2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

Anybody have a idea of which ball this can be compared to? Is there anything similar like this on the market?

Imho, nothing as of the moment.
I tend to agree with Jman here. Softer than the B330 and ProV1x yet similar characteristics everywhere else on the course. Although I feel like the Chrome Soft has a more durable cover than either the B330 or ProV1x.

My normal gamers this past year were B330RX and ChromeSoft (Truvis).

I played the new ChromeSoft at The Grandaddy as well as 3 rounds back home until the weather got bad. I had some really great drives with this out in California. It also really stopped on the green with my chips. There were a few I hit that really surprised me how well they just stuck because the greens there were pretty fast. It wasn't a fluke though, wedge shots were consistently sticking both days. The member in our group commented a few times on some of my wedge shots. He was also playing one that Ethan gave him and really was impressed. It was funny to watch him put it in his pocket on an approach over water b/c he didn't want to lose it.

I came home with a 6 sleeves and put them head to head with the older version Chromesofts. I played both off the tee one day, and hit chips into the green with both. I was seeing a few yards on average more distance off the tee and a little more stopping power on the green with the wedges. Paired with MD3 wedges these balls just stick on the green. For me, this ball appears to be just as durable as last year's, after 18 holes both years models were in great shape. I can not wait for the weather to break so I can get out some more with these. Initial thoughts are that this ball is pretty good and an improvement over last year's.

Good feedback Harv and PhillV. I'm one of the rare ones who didn't care for the original - just didn't like the feel off the driver and putter. Sounds like this slightly firmer version is worth trying.

So was this the Chrome soft ** or is that a different ball all together?

Looking forward to trying this one out. Callaway has been killing it in the ball department from my experience over the past couple of years.

Really like what I'm hearing from the Grandaddy guys. If I had one gripe about the original, it would be the feel off the driver. Like PhillyV said, I wanted something a little firmer. This caused me to still use the B330S occasionally. I loved everything else about the original and can't wait to get my hands on the new Chromesoft. Keep the reviews coming!

Having played the 2015 Chrome Soft most of last year, I had a pretty good baseline on what the previous version provided. Where they did improve was the cover and the core. Since the 2015 version was a 3 piece ball and this one is a 4 piece ball, I expected a "harder" feeling ball by nature of the construction. This is where I was wrong. The ball felt just as good off the tee and iron (not clicky or feeling like a rock) and even though the compression is up a bit from the 65 compression of last year, they still maintained the soft fee with scoring irons and wedges. Talking with the Callaway golf ball R&D guys they attributed this directly to the Dual Core. Based on what the tour was commenting on and how to balance that to the average golfer, they built the new core to spin more with their wedges and irons & less on longer clubs.

I've played this ball head to head with the following balls and these are the thoughts I came away with:

- 2016 Chrome Soft v Srixon ZStar - even though the ZStar has a higher compression rating (90) than the Chrome Soft, I felt like this ball played the closest in terms of feel and spin with scoring irons & wedges. Off the putter the Chrome Soft felt better and gave me the audible feedback I like. Off the tee and with longer clubs, I liked the Chrome Soft. I don't have a higher swing speed so the lower compression fits me better.

- 2016 Chrome Soft v ProV1 - FOR ME, the Chrome Soft outperformed the PRoV1 in all areas. I saw longer tees shots (between 5-8 yards based on the shots i tracked), felt better off my irons and approach shots & more importantly I actually have better spin control with the Chrome Soft. I dont normally spin the ball a lot and if i pull a ball back with my wedges it's a fluke. What I do consistently see is one hop and stop or a little run out. Comparing the two, the Chrome Soft consistently checked up when I needed it to & the roll out was less.

I know we are all different and want different things from our golf balls. With this offering I can see where a majority of golfers will see improved results. The compression is up a bit from last years 65 compression, so that will go a long way to fitting the higher swing speeds.

I really like the original Chrome Soft, so to be able to improve on it, makes me want to get a new dozen or 5 and get them into play asap! Great stuff so far fellas!

I can't wait to buy a dozen of these balls. The reviews here are making this an easy choice regarding whether to stay with Chrome soft or switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is!

Neb was kind enough to give me a sleeve, and holy cow did I get some spin on these things, I don't normally get that out of a ball and was very surprised by it, I still have them and can't wait to do a side by side with the previous chrome soft in the coming weeks.

I only have one round with it, so not a ton of say as of yet, but from what I've seen so far, I'll be getting more of these for sure!!!

