2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

Some great reviews guys. There are some really exciting ball releases coming out and this will be high on my list. Really like last year's and if this is much improved...outstanding.

Keep the reviews coming guys and gals. It looks like it will be a very interesting year with all of the 2016 ball changes. I'm personally looking forward to the Callaway Chrome Soft vs. the Bridgestone B330-RX comparisions.

Same here. I liked version 1 but didn't love it and thought the B330 was a bit better for me.

So for guys who have slower swing speeds, will the higher compression cost in distance? Not sure if anyone who tested mets that criteria or not.

So for guys who have slower swing speeds, will the higher compression cost in distance? Not sure if anyone who tested mets that criteria or not.

Our group had all sorts of swing speeds and no one noticed any loss of distance

When I can stick the shot from the rough & below my feet and it not move was what sold me.

aeeb9c9973de7a3a0a9d431a561eb9ae.jpg

Ugh. Look at how perfect that green is

Maybe I missed it in here but does this new Chrome Soft officially have a higher compression than the original? If so, how much higher are we talking? Or does the new core make this an entirely different and new ball?

Maybe I missed it in here but does this new Chrome Soft officially have a higher compression than the original? If so, how much higher are we talking? Or does the new core make this an entirely different and new ball?

Yes it does. I believe it's around 10 compression firmer so it's around 75

The old version has been hands down my favorite ball for the last year. Cant wait to try out a box of the new version with truvis technology as well.

Thanks! Sounds like this should play remarkably similar to the FG Tour ball, which I consider the best ball on the market currently. I can't wait to try these new Chrome Softs.

Thanks! Sounds like this should play remarkably similar to the FG Tour ball, which I consider the best ball on the market currently. I can't wait to try these new Chrome Softs.

The FG Tour spun A LOT more off the tee for me. I wasn't a fan of that ball for that reason alone. It may just be me tho

Good feedback Harv and PhillV. I'm one of the rare ones who didn't care for the original - just didn't like the feel off the driver and putter. Sounds like this slightly firmer version is worth trying.
I didn't love the original either, and until reading your post, I really couldn't put my finger on why. I think I am in complete agreement with you.

I like these but not as much as the supersoft. Maybe the new version will make me change
Oddly enough (I think), I too preferred the SuperSoft to the original Chrome Soft.

I didn't love the original either, and until reading your post, I really couldn't put my finger on why. I think I am in complete agreement with you.

Oddly enough (I think), I too preferred the SuperSoft to the original Chrome Soft.

Put me in the camp that liked the SuperSoft compared to the ChromeSoft. Don't take it that I don't like the CS, I played it from when it came out to about May or so last year but once I tried the SS and compared it was a pretty clear switch for me. I'll certainly give the new CS a try in the next month (I'm on the road with my clubs in the next month).

Last edited:

iirc 75 was what we were told.

iirc 75 was what we were told.

I thought that's what we were told just wasn't positive. Hard to remember all the specifics lol most of it is still a blur

i didn't either and my limited time with these protos back in Oct I like these more.

I checked sports authority online, have a gift card, how can I tell if the ones they have listed are the newest ones?

I checked sports authority online, have a gift card, how can I tell if the ones they have listed are the newest ones?
I don't think these are released yet and the new version are labeled Chrome Soft••

I feel like I need to try these. Definitely going to grab a sleeve when they're available locally.

The box has been slightly updated and the top left corner has the words "New & Improved" and the front says the words "Dual SoftFast Core".

Did anyone notice the quotes from some Grandaddy participants on the Callaway website? I believe I saw Neb and Mikeg74 quoted. Good work guys!

The box has been slightly updated and the top left corner has the words "New & Improved" and the front says the words "Dual SoftFast Core".

Did anyone notice the quotes from some Grandaddy participants on the Callaway website? I believe I saw Neb and Mikeg74 quoted. Good work guys!
It was cool at the PGA show coverage from one of the year's past where there were THP quotes on their trade show display!!!

Its crazy how many balls you guys came back with haha i only have 5 left i think

Its crazy how many balls you guys came back with haha i only have 5 left i think
I took O'Carroll's advice and brought a dozen Chrome softs so when things went south I lost those and kept the protos for more forgiving courses at home. I've got about 18 left just waiting for the thaw to put them against the chrome soft and 330RX.

You guys did a great job on the reviews!
I'm definitely going to be giving these a chance to knock the original Chrome Softs out of my bag.

Back