I've used quite a few carrying caddies and it seems like just the basic good job is 20% over the standard caddie fee!!! For a great job I might double the fee!

I've only had a caddie once, and he was a forecaddie, we were in a cart. He was sort of cocky, didn't seem very interested in being there and I could tell he was upset that the other twosome that we were supposed to be paired with, never showed up. So, though he did his job, he wasn't the what I was expecting and thus I only tipped him what the clubhouse suggested, $20 minimum.

I haven't had a caddy before so this is just from what I have read when researching this when I was considering playing a course that had one. Assuming he/she is caddying just for me and not carrying two bags I would tip $50-60 for a regular caddy on top of the fee. If it's a forecaddy then $25-30.

If its Darryl at Pinehurst its $100 because he is awesome.
For me it depends on the carry, I would always give $50 at a minimum and then above depending on how well we clicked

You are playing at a nice place as a guest and you get a caddie/caddy. He is fun, energetic and always keeps your clubs clean, finds your ball and makes the round more enjoyable. What is the tip?
Most courses have a suggested amount right? That's the amount I'm paying. Hopefully that keeps me out of trouble. Though honestly, I'd ask the member prior to the round how much I should tip and go off that amount.

I'm interested in this too since I've never had a caddie and I'm confused between the rate and the rip and whether the base rate is paid by the club etc.

I caddied at the local club when I was growing up. We were paid by the player...the base rate was $6 and most guys paid around $8. If I got $10 I was psyched...ocassionally got $20 and felt like it hit the lotto. Times have changed.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I don't play many courses that provide caddies, but when I do I'll ask the pro shop, or starter what a reasonable tip would be, and go from there depending on their service.

This thread will be an educational experience for me. I've never played with a caddie.

Me neither this is a good read. I'm planning on playing a course that offers them this year and I will be taking advantage.

Threads like this remind me that I'm a cheap greedy bastard.

That's why I don't tip you :)

Going on past experience. If he's single bagging I'll do $100, if he's double bagging $75 if I'm assured that the other guy will tip at least the same amount. If I'm unsure, I'll usually error on the side of overtipping and go with the $100.

Forecaddy does a good job = $40 / bad job = $25 /great job=$60

1 bag good=$100 / bad=$80 / great=$120-130

double bag, knock of $20 from the 1 bag #'s

I've never had a caddy and no way I could afford to golf regularly if I had to tip a caddy.

What's he getting paid? Minimum wage? I might tip something but never close to $100. Not a chance

I haven't ever had to pay for a caddie, so really not sure. Back when I caddied at a country club (15 years ago) we made an average of $40 per bag in tips, always carrying 2 bags per round. The biggest tipper at the club was $100 per bag. I'm sure rates there have went up since then.

reading the comments in here, I really can't afford a caddie

This thread will be an educational experience for me. I've never played with a caddie.
Same, I honestly have no idea as I've never had one. I certainly would not want to offend the guy especially if he was fun.

I've only played with a forecaddie and it didn't cost me a penny #TheGrandaddy

I'd honestly have no clue what a good tip would be, but if $100 is a good tip, I'd probably play without one.

Maybe 2016 will be my year to play a course nice enough to get a caddy. Oregon trip maybe?!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I've never had a caddy and no way I could afford to golf regularly if I had to tip a caddy.

What's he getting paid? Minimum wage? I might tip something but never close to $100. Not a chance

You do realize that the caddies at a lot of courses don't get anything from the courses themselves? All of their wages come from golfers directly. So saying that you are tipping a caddy by paying him/her at the end of a round doesn't really fit in a lot of cases, because they aren't getting paid from anyplace else.

To answer the OP question: I pay the suggested rate of the course, and add $20 or so for really good service.

You do realize that the caddies at a lot of courses don't get anything from the courses themselves? All of their wages come from golfers directly. So saying that you are tipping a caddy by paying him/her at the end of a round doesn't really fit in a lot of cases, because they aren't getting paid from anyplace else.

To answer the OP question: I pay the suggested rate of the course, and add $20 or so for really good service.
Like I said, never golfed with one nor would I ever purposely. I'd have to quit golf if it meant paying a caddy on top of green fees.

$100 bucks

Never had a caddy so I guess I would tip based on the course.

I've never had a caddie and, although I'm sure a good one is worth every penny, it would have to be a very special event for me to spend that kind of money. All I would be thinking is what equipment I could buy or what new course could I play and why am I not taking care of my own clubs?

Good Caddies ... one's that do it all ... carry the bag, rake the bunkers, advice on break, etc. ... those should get around $100/round/bag. If the caddy is just carrying the bag, then $40/$50. If you use a forecaddie, that $100 should be split amongst the foursome.

hoenstly I don't know. I've only had a caddie out at The Hideaway. I gave the one caddy a dozen of the new Chrome softs.

Like I said, never golfed with one nor would I ever purposely. I'd have to quit golf if it meant paying a caddy on top of green fees.

I don't think this thread is talking about paying caddies regularly for all of your rounds. I think it's talking about paying a caddy for a special experience at a nice course. I highly doubt a one-time caddy fee is going to make anyone stop playing.

hoenstly I don't know. I've only had a caddie out at The Hideaway. I gave the one caddy a dozen of the new Chrome softs.

Didn't they have suggested rates and tipping rates posted at Bethpage? I thought they did. Something like $60 for the caddy with the understanding that you tipped him $100 on top of that…? I'm sure I'm making those numbers up, but I swear we talked a tiny bit about this either before, during, or after the round.

Back