Having played the 2015 Chrome Soft most of last year, I had a pretty good baseline on what the previous version provided. Where they did improve was the cover and the core. Since the 2015 version was a 3 piece ball and this one is a 4 piece ball, I expected a "harder" feeling ball by nature of the construction. This is where I was wrong. The ball felt just as good off the tee and iron (not clicky or feeling like a rock) and even though the compression is up a bit from the 65 compression of last year, they still maintained the soft fee with scoring irons and wedges. Talking with the Callaway golf ball R&D guys they attributed this directly to the Dual Core. Based on what the tour was commenting on and how to balance that to the average golfer, they built the new core to spin more with their wedges and irons & less on longer clubs.

I've played this ball head to head with the following balls and these are the thoughts I came away with:

- 2016 Chrome Soft v Srixon ZStar - even though the ZStar has a higher compression rating (90) than the Chrome Soft, I felt like this ball played the closest in terms of feel and spin with scoring irons & wedges. Off the putter the Chrome Soft felt better and gave me the audible feedback I like. Off the tee and with longer clubs, I liked the Chrome Soft. I don't have a higher swing speed so the lower compression fits me better.

- 2016 Chrome Soft v ProV1 - FOR ME, the Chrome Soft outperformed the PRoV1 in all areas. I saw longer tees shots (between 5-8 yards based on the shots i tracked), felt better off my irons and approach shots & more importantly I actually have better spin control with the Chrome Soft. I dont normally spin the ball a lot and if i pull a ball back with my wedges it's a fluke. What I do consistently see is one hop and stop or a little run out. Comparing the two, the Chrome Soft consistently checked up when I needed it to & the roll out was less.

I know we are all different and want different things from our golf balls. With this offering I can see where a majority of golfers will see improved results. The compression is up a bit from last years 65 compression, so that will go a long way to fitting the higher swing speeds.

Love these thoughts, Mike. This ball sounds fantastic.

So, I really really really am and have been enjoying these off of the tee, I still have 15 of my 24 from December so that's not too bad IMO. Definitely seeing less spin off the tee compared to the Chrome (yes, I hit them on my monitor on the course to see), only a couple hundred RPM for me, but its enough to make a difference.

Most impressively is they keep that same feel that I have enjoyed out of gaming the Chrome the past year even with the slight compression increase, big deal for me especially off the irons as I am one that even at a higher end of the spectrum SS prefers that softer feeling. The dual core is doing work here IMO.

Favorite area? Wedges into greens and chips/pitches. Holy check batman. I can spin these back pretty well but more importantly I have that bump-bump-check little greenside shot that is my favorite go to. Seems a bit more predictable for me compared to the chrome, more time needed there for sure. I will say though, I did have some damn fine short game shots with these, including chipping in on Harry twice (woot woot!).

The only knock I had in December was the cover durability, but from what Pete told me, that was being addressed and no concern.

More soon as I have a bunch of thoughts saved on my laptop at home.

This is the Chrome Soft **. I can post pictures once i get home of the printing on the ball

This is the Chrome Soft **. I can post pictures once i get home of the printing on the ball
c47ff3fa9177662e5c78e64262eea42c.jpg

Sorry for the red line. It's the only one I have currently

2 dots to represent the dual core?

I can't wait to buy a dozen of these balls. The reviews here are making this an easy choice regarding whether to stay with Chrome soft or switching.

I have about 18 of the original Chrome Soft left and once theyre gone, im making the switch to the new ball. Its just better for me

Maybe, but i would think its just an easier way to distinctively tell the difference between the two Chrome Soft balls without changing much to the looks

Maybe, but i would think its just an easier way to distinctively tell the difference between the two Chrome Soft balls without changing much to the looks

I figured someone at the grandaddy might have asked if there was a reason behind the 2 dots haha

I figured someone at the grandaddy might have asked if there was a reason behind the 2 dots haha

I believe they said the •• will not be on the 2016 market release, it was there only to differentiate the 2016 and 2014 for USGA reasons for Tour Playability, I could be wrong though

I have a $50 gift card I got for Christmas that had been sitting waiting to spent on something, I just found that something to spend it on. :banana:

I'll be interested in trying them out! Looks like another winner for Callaway!

It was a way to tell them apart as I understood it. The two ** was known as the Proto ball and won't be on the retail version.

To piggy back on what James mentioned, the cover wasn't as durable as I would have liked expected, but as we were told the retail version would have this addressed.

I thought I read the whole thread so sorry if it has been mentioned. Any idea when these will be available?

I asked Mr. Finley and according to the PGA the balls have to be uniquely named and since they still had the OG Chrome soft in play they had to add the dots. I asked why not just one dot, and he said they used the single dot on a proto that Phil played when the chrome soft came out, so it was already taken. Nothing special about the two dots, just naming to differentiate it.

Back