Wondering if anyone saw this...

First, I think it is a great picture with strong symbolism of the sacrifice that you, and other service families make for our country. I would be curious to see what the response would be if instead of using the flag as a hammock to hold the baby, that the baby was being cradled with the flag under it and then draped over the soldiers left arm. Just a different nurturing pose than the one used.
That's not a critique of the work, I'm just curious to see if the social reaction would be different.

It is a shame that people are always picking a side and pointing fingers. It is, in fact, entirely possible to think this is a beautiful symbolic picture and maintain in your head that by military code it is also an improper use of the flag.

Mrs. Hicksta, thank you for taking a moving picture which can be interpreted in so many different ways, as good art should.

That's freaking awesome

That's a great picture. Give Mrs. Hicksta a high five from me!

First, I think it is a great picture with strong symbolism of the sacrifice that you, and other service families make for our country. I would be curious to see what the response would be if instead of using the flag as a hammock to hold the baby, that the baby was being cradled with the flag under it and then draped over the soldiers left arm. Just a different nurturing pose than the one used.
That's not a critique of the work, I'm just curious to see if the social reaction would be different.

I wondered that myself since what sparked the entire thing was a Facebook page called 'So You Think You're a Photographer'. The 'service' they used to provide is taking pictures from photographers websites and/or Facebook pages and ripping them. In my wife's case things got a little wild and she received a number of threats over the picture. She learned a lot from the experience though and her work has evolved as a result. Funny how things work out!

Great photo, that's awesome.

I wondered that myself since what sparked the entire thing was a Facebook page called 'So You Think You're a Photographer'. The 'service' they used to provide is taking picture from photographers websites and/or Facebook pages and ripping them. In my wife's case things got a little wild and she received a number of threats over the picture. She learned a lot from the experience though and her work has evolved as a result. Funny how things work out!

Crazy that she received so much grief for it, but people are crazy these days. Tell her to keep it up as she does nice work, and I'm sure the folks she photographs think the same as I do.

That photo is incredible and anyone who can possibly find anything disrespectful about it is nuts. To me it shows respect for the flag, our service men, and of American youth. I'm a Viet Nam era vet and my grand nephew is on current naval deployment in the western Pacific (USS John C. Stennis - CVN 74), and the image in that photograph speaks volumes to me.

Back