Considering new wedges...

woody140284

Addicted to Golf
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently gaming the Nike VR Pro wedges, if I'm honest, pretty much only because they match my irons :act-up: I've got to the point now where I have a bit of money saved up to get some new woods and wedges but could do with a bit of advice/ experience from others...

Initially I thought I would just go for the new Nike Engage wedges, as 1, they are Nike, and 2 they look pretty cool, however, I think I should open up my eyes a bit and look at the possibility of others. Cleveland, Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, others? (I'm not counting out the Nikes)

Bit about my wedge game.... I used to hit 60 for everything up to 100 yards, recently though I've moved to using my 56 for most shots between 30-120 then using the 60 for more lofted shots. My 52 is used between 120-135. I'm more of a digger than a sweeper, so love a good divot, but also at times catch things fat.

Any advice, recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated as changing all 3 wedges is going to be at least £300. I want to make sure I get something ideal to my game.

Thanks!

I would take a look at the new Callaway Black Matte PM Grind Wedges or the Cleveland Rotex 2.0.

I love my MD3s. I would say find a demo day and try some out on the grass.

My top 3 wedge preferences are Callaway MD3 and PM grind, Wilson Staff PMP or Fg tour, Cleveland RTX2.0

Being a TaylorMade guy, I'd suggest you try the EF series wedges. I really like mine and how they feel. The ATV grinds are nice. That being said, I feel like Callaway makes the best wedges in the game. I've heard nothing but great things about the MD3's.

My "sleeper" would probably be the Wilson Staff PMP wedges.

I would look for a wider sole, or a wedge with more bounce. Ping WS (wide sole) Tour Gorge wedges could be a suggestion. They can be had cheap on the bay

I would look for a wider sole, or a wedge with more bounce. Ping WS (wide sole) Tour Gorge wedges could be a suggestion. They can be had cheap on the bay

I echo this. I'm also more of a digger, and found the wider sole/higher bounce setup to be perfect for me. I have an SM5 K-grind and I love it. Hopkins makes a mean wide sole as well, it's fantastic if the wide sole suits you.

Look at the new W/S PMP wedge line. They're just released, and sit at slightly about $100 price point. They replace the FG Tour TC wedges which are also a damn fine wedge, and can be bought new for around $50 now.

Honestly, you have a couple dozen options, and don't think you could go wrong on any of them once you find one that fits your game.

Bridgestone J15 wedges are the best on the market. Enough said.

Since they don't make SCOR wedges anymore I suggest looking at the new Hogan wedges, same design with V soles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vokeys and the MD3s are the best in the game IMO. The engage wedges are a solid offering as well.

Vokeys and the MD3s are the best in the game IMO. The engage wedges are a solid offering as well.

I agree with this! But definitely go with whichever feels best for you.

The choices are endless and very subjective. Find what fits your eye and your style. Try as many brands as you can.

The choices are endless and very subjective. Find what fits your eye and your style. Try as many brands as you can.

Very true. I used Vokeys for a long time and had won a Callaway Mack Daddy. I wasn't even going to try it and had planned to sell it. Months later after a frustrating round, I decided to unwrap it and put it in the bag and it hasn't left since. I just felt more comfortable hitting from tight, firm lies with it and less fear of skulling it over the green. And it was equally good from the sand and rough, so the Vokeys are now in the garage.

Thanks guys. Definitely going to try out the Callaway MD3 wedges, especially with the wide sole version available. Think will still take a look at the Engage wedges, but I am liking the look of the MD3s. Anyone played with one of the PM Grind versions?

There are lots of great wedges out there. I think you need to evaluate the type of turf and sand conditions of the courses you play before you decide which direction you want to go. Bounce, different grinds, and loft variation are quite variable from one manufacturer to the next. Good luck!

You should also think about the shaft and swing weight.
Which shaft do you play in your irons? Which wedge do you play mostly with a full swing or with a partial swing?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

It has been said here many times that all wedges spin the ball about the same, technique is more important. So that more or less leaves sole grinds/configurations, look and feel and price.

I'm currently gaming the Nike VR Pro wedges, if I'm honest, pretty much only because they match my irons :act-up: I've got to the point now where I have a bit of money saved up to get some new woods and wedges but could do with a bit of advice/ experience from others...

Initially I thought I would just go for the new Nike Engage wedges, as 1, they are Nike, and 2 they look pretty cool, however, I think I should open up my eyes a bit and look at the possibility of others. Cleveland, Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, others? (I'm not counting out the Nikes)

Bit about my wedge game.... I used to hit 60 for everything up to 100 yards, recently though I've moved to using my 56 for most shots between 30-120 then using the 60 for more lofted shots. My 52 is used between 120-135. I'm more of a digger than a sweeper, so love a good divot, but also at times catch things fat.

Any advice, recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated as changing all 3 wedges is going to be at least £300. I want to make sure I get something ideal to my game.

Thanks!
I'm biased but I love the Vokeys. The new SM6 look awesome! Plus they have a number of grinds and a progressive CG for shot making, distance & trajectory control. At least 2 of them will be in my bag when they are released. But there a number of good companies out there with great wedges. .. Cleveland, Callaway, Mizuno, etc

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Definitely going to try out the Callaway MD3 wedges, especially with the wide sole version available. Think will still take a look at the Engage wedges, but I am liking the look of the MD3s. Anyone played with one of the PM Grind versions?

If you only use the 60 on short, high lofted shots, the PM Grind wedge would be a great club to give a try. I own a 60 PM grind and the thing basically hits flop shots by itself. It is so easy to hit and is also a great bunker club too.

I also recently upgraded to the Mizuno S5 wedges but I haven't gotten to use them outside due to winter here. I did get to hit it at the local range off the mats this past weekend when it was warm enough and I was also quite impressed with how high the 60 launched and spun off the mats. I haven't tried to open the face up on them yet but I think the S5 wedge seem to be relatively underrated.

I ordered New Vokey SM6's Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for the RTX 2.0, Wilson staff PMP, or Callaway md3. Each has its own merit and strong suit but hitting them all will prove fruitful for you game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the wedges mentioned seem to have their own individual character but I personally like the heavier D6 swing weight of Cleveland vs the Vokey D5 and Callaway or Mizuno D4. Wedges are like wives, you need to spend a lot of time with them to understand them and then sometimes they still don't work out.

Back