Grip and swing speed

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I was fooling around in a launch monitor recently and noticed that when I make a strong grip with my driver and other woods, my swing speed is increased by 5 to 10mph. However, my misses become accentuated. Once I make a neutral to semi strong grip, swing speed drops but i become a little straighter.
Anyone has experienced something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the launch monitor to back it up, but it sure feels like the same thing for me. I know I can hit a hook or draw farther than a fade, but it does feel like the club is traveling significantly faster with a stronger grip.

Yes. But I believe the added sing speed is from more hand involvement in the swing. Relying on your arms and hands to develop speed. I think the same speed can be developed by being more efficient with the body during the swing

Yes. But I believe the added swing speed is from more hand involvement in the swing. Relying on your arms and hands to develop speed. I think the same speed can be developed by being more efficient with the body during the swing

This came up in discussion during the round I had yesterday where I was all over the map. I started the round playing with a stronger grip which just feels more comfortable to me but definitely requires good tempo and timing. My driver was terrible all day, low, snap hooks left. Irons were good and bad, some real solid shots plus some big pulls, all with excellent distance for the most part. Last couple holes I went with an extremely weak grip with the driver and hit my 2 best drives of the day. Anyone use a different grip depending on the club?

I am. :)

I set up my grip with club on my shoulder rather than at address, and,

My grip position mirroring club head position when rested on my right shoulder, so,

At address, my neutral grip can look like extreme strong grip at 10.5 driver, and slightly weaker down the set, to slightly strong at 56 sw. :)

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

Highly doubt you are getting a true 5 to 10 mph increase from just a grip change unless yours was awful but I would believe 2-3mph. I imagine the 5-10 is coming from the toe closing faster than the rest of the club.

Highly doubt you are getting a true 5 to 10 mph increase from just a grip change unless yours was awful but I would believe 2-3mph. I imagine the 5-10 is coming from the toe closing faster than the rest of the club.

Depends on what launch monitor he was using. Trackman uses the geometric center of the club to measure Club Speed so rate of toe closure wouldn't have anything to do with it. But something like GC2 calculates club speed using ball speed and a predetermined smash factor.

I would suspect the change he is seeing has more to do with the quality of contact or a change in the way his arms/wrist are moving during the swing.

Contact would be ball speed though. Curious to see if he has those numbers.

I will say this about my swing. When I take a weak grip and work on releasing the toe, I feel like I pickup SS. I've never measured it but it feels effortless. So there might be sons truth to it but have no hard facts, just feel.

Contact would be ball speed though. Curious to see if he has those numbers.

Correct. And software paired with GC2 makes up a swing speed by dividing measured ball speed by a predetermined smash factor. So you can trick the system/software to give you vastly different swing speeds just by quality of contact.

I can squeeze an extra 5-8 yards of carry when I go 10 finger with a driver but it's usually FORE LEFT!!

Correct. And software paired with GC2 makes up a swing speed by dividing measured ball speed by a predetermined smash factor. So you can trick the system/software to give you vastly different swing speeds just by quality of contact.
cool didn't know that was how gc2 got swing speed.

Not, sure i've ever tried this and messed around with it.

I was taught my current trip (neutral overlap) when I was 14 and I havent changed it since.

I have to think that changing grips between clubs would add another variable to the already difficult task of swinging a golf club.

Yes. But I believe the added sing speed is from more hand involvement in the swing. Relying on your arms and hands to develop speed. I think the same speed can be developed by being more efficient with the body during the swing

I agree with this. The more wrist cock, stronger grip, the more swing speed! Good luck!

Depends on what launch monitor he was using. Trackman uses the geometric center of the club to measure Club Speed so rate of toe closure wouldn't have anything to do with it. But something like GC2 calculates club speed using ball speed and a predetermined smash factor.

I would suspect the change he is seeing has more to do with the quality of contact or a change in the way his arms/wrist are moving during the swing.

Depends on the GC2 and whether it has the HMT. If it's just the GC2, then yes it measures off of a predetermined smash factor.

But the HMT module uses cameras and reflectors to record clubhead speed and is VERY accurate.

Well, first off, it's always a trade-off between distance and accuracy, isn't it?

Then, I guess, very much like the golf swing itself, there's no hard and fast rule on grip pressure - some perform better with strong grips while others do better with easier grips.

For me, I try to maintain a fixed grip pressure, not too firm or too soft. I tried death grips before, I usually end up with finger sprains after the round. If I need more distance, I overclub. My pride can take it. :)

I'm still having a honeymoon with my new driver for any consistent results.

Well, first off, it's always a trade-off between distance and accuracy, isn't it?

Then, I guess, very much like the golf swing itself, there's no hard and fast rule on grip pressure - some perform better with strong grips while others do better with easier grips.

For me, I try to maintain a fixed grip pressure, not too firm or too soft. I tried death grips before, I usually end up with finger sprains after the round. If I need more distance, I overclub. My pride can take it. :)

I'm still having a honeymoon with my new driver for any consistent results.

Just for clarification strong and weak grip have nothing to do with grip pressure.

7feed87d5b56013ad537d55a7c066209.jpg

Just for clarification strong and weak grip have nothing to do with grip pressure.

7feed87d5b56013ad537d55a7c066209.jpg

Sorry. My bad. My post had nothing to do with grip positions, such as strong, neutral and weak. It's grip pressure, such as death grip or holding a banana. An error on my terminologies.

Sorry. My bad. My post had nothing to do with grip positions, such as strong, neutral and weak. It's grip pressure, such as death grip or holding a banana. An error on my terminologies.

No problem. I was just trying to help educate. Didn't want you to choke the life out of you clubs trying to increase swing speed. In fact I think it has the opposite effect. A tight grip would reduce speed.

I driver swing plane train in my PVC ring. This has helped deliver the club to the ball more on plane resulting in straighter drives, giving me confidence to go all out.

Swing Harder!

I bet it is mental, and holding tight you feel you can swing harder. When im scrambling ill sometimes grip tight, step back, and swing for the fences. Sometimes ill knock the cover off it, sometimes a power hook or slice. Only do it when im hitting last and ones in the fairway.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Its funny I was just fooling with this yesterday at the range while working my hybrids. I feel like the weaker sided grip vs the stronger top grip makes for a feeling that I need to be a bit more careful (for lack of a better term) with my swing because it feels a bit less in control and so with that, I can see how one may slow the swing a tad.

Back