2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday after working out with my fitness club kids we finished with airdyne bikes. Did a tabata workout for 16 rounds. We all were gassed.

While it's not for anyone powerlifting, it serves it's purpose. Any gym that's convenient and gets you in there is a win in my book. Now you can't use the excuse of its to far or I don't feel like driving there's it's literally right there. So I hope it works out! And dang I wish I could get a free pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I envision I will see lots of this

<a href="https://youtu.be/wRbRHGRZYsg" target="_blank">

Good workout last night. I'm feeling it in my shoulders and arms this morning.

Thought i'd jump in here. I've always been athletic my whole life, but would never hit the gym, and never really been muscular. Since stopping most sports other than pickup hockey and golf since high school now 10 years ago, i've of course put on some dad weight and wanted to take care of it.

I started going to the gym with my co-worker during our lunch breaks around the fall last year, september-ish. Didn't take anything super seriously, but tried hard enough to see some ok results with some different programs i've seen. Since going my favorite exercises were all barbell stuff, squats, deads, presses etc.

Fast forward to now and i'm 6 workouts into SL 5x5. Current #'s that i completed are bench 145, squat 250, deadlift 320, Row 125, OHP 75. The rows and OHP's i may have started too low, but i know those will climb up in weight fast.

I find the program alot of fun, its quick (perfect for a lunch hour workout), simple, and effective.

I'm not entirely sure just what my goals are yet as far as what i want out of myself, but i'm just having a good time getting into the gym 4-5x a week and feeling better about myself. I'm 5'9" and currently hover around 203-205lb. When i started at the gym i was probably about the same weight, maybe + a couple pounds, but a WHOLE lot less muscle. I'm the same weight now, but i can already see that some of that weight is now muscle.

I guess end goals would maybe be to be a more athletic build 195lb, lose some of the dad gut, and have way more strength than before. The weight/gut thing may be an issue, as i haven't dedicated myself to clean eating as of just yet.

I'll be active in this thread from now on though, hopefully encouraging others on their programs and to find encouragement for myself to reach new goals!

Took my brace off today and tried to just hold a 20lb dumbbell, it was still pretty tender. I'm hoping by next week sometime I can actually lift again.

Took my brace off today and tried to just hold a 20lb dumbbell, it was still pretty tender. I'm hoping by next week sometime I can actually lift again.

Don't over do it to soon. You know this, I know. I've just been there before and tried to much to soon and put myself back even farther because I was to impatient.

Don't over do it to soon. You know this, I know. I've just been there before and tried to much to soon and put myself back even farther because I was to impatient.
Yeah for sure man, good advice. I'll definitely be on here bitching if I do and get set back another 2 weeks hahaha ugh. Going to try and avoid that.

I'd just do as many leg lifts and dumbbell lifts with your one hand. Have you tried a wrist wrap to help with the support?

I'd just do as many leg lifts and dumbbell lifts with your one hand. Have you tried a wrist wrap to help with the support?

Yeah honestly dont tell anyone, but ive been doing a bit of cardio lol just something to keep me active but of course not enough for me to lose weight. I just have an ace bandage when my brace is off but that doesnt support too well. I wish I had more weight for my leg press, my cable machine only goes to 410 and for a press it's pretty easy for me. Squatting is so much harder hahaha

My back is really sore, I hope I didn't tweak it today during deadlifts

Uh oh someone went ham haha seriously tho I hope it's nothing dude, a sore back freaking sucks!

Uh oh someone went ham haha seriously tho I hope it's nothing dude, a sore back freaking sucks!

Ya, I was dumb, idk why I insisted on hitting a new max. I should have just left it be when I missed 375 the first two times. I'm just trying to stay mobile and stretch because I don't want it to lock up on me.

Where does it hurt?

Where does it hurt?

Lower back, about as low on the back as you can get. the muscles around the spine are very tight. And if I sit in one spot for awhile it's really stiff.

Lower back, about as low on the back as you can get. the muscles around the spine are very tight. And if I sit in one spot for awhile it's really stiff.

Along the spine?

Ya, I was dumb, idk why I insisted on hitting a new max. I should have just left it be when I missed 375 the first two times. I'm just trying to stay mobile and stretch because I don't want it to lock up on me.

Yeah man I'm sure some will disagree but I don't see the point in trying to hit a new max every time. You can gain plenty of strength training at even 60-70% and then try for a max down the road. What's the point of just grinding and missing reps? Just my opinion, not directed at you for this instance, just in general I mean.

More running the length of my pelvis, than along the spine.

Woof. I've battled that. 4 Advil multiple times a day. Ice. Compression. Heat.

Yeah man I'm sure some will disagree but I don't see the point in trying to hit a new max every time. You can gain plenty of strength training at even 60-70% and then try for a max down the road. What's the point of just grinding and missing reps? Just my opinion, not directed at you for this instance, just in general I mean.

No I fully agree, I typically am not that into numbers, but I had the gym to myself this morning and thought what heck let's see what I can do. But hey I did add 13 lbs from my previous max

There's no reason to hit a new 1rm every time you're training. It's not useful.

There's no reason to hit a new 1rm every time you're training. It's not useful.
K well at least I'm not totally crazy lol

Jspangs hope you feel better dude

Woof. I've battled that. 4 Advil multiple times a day. Ice. Compression. Heat.

Ya I've battled back problems. Heck I hurt my back to the point where I couldn't swing thru the ball, my swingspeed dropped to about 82 mph. But I've got it back to where I was up to 105 mph last sim session. So I'll just take it easy and work thru it.

Ya I've battled back problems. Heck I hurt my back to the point where I couldn't swing thru the ball, my swingspeed dropped to about 82 mph. But I've got it back to where I was up to 105 mph last sim session. So I'll just take it easy and work thru it.

Yeah I've been through lower back issues when I was an Autobody Tech painting and doing so much bs body work lol it's no fun and I decided I hated crawling on the ground because of it. A comfy computer chair suits me better now haha I still make sure to watch my form and not push too hard because I'm really afraid of having issues again.

Really stepping up my fitness this year. Have said I would do it too many times to count, but for the last 2 months I haven't missed a gym session or a weight watchers meeting. Down 22 lbs, and up Idk how much muscle. Been flipping tractor tires and pushing sleds! Starting to now feel the energy benefits of dieting and hard workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back