sleeping?

Keep those knees out a little. Maybe flare you're toes a touch wider. I'm not sure from the video, but that might help.

I like those shoes.

Edit: to add http://startingstrength.com/articles/getting_stuck_questions.pdf

I went with the Adipower. Found a good price for my size on amazon.

Are the training shoes, or strictly weightlifting shoes? I'm just curious because I was looking at new shoes but I like to run a mile before I start lifting.

I would advise against using the shoes for deadlifts since you're effectively making yourself taller and could mess up your setup posture. Not to mention forcing you to lift another 2 inches to lockout.

Those shoes have a 3/4" heel. It's not much. I deadlift in shoes and have no issues with setup. I know guys who only deadlift barefoot. But I like the extra little protection for my feet.

Socks. ;)
Those shoes have a 3/4" heel. It's not much. I deadlift in shoes and have no issues with setup. I know guys who only deadlift barefoot. But I like the extra little protection for my feet.

Are the training shoes, or strictly weightlifting shoes? I'm just curious because I was looking at new shoes but I like to run a mile before I start lifting.

Weightlifting shoes. They are not cushioned at all. Those specific shoes are on the lighter side, but I wouldn't want to run anywhere in them.

Socks. ;)

Socks won't add much protection at all. I'm on the fence about shoes or no for deads. I like them and other than raising my mid foot 3/8", no big deal

That's a good looking set dude. Add 5lbs. How much are you eating? How much are you sleeping?

Keep those knees out a little. Maybe flare you're toes a touch wider. I'm not sure from the video, but that might help.

I like those shoes.

Edit: to add http://startingstrength.com/articles/getting_stuck_questions.pdf
Thanks blu.

I've been sticking to 10 lb increases as I haven't missed any reps yet, but I'm feeling like that might happen soon. Would you suggest sticking to that or going down to 5 lb increases to prevent getting stuck?

I've been eating pretty well. Really just started tracking more closely. 3800 calories today. 230g of protein. 1/2GOMAD. Sleep could be better. You know how that can be I'm sure. Could eat more I feel too.

Thanks blu.

I've been sticking to 10 lb increases as I haven't missed any reps yet, but I'm feeling like that might happen soon. Would you suggest sticking to that or going down to 5 lb increases to prevent getting stuck?

I've been eating pretty well. Really just started tracking more closely. 3800 calories today. 230g of protein. 1/2GOMAD. Sleep could be better. You know how that can be I'm sure. Could eat more I feel too.
Go to 5lb increases now. I think 4,000 to 4,500 calories would serve you well. Dirty bulk.

Go to 5lb increases now. I think 4,000 to 4,500 calories would serve you well. Dirty bulk.
Just for you I'm having another pint of milk before bed.

Damn that's a lot of calories haha everyone is different tho and it'll be up to you to see how the calories are growing you. If you're more active or doing cardio or something you'll definitely need more. I actually cut my calories down a little because I was gaining too much fat around my stomach (go ahead and make jokes) but it was actually happening. I've got myself now to where I'm eating enough to fuel myself and feed my muscles without having a ton left over to go to my gut. I'm still consistently gaining weight but not too much at once. You can only gain muscle so fast, rest will be fat. A little fat on my frame isn't a bad thing but like I said, when you start to see a gut it's time to lower a bit. Just something to consider but you seem just fine so id just do you. Remember being skinny fat is pretty much the worst thing ever lol.

Far as the shoes go, you definitely do not want to do any cardio in them. They are rock solid and meant to be a solid base but ooooof they would suck to run in haha. I'll use mine for my entire workout but I'm only lifting. Deadlifts are absolutely fine for me with the shoes and I actually don't feel a difference. Pretty much for squats they are absolutely incredible and seems weird but I like them to bench because I feel like I can really drive my feet into the ground.

So fun story. There's a bro deadlifting and his girlfriend asked him how much it was. He told her 495. I, without thinking, said 435. He shot me an absolutely frightened look. He knew he just got called out on his bullshît.

Damn that's a lot of calories haha everyone is different tho and it'll be up to you to see how the calories are growing you. If you're more active or doing cardio or something you'll definitely need more. I actually cut my calories down a little because I was gaining too much fat around my stomach (go ahead and make jokes) but it was actually happening. I've got myself now to where I'm eating enough to fuel myself and feed my muscles without having a ton left over to go to my gut. I'm still consistently gaining weight but not too much at once. You can only gain muscle so fast, rest will be fat. A little fat on my frame isn't a bad thing but like I said, when you start to see a gut it's time to lower a bit. Just something to consider but you seem just fine so id just do you. Remember being skinny fat is pretty much the worst thing ever lol.

Far as the shoes go, you definitely do not want to do any cardio in them. They are rock solid and meant to be a solid base but ooooof they would suck to run in haha. I'll use mine for my entire workout but I'm only lifting. Deadlifts are absolutely fine for me with the shoes and I actually don't feel a difference. Pretty much for squats they are absolutely incredible and seems weird but I like them to bench because I feel like I can really drive my feet into the ground.
Yeah at this point I can still afford to put on as much weight as I can as quickly as I can. Trying to get strong and bigger. Wife has said my chest and shoulders look like they are looking more full so that's a win.

Yeah at this point I can still afford to put on as much weight as I can as quickly as I can. Trying to get strong and bigger. Wife has said my chest and shoulders look like they are looking more full so that's a win.
Right stronger and bigger, not fatter lol that's my main point. Long as you're growing in the right places. Trust me I'm the same boat with you brotha, time for gains!! I just found myself being realistic and realizing trying to gain like 2lbs every single week just simply cannot be pure muscle. Have you ever seen a skinny fat person? Seriously it's ugly lol you seem to be kicking ass tho man keep at it!

I clean up a bit before deads so I can go socks only. :)
Socks won't add much protection at all. I'm on the fence about shoes or no for deads. I like them and other than raising my mid foot 3/8", no big deal

If you were doing a 5+ third work set, I'd say 10+ reps add 10lbs, less add 5lbs.

(I'm enchanted by the 5+ last work set. Apologies.)
Thanks blu.

If you were doing a 5+ third work set, I'd say 10+ reps add 10lbs, less add 5lbs.

(I'm enchanted by the 5+ last work set. Apologies.)

Capt'n is running the Starting Strength novice program. He has been adding 10lbs to his squat work sets. 3 sets of 5 reps. Not just 10 lbs on his final work set. Always to 5. Never more and hopefully never less. The 5+ is part of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program which is not overly efficient for a novice lifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back