Business Travel Golf

Bcape9

#TeamEvolve
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
My company has recently given me the opportunity to travel more frequently and I was wondering how THP’ers feel about golfing while on a business trip.

Do you bring your clubs if you know you’ll have some down time while in town, rent if you have the time, or leave all that for when you get home?

For me right now, having the chance to play courses I would not normally be able to is very intriguing, but being so new to this role I don’t want it to seem that I am taking advantage. I think I’ll save up some frequent flyer points for a golf trip later.

Congrats on the new opportunity! I've traveled for my job before and worked golf into it by going out a day early, flying on a Saturday to the west coast to play Sunday for example. I turned it into a work social a few times by having my work contacts play with me if possible.

I dont travel much for work anymore, but when I do and the schedule permits it I take my sticks

I don't travel much for business anymore either. I didn't take my sticks but found I could rent clubs fairly easily and played in tennis shoes. I did play whenever I could!!

I did it, but it was always during down time. Sometimes I brought my clubs, other times I used what the course had.
Got a chance to play in a whole lot of states because of it.

If you love playing new courses this is a must. I used to travel a lot more than I do now, but have had the opportunity to play some amazing courses (Pebble Beach, Bethpage Black). Just make sure you have a travel case that keeps those sticks safe.

I get to travel for work, pretty infrequently these days, but when I do I definitely try to get in some golf. Like JB said, depending on the trip I would either bring my sticks or just use whatever the course had. Typically the courses I had to use clubs at they were all new model clubs in new shape so it was actually kind of fun playing something different then what I had in my bag. It was an opportunity to test something new! If i wasn't bringing my own clubs, I would always throw a glove and a few sleeves in my suitcase though, they fit well in shoes if packing an extra pair...

If the schedule allows it, I'll take my clubs. Took my clubs when visiting our offices in Frankfurt and London. Itry to visit them on Thursday and/or Friday, stay overnight, play one or two rounds on Saturday, and fly back in the evening. It's just a nice way to be able to visit courses at places you normally wouldn't.

I'm currently lobbying for the company to let me visit our Chicago office in the summer, as I've never visited it since picking up golf a couple of years ago. Would love to get some round over there.

I take my clubs all the time and it's given me opportunities to play some pretty sweet courses all over the United States. Of course I fly Southwest so it costs me nothing to check my clubs. If I get a round in, great. If not, then nothing lost. I don't rent since I'm a leftie.

It has varied over the years. In some positions, I had control over my travel schedule and could make time for golf on either end of the trip, in those cases I always took the clubs. In some cases, I was bound by the company making the arrangements, and on those trips the schedule didn't usually allow for the time, so I would not play or take them.

My most recent trip to Florida, I got to book my own schedule and ended up having time for a round before I left and an unexpected one at the beginning of the trip.

I take my clubs all the time and it's given me opportunities to play some pretty sweet courses all over the United States. Of course I fly Southwest so it costs me nothing to check my clubs. If I get a round in, great. If not, then nothing lost. I don't rent since I'm a leftie.

I'm in the same boat being a lefty and I didn't even think of that being an issue at some courses. Good point!

Congrats on the new opportunity! I've traveled for my job before and worked golf into it by going out a day early, flying on a Saturday to the west coast to play Sunday for example. I turned it into a work social a few times by having my work contacts play with me if possible.

I meant to add, I didn't take my clubs with me when I did this. I'd rent when I got there. My travels usually had me in and out of a couple of airports over the course of my trip and the logistics of bringing my own clubs would be too much.

I do.

I have been able to play Wolf Creek, Chambers Bay, UT Country Club in Austin, and TPC Deere Run all through work travel.

The traveling I do for my current job usually doesn't allow for enough downtime to bring the clubs or I would. My prior job was what got me introduced to golf and we golfed on the trips because the client contacts liked to golf. We rented on those trips but being a lefty made it potluck on what I got as a rental. One trip I got a set that was a mix and match of clubs with different shafts, the next trip the clubs were brand new, plastic still on them.

I do.

I have been able to play Wolf Creek, Chambers Bay, UT Country Club in Austin, and TPC Deere Run all through work travel.
That's one of the huge benefits. In the past on business trips, I've gotten to play, Whistling Straits (annually) TPC Sawgrass, Pinehurst and Torrey Pines South and North.

That's one of the huge benefits. In the past on business trips, I've gotten to play, Whistling Straits (annually) TPC Sawgrass, Pinehurst and Torrey Pines South and North.

Torrey Pines is what sparked my interest in playing on my trip next week.

I try and bring my clubs and play whenever I travel, a lot of times I plan my business trips around THP events or golf gatherings and kill two birds with one stone!

Torrey Pines is what sparked my interest in playing on my trip next week.

There are worse places you could try this at!

The only time I golf during a business trip is when it's a planned client or prospect golf outing, if not for that I'm trying to cram in 16 hour days so I can get home as soon as possible.

Now that I am nearing retirement and we are downsizing, my business travel fundamentally is over. But during my professional heyday, my clubs were always with me, because. frankly, golf was an integral part of the trip. The golf course was a business venue. Additionally, the need to document my continuing education provided access to some rather nice resort courses. As a result, I have been able to play some courses that I, otherwise, would have never enjoyed. I should also note that during my heyday, traveling with clubs was a heck of a lot easier.

Now that I am nearing retirement and we are downsizing, my business travel fundamentally is over. But during my professional heyday, my clubs were always with me, because. frankly, golf was an integral part of the trip. The golf course was a business venue. Additionally, the need to document my continuing education provided access to some rather nice resort courses. As a result, I have been able to play some courses that I, otherwise, would have never enjoyed. I should also note that during my heyday, traveling with clubs was a heck of a lot easier.

Years ago I lived that way as well. It was the norm that I'd figure out a way to work in a great course into my trip and I would schedule around it sometimes. My attitude has changed in recent years as traveling with baggage is a complete and utter beat down.

When I traveled a lot, I used to bring my clubs all over the place. Sadly that was prior to THP as it would be much more enjoyable now.

My work travel is wholly contained within the state of NY; and I only work Tuesday through Friday (Monday through Thursday) during the summer. So I generally don't golf when I travel for work--unless I'm extending a weekend to play with THPers in whatever area I'm in.

Have you considered joining Clubcorp?

You can play each of their courses 2 times a month for just the cart fee. They also offer free loaner clubs. On top of that you get 2 free meals a month at their business clubs which are also nice places to entertain clients, co-workers, or friends.

Have you considered joining Clubcorp?

You can play each of their courses for cart fee two times a month. They also offer free loaner clubs. On top of that you get 2 free meals a month at their business clubs which are also nice places to entertain clients, co-workers, or friends.
Check where Clubcorp clubs are located first. I can join for $50/month and I don't because the majority of places I go do not have Clubcorp clubs. It's too bad.

Back