Star Wars VII Discussion (Spoilers)

Watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it. I'd consider myself a sci-fi fan though not nearly as big into the culture as a lot of others...working at a comic book store ruined me for climbing too deep into geekdom for pretty much anything.

It's a good movie, and it's fun to watch as it's been a long time since we watched a Star Wars storyline we didn't already know the ending to (which is, I think, a big part of what damaged the prequel trilogy...knowing the ending already makes it much easier to study the nuances and ultimately find the flaws in a film rather than get caught up in the story.) Yes, there are a ton of winks, nods, allusions, comparable lampshades, intentional inversions of plot points, and other fan-service moments in episode VII. I think JJ Abrams is occasionally too much a fanboy of the source material, but I also understand that if he doesn't do enough to pay homage to the original trilogy, people would say he's hijacking the franchise. It's a tough edge to dance on, but I think he's pretty successful at it. He does a pretty clever dance through the first half of the film or so making you guess at who the new force-wielding protagonist is going to be, though it seemed odd that he does nothing to disguise the identity of Kylo Ren. I do wonder how much they're going to tear into Ren's descent into the dark side of the force...we went all three movies of the original trilogy simply accepting Kenobi's explanation that Anakin was seduced by the dark side of the force, but we eventually got three movies explaining his transformation in (laborious) detail.

Kylo and Rae are the only major characters with notable British accents. I'm not sure that means anything (IIRC, Kylo is played by an American and Rae by a Brit), but it was something I noticed. Finn is played by a British actor, but did not have an accent to speak of. Hmm.

I did see it in 3D, which by and large enriched the experience, I think. Probably the first film I've seen in 3D I can say that about. There are times I find it distracting, like when a foreground object is blurred so as to focus on something in the center of the frame...to me the amount they blur a foreground object and the backdrop never lines up with my eye. But for the most part, I think it was very well-executed.

So does Episode VII belong as part of the vast story arc? I think so. Does it have me excited for Episode VIII? A bit. I can't say it has me over the moon. I worry attempting to make a film with a comparable about of homages as this one had to episode IV will be too much. The amount of winking and nodding reached the point of pulling me out of the moment during this film (X-Wings racing down a trench?! Really!?,) and I can only hope they don't do the same with the sequels. I think that's my biggest concern. Also, my worry is that Daisy Ridley will have to find a more emotionally engaging performance than she delivered in this one. The wave of nostalgia helped cover her very understated acting...about the only time you get a sense of strong emotion out of her was when she was fighting Ren, and those are the expressions she's going to have to cut down on during her Jedi training. She needs to find a way to engage the audience while still making us believe she's a Jedi in training, and that's going to be a tough sell based on what I saw in Episode VII.

Finally saw the movie yesterday. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. And that's all that matters.

Star Wars VII Discussion (Spoilers)

My dad took me to see A New Hope when I was 11. Today I got to take my 8 and 10 year olds to see The Force Awakens and it was awesome in so many different ways.

Loved that JJ kept the theme similar no matter how much they were alike. It was perfect.

I'm on the Rae not being Luke's daughter.....just too predictable.

Can't wait for the next one.

c6fb6bade3645e4362d08b1bdbe355be.jpg

My dad took me to see A New Hope when I was 11. Today I got to take my 8 and 10 year olds to see The Force Awakens and it was awesome in so many different ways.

Loved that JJ kept the theme similar no matter how much they were alike. It was perfect.

I'm on the Rae not being Luke's daughter.....just too predictable.

Can't wait for the next one.

c6fb6bade3645e4362d08b1bdbe355be.jpg

First I am so happy that theaters have moved towards the recliner style seats - so comfy.

Second it's so special Sharing the experience with the kids. I saw ROTJ when I was five. My Dad took me and it's the first movie I vividly remember seeing in a Theater. I took my son to see TFA and he's five and LOVED it. The generational enjoyment of Star Wars makes it special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First I am so happy that theaters have moved towards the recliner style seats - so comfy.

Second it's so special Sharing the experience with the kids. I saw ROTJ when I was five. My Dad took me and it's the first movie I vividly remember seeing in a Theater. I took my son to see TFA and he's five and LOVED it. The generational enjoyment of Star Wars makes it special.

Breaking down the story lines and plots is fine but seeing it with my kiddos was the true story line for me.

Breaking down the story lines and plots is fine but seeing it with my kiddos was the true story line for me.

Me too!

Best description of star wars ever!!!

I will say, I don't know what roll Captain Phasma (played by Gwendoline Christie) will be but I was a little shocked at how easily persuaded she was to lower the shields at the end. Didn't really put up much fight. Wanted to see her get after it a bit with Han and Chewy!

