PGG's Quest to Play All 50 States

Have you done Missouri yet? If not I know a guy :)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hey Philly Golf Guy - your in box has exceeded its limit. Delete some stuff.
This again.

I'll delete the prior post so as to not clutter this thread (and apologies for cluttering it at all, this is the one place I know I can find you).

This again.

I'll delete the prior post so as to not clutter this thread (and apologies for cluttering it at all, this is the one place I know I can find you).

Ok done

So I thought it'd be a good idea to actually figure out a loosely-based game plan as to how to go about knocking off the other states off my list. Below is what I came up with. It's pretty flexible though, as you just never know how travel plans unfold and what you'll be able to do. For instance, today I learned I will be in Louisiana in the next couple weeks for work. If things fall in the right place, I'll be able to get up to Mississippi and knock that off. And driving back from TN, I realized there is a small sliver of WV only 3 hours from where I live. A google map search revealed a decent course a little over 3 hours away, so that state is possibly a day trip instead of trying to parlay it with Indiana.

At any rate, here are the trips I have laid out to get to the rest of the states.

In no particular order:

1. Oregon
2. Utah-New Mexico
3. Mississippi-Arkansas-Oklahoma
4. Kansas-Missouri-Nebraska-Iowa
5. Montana-North Dakota-South Dakota
6. Minnesota-Wisconsin
7. Indiana
8. Maine-Rhode Island
9. West Virginia
10. Alaska

Next year, I see taking down at least Maine, Rhode Island, Indiana and West Virginia. I have a family trip to Michigan next year where we will fly into Chicago, so will play in Indiana at some point during that trip. Maine and Rhode Island will be a road trip to hang out with the THPers in that area. West Virginia will be a day or weekend trip. Easy enough.

After that, I see at least one more of the above trips happening next year. I'm still figuring it out. But the trip to Oregon will be Bandon and will happen sooner rather than later as well.

The last trip will be Alaska with my family. Maybe I'll wrestle a bear after sinking my birdie putt on the 18th!

It all should be a good time.

Planning is good!

Not sure which WV course you were looking at, but I liked Locust Hill. I was going to play with JohnSinVA (I think?), but he wasn't able to join me.

Planning is good!

Not sure which WV course you were looking at, but I liked Locust Hill. I was going to play with JohnSinVA (I think?), but he wasn't able to join me.

That course actually looks closer than the one I was planning on. Thanks!

That course actually looks closer than the one I was planning on. Thanks!

No problem! I have a preliminary plan for most of my states too, but I don't think I'll be able to get anything booked in time for the Southwest sale that ends tonight.

Locust hill or The Woods are probably going to be the best options, at least public, in the eastern panhandle of the state.

Locust hill or The Woods are probably going to be the best options, at least public, in the eastern panhandle of the state.

Yeah the Woods was the one I was looking at initially, so it will be either one of those. I have to take a look at them a little more closely to make a decision,

Yeah the Woods was the one I was looking at initially, so it will be either one of those. I have to take a look at them a little more closely to make a decision,

I've got hole by hole thoughts and pictures on my blog when you get around to it

Let me know when you're hitting RI and Maine, I'll be your wingman.

So I thought it'd be a good idea to actually figure out a loosely-based game plan as to how to go about knocking off the other states off my list. Below is what I came up with. It's pretty flexible though, as you just never know how travel plans unfold and what you'll be able to do. For instance, today I learned I will be in Louisiana in the next couple weeks for work. If things fall in the right place, I'll be able to get up to Mississippi and knock that off. And driving back from TN, I realized there is a small sliver of WV only 3 hours from where I live. A google map search revealed a decent course a little over 3 hours away, so that state is possibly a day trip instead of trying to parlay it with Indiana.

At any rate, here are the trips I have laid out to get to the rest of the states.

