Think about cutting the cable cord

with fios triple play and premium channels my bill is over $200. We have Netflix as well. For directv my cable will be $41+ taxes,fees, etc. I'll drop phone since we don't use a home landline. I'm considering a swap to another ISP. I will get unlimited data, calls text for about $120 is after discounts on up to 3-4 devices
That's a really good deal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

As soon as my kids move out I'm getting rid of Directv. I wish we could just order the channels we need, which in my case would be the golf channel and a sports package. I could care less about local tv or any movie or other channels. Someday I'm hoping that we can just order each show that we want to watch individually.

Seeing the post this morning about Staz that JB made, got me thinking about cutting the cable cords again. So, I was looking for long range HD antennas for the house. I found this one LAVA OmniPro HDTV antenna that has good reviews and can be purchased from Walmart for $79. It says is Omni-directional and should get around 100 to 125 miles in any direction. That's RIGHT on the edge of a straight line from where I live and Wichita, which has all of the major networks. So, I was thinking about getting one of these, plus adding Hulu to what I already have of Netflix, Amazon, MLB Premium and Xbox Live (ESPN).

So, I'm figuring around $40 a month for all of that, not counting my cost for high speed internet from Cox Communications. Which I would have with DirecTV at the same cost per month either way. That should save me around $100 a month or more.

Today's digital Antenna's work great. That combined with the Internet on demand options, you can get a lot of channels or entertainment.

So I'm moving next month and seriously considering just not turning on cable in the new location. We're going to have business internet that my fiance's job pays for (since she telecommutes) so will be able to get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc for only the subscription costs, and I can grab HBO Now if I want too (especially once GoT comes back).

What I'm wondering is the whole sports thing (which I know is always the problem). Can you get sports on the HD antennaes? I don't need an all access type sports package, but I'd like to at least have Golf Channel and the major networks.

I discontinued my Cable TV subscription about 8 years ago. Don't miss it a bit. My wife didn't even know we were missing cable until about a month after I discontinued it. I installed an antenna which gives me 42 HD channels for free plus I hooked up a Roku2 device

So I'm moving next month and seriously considering just not turning on cable in the new location. We're going to have business internet that my fiance's job pays for (since she telecommutes) so will be able to get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc for only the subscription costs, and I can grab HBO Now if I want too (especially once GoT comes back).

What I'm wondering is the whole sports thing (which I know is always the problem). Can you get sports on the HD antennaes? I don't need an all access type sports package, but I'd like to at least have Golf Channel and the major networks.
No, most sports channels can't be had OTA, just anything that comes on NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox.

Check out Playstation Vue, you can get GC and the ESPNs plus other networks for $35, can add the regional Fox sports for 5 more.

I cut the cable cord this week, trying out Playstation Vue now, so far so good. Saving 70 a month vs cable.

I cut the cable cord this week, trying out Playstation Vue now, so far so good. Saving 70 a month vs cable.
What about Bolts games when the time comes?

I was about to drop the $70/month I'm paying Verizon in lieu of Amazon Prime (which I have anyway) and adding Netflix. Basically a savings of $62/mo. Wife and kids are fully onboard. The real inconvenience for me is sports. I can live with football, it's once a week and a great excuse to hit the bar....but what about golf? At first I was thinking I could just watch online, but golf channel requires your verizon login, which I presume means won't work once I drop cable. I am looking at potentially getting an antenna for OTA channels which means I should be able to get some weekend rounds.Anyone done this? How did affect your golf watching? Any tips/tricks?

Dropping cable may work for you however if you are a regular user of netflex you are familier with the setup and how your ability to watch is dependent on the quality of your internet and wi-fi ....i had NHL gamecentre live which i watched on a Roku and for the most part i get the games without incident but it did have it's moments ..... would i drop Directv for internet only TV .... in a word .. no yeah it's a headache at times and expensive but it's better than the alternitive ..Anyone done this? How did affect your golf watching? Any tips/tricks?[/QUOTE]Anyone done this? How did affect your golf watching? Any tips/tricks?[/QUOTE]

as for golf viewing doesnt golf channel stream all their events and i would guess the networks would do the same but as for TNT or Fox and the major's only the shadow know what they do ... but again it depends on your internet / wifi ..... and overall i have to give you some credit for having the gonads to branch away from the money pit called contract tv service , i wish i could stop the insanity & get internet options because it seems that the viewing options of internet viewing is continuing to improve with the sky the limit ....... i wish i could teach this old stubborn mutt some new tricks but habits at times die hard

No, most sports channels can't be had OTA, just anything that comes on NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox.

Check out Playstation Vue, you can get GC and the ESPNs plus other networks for $35, can add the regional Fox sports for 5 more.
I'm assuming you need to buy a PlayStation in order to use this? Lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you need to buy a PlayStation in order to use this? Lol

Nope, Roku, Amazon Fire and others

Nope, Roku, Amazon Fire and others
Oh sweet. Definitely will need to look into it then

Opinions on PlayStation Vue?
I like that I can watch sports.
I like that it is a TON cheaper than my current Cable price, I like it has a ton more options

Opinions on PlayStation Vue?
I like that I can watch sports.
I like that it is a TON cheaper than my current Cable price, I like it has a ton more options
Same here, I hadn't checked out the channel lineup in a while, this is a hard ponder now

Same here, I hadn't checked out the channel lineup in a while, this is a hard ponder now

I figure try the 7 day free trial, then decide from there....

Cutting TV is no problem, but want the ability to watch sports

Golf channel also included on the Vue lineup...

That's what is making it doable for me. Plus, I love boomerang.

Sling TV is the other option we are looking at. They have all the channels we need for us and the girls & much cheaper than Direct TV

I am liking what I am hearing about Vue. My biggest hangup about getting rid of cable is not having the Golf Channel and the other sports packages.

I am liking what I am hearing about Vue. My biggest hangup about getting rid of cable is not having the Golf Channel and the other sports packages.

From what I am seeing, the ESPN's and local fox sports, as well as the golf channel is included in the top package for $45/month...

While it still is $45/month, this is far cheaper than my bill now.
And my wife can watch Netflix if she wants movies...

From what I am seeing, the ESPN's and local fox sports, as well as the golf channel is included in the top package for $45/month...

While it still is $45/month, this is far cheaper than my bill now.
And my wife can watch Netflix if she wants movies...

Still less than what we pay as well and am hoping with Vue you won't have to deal with all the additional fees that get tacked onto the advertised cable price.

I haven't cut the cord yet. Options aren't good enough online IMO. But they seem to be improving constantly.

So I can see myself cutting the cord in the future.

Back