Golf Balls. Why are you playing the ball that you are playing

Scarnici

#TeamParadise
Reaction score
During the course of the year I can possibly put 8 or 9 different model golf balls into play. Although it has been fun for me to go through the process of getting different feels for different balls this year I am going to stick to using one model.
So how do you make your choice? Price, fitting, pure feel?

It's old hat but for me it's performance around the green. I miss a lot of them and need the to ball to have some feel and spin to save whatever score I make!

Since most urethane balls I have tested (in similar compression) have similar green side spin (for me), I go with the most violent impact and how much I can actually see a difference during a fitting.

Last edited:
Started playing the Bridgestone B330-RX after a fitting about 7 years ago and haven't found anything to outperform it, for me, yet.

I started to play the B330-RX after being B-Fit at a demo day. I like it, but I can't get it out of my head that maybe I should be playing the regular B330 (which I didn't hit in my fitting, but will be doing so this spring).

Because I:

A. Bought it on sale.
B. Found it in the woods/water when looking for one of my errant shots.
C. Had it given to be.

:banana:

While there is still a grain of truth to the above, having been immersed into THP I have learned far more about golf tech, including balls, that I would have imagined. With that in mind I have been buying balls with lower compression and good spin characteristics like the 330RX, Duo Spin and Duo U, and the Q Star and Z Star.

Spin rate, distance, and durability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XV/1x

XV/1x

I played NXT Tour for a few years while just getting into the game. Then I bought a couple sleeves of leftover Z Star X a few years back and loved playing with them. THat was my first introduction to Urethane cover balls. Kept looking for deals on them and now play mostly Z Star XV with a few Pro V1x thrown in. Just really loved the greenside checking and drop and stop on 100 yard shots.

My choice is pure feel and performance for my game. I play the balls I play because they are consistent in distance, spin and performance each time out.

I have settled on Supersofts for now based on price vs performance/feel for my game. The most expensive balls are out of my price range

Prov1 or Prov1x. I have a service valet that works for me that has a friend that works at local track. 2-3 times a season he brings me in a large box with 75-100 premium balls in it. Most of them are like brand new.

I play the Taylormade Project A because of the green side performance. I played last years Chrome Soft and it wasn't as good around the green as the Project A is but with all I am reading about the new Chrome soft I will buy a sleeve and see how I like it.

I tend to look for something that is low spinning off the tee but can still maintain good performance around the green.

for me it's the ball that performs the best. from off the tee to green side spin, I need a ball to do all of that. Right now it's the Chrome Soft & soon will be going against the Bridgestone B330-RX & Nike RZN Platinum. Once i settle on the ball that works best, it will be in play as my primary ball.

Fitting and on course testing. I have 2-3 brands I will play regularly and then will try new releases of other brands as a comparison.

Usually I choose what I deem to be the most important for my game and that is the distance off the tee and what kind of spin I can get around the greens.

I've settled into the Duo U, love the feel on full shots, it checks up predictably and quickly on the green. It's also surprisingly durable for a urethane cover. It took two hops on the path and hit a tree during my round yesterday with virtually no marks being left on the ball.

The consistency in spin on approach shots and green side chips/pitches, but above all the way it feels off the putter face.

I played Titleist balata cover balls when I was a young chap. Playing again last year I tested a bunch of golf balls. There are a surprising number of very good balls out there, but I couldn't find anything I liked better than the Pro V1x. Given my history and lack of anything better, I feel comfortable playing that ball. I like the sound and feel and know what to expect. Picking up a few dozen at early season promo time (buy 3, 1 free), the cost difference compared to comparable balls over a season is trivial.

Price usually is a consideration for me but ad my game has improved I have needed less quantity and granite towards quality. Bring in the B330 RX golf ball it fits my game perfectly and the price point is reasonable

Because it feels extremely soft and it is very affordable.

Feel and consistency.

Haven't played the new B330RX, but I know the previous iteration and the new Chrome Softs suit me sound wise, I like the sound off of everything and most importantly for me is the putter I love the way both balls sound coming off the putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I find a ball that WORKS the way I want, feels the way I want, performs the way I want...AND is priced the way I want! That's the sweet spot for me. Right now, the Callaway Chrome Soft is that ball!

I used Bridgestone's online fitting app and it put me with the B330RX. I like it off the tee, off my irons, and around the green. It doesn't break the bank. I am really looking forward to gaming the 2016 ball.

Back