In no particular order:

1. Oregon
2. Utah-New Mexico
3. Mississippi-Arkansas-Oklahoma
4. Kansas-Missouri-Nebraska-Iowa
5. Montana-North Dakota-South Dakota
6. Minnesota-Wisconsin
7. Indiana
8. Maine-Rhode Island
9. West Virginia
10. Alaska

Next year, I see taking down at least Maine, Rhode Island, Indiana and West Virginia. I have a family trip to Michigan next year where we will fly into Chicago, so will play in Indiana at some point during that trip. Maine and Rhode Island will be a road trip to hang out with the THPers in that area. West Virginia will be a day or weekend trip. Easy enough.

After that, I see at least one more of the above trips happening next year. I'm still figuring it out. But the trip to Oregon will be Bandon and will happen sooner rather than later as well.

The last trip will be Alaska with my family. Maybe I'll wrestle a bear after sinking my birdie putt on the 18th!

It all should be a good time.

On the chicago trip u can probably knock out Indiana as well

When you make it to Kansas/Missouri let me know we can knock out KS and MO in one day honestly.

Let me know when you're hitting RI and Maine, I'll be your wingman.

Definitely. That will be a blast.

When you make it to Kansas/Missouri let me know we can knock out KS and MO in one day honestly.

Awesome. I was hoping it was possible to take down two states in one day so glad to hear. And it'd be great to hang out again buddy.

Yep we can play on the Kansas and Missouri side two nice courses and only have a 20-30 minute drive between the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was surreal how nice a course it was in the middle of no where. As with any good nine hole course, there were so many different ways to play each hole.

Very nice write-up.
Sweetens Cove really is a gem; the guys over at GCA (Ran's site) look upon it very favorably. Need to get up there next season.

So even though I was finished with the travel this year, an opportunity came up where I was able to make it to Mississippi with enough time for a round. This actually helps me on future trips, as I now have closed out the southeast and can get to Arkansas when I tackle the OK/MO/KS area.

I played the Oaks GC, mainly because it was the highest ranked and closest course to New Orleans. It had some very visually nice holes but also lots of redundant ones. The par 3's stood out the most. But the conditions were terrific, service was great and I played well so it was a nice trip.

Here's one of the better holes, a 150 yard par 3. It's also where I hit one of the better shots of the day, a 7i to 8 feet. Considering the intimidation factor, I was happy with the shot!

d685d77fbd0ee954a8c3fbaf1857f239.jpg

Here's a look at the clubhouse. It was nice, with lots of room outside to hang out.

d0087e28a15e9805d161d3153d1fad6e.jpg

I have 19 to go. I'm coming up with my game plan for next year, but who knows how it'll shake out. Hopefully it means more rounds with you all!

Last week I found myself fairly close to West Virginia and anticipated being able to get in a round if a number of things fell in the right place. It ended up working out and I drove down to the Lakeview resort in Morgantown. Lakeview is aptly named because there are terrific views of fairly large Cheat Lake. The course has a bit of history to it and touts that Snead, Nicklaus and Palmer all played the course, with Snead and Nicklaus even setting course records.

The course itself is set on what you would expect to encounter in West Virginia; very hilly terrain. This created swings in yardages and adjustments were necessary, but also provided some dramatic scenery, especially on the downhill holes where the lake and surrounding mountains were in the backdrop. The majority of the holes were tree lined and the majority of the bunkering was around the greens. The greens were tough to read and moved severely in places. What would look like an obvious slope to the left would actually go in the opposite direction, depending on the positioning of the nearby mountains.

On the day I played, it had rained the entire day and night before, creating soggy conditions. At almost 6,800 yards and a 138 slope, getting no roll and having the greens complicate my putting efforts made it quite the challenge, but I was happy with my 94 nevertheless. The course was just beginning to start back up again after winter, so $40 for the green fee was nice, especially since conditions were actually very good. I played the Lakeview course (there is another 18, Mountainvew I believe), which is the more well known and regarded of the two.