I will say, I don't know what roll Captain Phasma (played by Gwendoline Christie) will be but I was a little shocked at how easily persuaded she was to lower the shields at the end. Didn't really put up much fight. Wanted to see her get after it a bit with Han and Chewy!
I was disappointed how she was used in general. How could such a cool looking character barely be used and put up no fight to lower the shields.

Luke's ex-wife. You heard it here first. :D

Finally! Kiddo and I are heading to the theater tomorrow, later afternoon, to watch. Schedule over the holidays and starting this month was just too hectic. Even if it is similar to ANH, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. And, as much as the first 3 (story order) weren't fantastic movies, I at least appreciated that they were laying the history for the "later" movies.

My daughter enjoyed binging on the first 6 movies during the holidays, and is ready to go as well. Like some others, I can remember seeing 4-6 with my parents, and then asking them for every Star Wars action figure and vehicle I could get my hands on.

This is happening tonight at 11:00.

Saw this last week. Kinda tacky at parts, but also very good at other parts as well. I enjoyed it a bit, and look forward to episode 8.

Spoiler
They could have made the last 30 seconds of the movie really really kick ass though with literally the flick of a button. Come on Luke, just take the light saber and turn the damn thing on. It can be in the process of fading to black, it could be a black screen and all you see is the light saber itself, whatever. I won't be picky.

Saw this last week. Kinda tacky at parts, but also very good at other parts as well. I enjoyed it a bit, and look forward to episode 8.

Spoiler
They could have made the last 30 seconds of the movie really really kick ass though with literally the flick of a button. Come on Luke, just take the light saber and turn the damn thing on. It can be in the process of fading to black, it could be a black screen and all you see is the light saber itself, whatever. I won't be picky.
I felt the same way. Not great, not awful but I'm curious to see where they are taking this. I'll be back for 8

I felt the same way. Not great, not awful but I'm curious to see where they are taking this. I'll be back for 8

The cynic in me says to watch episode 5 and you'll have your answer

I hope I'm wrong though!

Spoiler

even just fade to black and hearing the noise of it.

when I walked out of the theater I thought the same thing. It was good, not great. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it. I'm going to see it again because I know there are things that I probably missed.

even just fade to black and hearing the noise of it.

YES. THAT. Literally any of that would have been a WWHHHAAATTTTT and just start a buzz.

I'm going to see it again because I know there are things that I probably missed.
ill be doing this as well. Now that I know what all happens 2nd time through I can just appreciate the movie better.

If 8 comes out like ESB I'll be done....

Finally saw the movie this last weekend so I wanted to post a few thoughts.

I'm on board the "Rey is a Kenobi" train. Same accent, loners on a desert world... Obi-Wan may have had a kid (maybe even unknowingly) with someone after the Purge and she could be his granddaughter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I initially thought. The Jedi mind trick "these are not the droids you're looking for" is Kenobi's thing. Luke tried it but didn't work as well if I recall correctly. The loners on a desert world work for both Anakin and Luke as well.
I don't disagree with that, and it makes sense that it would end up being Ren vs Rey in a battle of Skywalker lineage (Anakin's grandchildren battling for good/evil). The Skywalkers obviously are incredibly powerful/important to this story so understand that 100%.

To make Fin Mace Windu's grandson/Lando's nephew or something else makes it needlessly tied in (IMHO). If he ends up being related to one of them it might diminish my enjoyment by 0.01%, or possibly less so overall a VERY minor quibble on something that is only pure speculation.
Anakin's grandchildren (Ren & Rey) make the most sense. Luke's light saber called to Rey and once she touched it she had the visions. Additionally, Ren tried to use the force to pull it to him but it went to Rey instead.

I think that Rey's command of the force is much stronger than Ren's even though she has no training.

Did anyone else notice that it looked like the Millennium Falcon that left the child Rey on Jakku during her vision?
This also make sense because Han and Leia didn't seem surprised by her abilities when they talked about "the girl".

Fin being Mace Windu's grandson seems likely. Lando had no Jedi powers. Fin obviously has some force sensitivity since he can use a light saber and he falls onto the "good" side of the force because he broke through the First Order's brainwashing and couldn't commit murder.

Ren's use of the "mask" in the movie is twofold.
Movie: He's trying to emulate grandpa Anakin.
Reality: Without the mask he looks/sounds like the evil warlock from Harry Potter.

My WAG: Rey is the most powerful Jedi, defeats Ren and is saved from becoming a Darthette only because of Fin.

Spoiler

Did you Inception the thread? Spoiler in a spoiler thread? So meta dude.

Back