Do you use your swing speed effectively?

CBaker

2024 Team Hackers #FailsatFive
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I was reading this thread http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?78260-Driver-Club-Head-Speed

and it got me thinking. Do you use your swing speed effectively? As in, are you really getting out of it what you should?

I know I'm not. This has been confirmed by multiple bridgestone ball fittings that I basically suck at using my SS and should be getting around 10-20+ extra yards of carry from swing to swing. I used to have a swing speed around 112, but my driving was all over the place. Barely if ever caught the center of the face, and had to pray to the golf gods every time I hit my driver that it would stay in play and I'd be able to find it. I have now brought my SS down to a range from 104-108, and it feels much more in control and I'm actually hitting it further because of making better and more consistent contact. Even since becoming a much more consistent and better driver of the ball, I'm still not getting everything out of my swing that I should be able to. Swing issue aside since I'm happy with that part of my game right now, I am still aware that I could get more out of it.

So are you getting everything out of your swing that you could? If not, what do you think is holding you back? Are you doing anything about it, or are you currently content with your driving distance?

Sometimes not with my irons, but almost always with my woods and driver.

it's all about technique for me, and staying stable through my swing. Will be working hard in 2016 to improve the iron numbers.

So I was reading this thread http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?78260-Driver-Club-Head-Speed

and it got me thinking. Do you use your swing speed effectively? As in, are you really getting out of it what you should?

I know I'm not. This has been confirmed by multiple bridgestone ball fittings that I basically suck at using my SS and should be getting around 10-20+ extra yards of carry from swing to swing. I used to have a swing speed around 112, but my driving was all over the place. Barely if ever caught the center of the face, and had to pray to the golf gods every time I hit my driver that it would stay in play and I'd be able to find it. I have now brought my SS down to a range from 104-108, and it feels much more in control and I'm actually hitting it further because of making better and more consistent contact. Even since becoming a much more consistent and better driver of the ball, I'm still not getting everything out of my swing that I should be able to. Swing issue aside since I'm happy with that part of my game right now, I am still aware that I could get more out of it.

So are you getting everything out of your swing that you could? If not, what do you think is holding you back? Are you doing anything about it, or are you currently content with your driving distance?

You can swing really hard and NOT use it effectively. Smash factor is a better number to watch in my opinion, and THAT is were efficiency lies.

With my driver Ill say yes but with all my other clubs probably not. Ive also never been measured for iron ss so I dont really know.

Sometimes not with my irons, but almost always with my woods and driver.

it's all about technique for me, and staying stable through my swing. Will be working hard in 2016 to improve the iron numbers.
Nailed it with me as well. I hit my irons well, but not as well as I should. With my woods I think I'm just about as efficient as I can be with my SS.

You can swing really hard and NOT use it effectively. Smash factor is a better number to watch in my opinion, and THAT is were efficiency lies.

Completely agree. When my SS was up towards 112, the bridgestone fittings were spitting out numbers that I should have been around 280+ carry, and I was maybe in the 250's. Poor smash factor, along with a very negative AoA led to carry distances in the 250's. It wasn't good.

it's not uncommon for me to register smash of 1.50 or even higher with driver, which to my understanding means i'm getting everything possible out of my aoa, ss and spin. i think i could maximize my carry and total distance by improving my launch conditions, but at my ss i don't think there's a whole lot else to be improved on my best strikes. according to a trackman newsletter in may 2008, average pga tour smash for a 7i was 1.33, and when i was measured at the annika academy my 7i was registering 1.43 smash. not that i'm better than a pga tour player, just saying i'm probably maximizing the potential in my current swing.

Completely agree. When my SS was up towards 112, the bridgestone fittings were spitting out numbers that I should have been around 280+ carry, and I was maybe in the 250's. Poor smash factor, along with a very negative AoA led to carry distances in the 250's. It wasn't good.

Exactly, crazy you can have a swing speed of 110 and a 1.49 and fly by someone with a 115 and a 1.3.

I feel like I am definitely not getting my full potential of power/speed out of my swing. On the other hand, I am almost automatic in hitting fairways and have been told by my playing partners this past year my swing looks faster yet just as smooth. I think if I found a coach that I clicked with, my distance and overall speed would improve but I still need to invest in the time and money to make that happen.

I think I do with my irons, but probably not with my woods.

Last year was similar for me. I started the year with probably a faster swing speed (certainly swinging harder) and in the middle of the year slowed my tempo and speed. On my driver, my top end dropped from 290ish to maybe 270 (with my average dropping from 270 to 255) but my FIR's went from 40-50% up to 75%+.

With my irons, a more deliberate tempo has lengthened my distances (for example, 8i went from 135-140 to 145-155).

Sometimes less is more.

Back