Generally, I enjoyed the course and he challenge it presented. It did not provide much to any relief if you hit too far off center and the complexity of the greens was impressive, but the design made terrific use of the terrain and each hole presented its own set of unique lines of strategy, even if each were limited in how to advance to the green. It could probably use another set of tees between the Blues and Whites, as the Blues are probably too much for most golfers to enjoy the round while the Whites are too short and with the slope at 122, has a good number of golfers playing the Blues when something between the two would provide the balance between challenge and fun most resort guests look for in a round.

I now have 18 states left, with the majority of them only reachable by plane. At least one in the Midwest will be going down later this year while I plan on closing out the Northeast during the Summer. A final trip this fall may also take care of a few more, but nothing is planned as of yet. I envision a few trips close to the borders of a number of states so I can knock off a bunch in one trip, so we'll see how that comes along.

Hope to see some of you on this journey as well!

unnamed-31.jpg

A view of Cheat Lake from the clubhouse

unnamed-28.jpg

The tee shot at the Fifth, with Cheat Lake in the background

unnamed-29.jpg

The fairway of the Seventh, which features a few drops and terraces to the green

unnamed-30.jpg

Approach shot at the 18th, the 602 par 5, all uphill. Driver-3W-3W still left me 50 yards short of the green.

Last edited:
Good looking course! Offer still stands to knock RI off your list at my course.

I just might take you up on that this Summer!

I hope you do, there are a couple other THP'ers around to make up the group if needed. PM me when you know dates.

Last week I found myself fairly close to West Virginia and anticipated being able to get in a round if a number of things fell in the right place. It ended up working out and I drove down to the Lakeview resort in Morgantown. Lakeview is aptly named because there are terrific views of fairly large Cheat Lake. The course has a bit of history to it and touts that Snead, Nicklaus and Palmer all played the course, with Snead and Nicklaus even setting course records.

The course itself is set on what you would expect to encounter in West Virginia; very hilly terrain. This created swings in yardages and adjustments were necessary, but also provided some dramatic scenery, especially on the downhill holes where the lake and surrounding mountains were in the backdrop. The majority of the holes were tree lined and the majority of the bunkering was around the greens. The greens were tough to read and moved severely in places. What would look like an obvious slope to the left would actually go in the opposite direction, depending on the positioning of the nearby mountains.

On the day I played, it had rained the entire day and night before, creating soggy conditions. At almost 6,800 yards and a 138 slope, getting no roll and having the greens complicate my putting efforts made it quite the challenge, but I was happy with my 94 nevertheless. The course was just beginning to start back up again after winter, so $40 for the green fee was nice, especially since conditions were actually very good. I played the Lakeview course (there is another 18, Mountainvew I believe), which is the more well known and regarded of the two.

Generally, I enjoyed the course and he challenge it presented. It did not provide much to any relief if you hit too far off center and the complexity of the greens was impressive, but the design made terrific use of the terrain and each hole presented its own set of unique lines of strategy, even if each were limited in how to advance to the green. It could probably use another set of tees between the Blues and Whites, as the Blues are probably too much for most golfers to enjoy the round while the Whites are too short and with the slope at 122, has a good number of golfers playing the Blues when something between the two would provide the balance between challenge and fun most resort guests look for in a round.

I now have 18 states left, with the majority of them only reachable by plane. At least one in the Midwest will be going down later this year while I plan on closing out the Northeast during the Summer. A final trip this fall may also take care of a few more, but nothing is planned as of yet. I envision a few trips close to the borders of a number of states so I can knock off a bunch in one trip, so we'll see how that comes along.

Hope to see some of you on this journey as well!

unnamed-31.jpg

A view of Cheat Lake from the clubhouse

unnamed-28.jpg

The tee shot at the Fifth, with Cheat Lake in the background

I'm just going to putt it down the hill on #5. That doesn't look very narrow at all...yikes.

Back