Thinking too much has given me a small dilemma.

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
Currently I have a driver I hit pretty inconsistently, and short. I've been playing it for about a year, and sometimes hit it OK. It is a 460cc head, and, like the other 2 460cc heads I've tried, I just don't feel comfortable over it. Intellectually, I know the benefits from the head size (distance/forgiveness/etc.), but I just don't get a good feeling when I'm going to swing it.
Now, I've been reading with interest about the BBMini, but have never swung one. I do have an ancient GBB Hawkeye that is roughly the same size, and I hit pretty decently.
My question is would the Hawkeye give me an approximation of what it would be like to hit the Mini? They are only 3cc different in head size, and the shaft length is the same.
Thanks for any and all input.

You are going to sacrifice large amounts of forgiveness from the larger head of the modern driver, in parts because of size and in parts because of development. But you have to feel comfortable and play what you would like.

Do you struggle with your 3 wood?

The BBmini is going to have a bit more forgiveness than the old hawkeye

Currently I have a driver I hit pretty inconsistently, and short. I've been playing it for about a year, and sometimes hit it OK. It is a 460cc head, and, like the other 2 460cc heads I've tried, I just don't feel comfortable over it. Intellectually, I know the benefits from the head size (distance/forgiveness/etc.), but I just don't get a good feeling when I'm going to swing it.
Now, I've been reading with interest about the BBMini, but have never swung one. I do have an ancient GBB Hawkeye that is roughly the same size, and I hit pretty decently.
My question is would the Hawkeye give me an approximation of what it would be like to hit the Mini? They are only 3cc different in head size, and the shaft length is the same.
Thanks for any and all input.

Does it need to be that small to function, or do you think maybe just stepping away from 460 would help?

Why not take a flyer on something like the 440 Optiforce? Some forgiveness in there in what I always thought was an awesome release.

You are going to sacrifice large amounts of forgiveness from the larger head of the modern driver, in parts because of size and in parts because of development. But you have to feel comfortable and play what you would like.

Do you struggle with your 3 wood?
Actually, I hit the 3 wood pretty well. which made the Mini intriguing. As of now, the "3 off the tee" is going to be my approach.

Actually, I hit the 3 wood pretty well. which made the Mini intriguing. As of now, the "3 off the tee" is going to be my approach.

I would say its twofold.
More loft and shorter is your friend (as an individual).
So either go with the 3 wood or find something with more loft, cut down.

If you just prefer smaller, you are not sacrificing much distance at all as higher handicap playing the 3 wood off the tee compared to other options. In fact I would say you are probably gaining distance compared to what you were looking to do.

Does it need to be that small to function, or do you think maybe just stepping away from 460 would help?

Why not take a flyer on something like the 440 Optiforce? Some forgiveness in there in what I always thought was an awesome release.
Dan, I am actively looking at smaller heads, but I'm not sure if I will be able to find the combination of the attributes that appear great on paper for me that a mini might provide in a 400-440 cc head.

I would say its twofold.
More loft and shorter is your friend (as an individual).
So either go with the 3 wood or find something with more loft, cut down.

If you just prefer smaller, you are not sacrificing much distance at all as higher handicap playing the 3 wood off the tee compared to other options. In fact I would say you are probably gaining distance compared to what you were looking to do.
This is exactly why I post to THP, honest, objective information.

I think it'll give you an idea of whether or not you'll be comfortable with that head size for a driver but I believe the stock BB Mini shaft is 44 inches and your GBB Hawkeye will be 43 inches. In terms of distance and forgiveness I'm not sure that the GBB will compare very favorably. Fairway woods have always been the bane of my existence and they are so much easier to hit now than I can ever recall. My best guess is you'll hit your G15 3 wood farther and straighter than the GBB.

Dan, I am actively looking at smaller heads, but I'm not sure if I will be able to find the combination of the attributes that appear great on paper for me that a mini might provide in a 400-440 cc head.

We're all different, and certainly with the right swing there can seem to be more control over the 3w than the driver, but I do think it requires the right swing.

Recently I've seen some golfers struggle to transition from older tech into the newer tech because of their inability to rotate the head properly through the swing (based on their own built in swing flaws). It's an interesting balance of forgiveness, technology, swing weight, and profile that we really need to consider when testing equipment for our own games.

If you think mini works, go for it. Or even some of the older 'deeps' that'll come at a better price. If that's what it takes to hit the fairway, all the power to you. Same for the guys still rocking 2 irons.

I think it'll give you an idea of whether or not you'll be comfortable with that head size for a driver but I believe the stock BB Mini shaft is 44 inches and your GBB Hawkeye will be 43 inches. In terms of distance and forgiveness I'm not sure that the GBB will compare very favorably. Fairway woods have always been the bane of my existence and they are so much easier to hit now than I can ever recall. My best guess is you'll hit your G15 3 wood farther and straighter than the GBB.
Galen, I was thinking not of a direct comparison between the clubs, just more of a "this is kind of how it would feel to swing the Mini", using the GBB as a proxy.

If you think mini works, go for it. Or even some of the older 'deeps' that'll come at a better price. If that's what it takes to hit the fairway, all the power to you. Same for the guys still rocking 2 irons.

Those X Hot deeps are an excellent recommendation. In my opinion the X Hot/XR series has outperformed the adjustable fairway woods though I have not hit the Mini yet.

We're all different, and certainly with the right swing there can seem to be more control over the 3w than the driver, but I do think it requires the right swing.

Recently I've seen some golfers struggle to transition from older tech into the newer tech because of their inability to rotate the head properly through the swing (based on their own built in swing flaws). It's an interesting balance of forgiveness, technology, swing weight, and profile that we really need to consider when testing equipment for our own games.

I've had a Callaway RAZR fit previous to the Cleveland I am currently using, so I don't think ​I would have an issue with the new tech v. my old GBB, it's more of a perception thing, I suppose.

I'm a big fan of the Mini 1.5. It's only 15 yards shorter than my driver and certainly much straighter.

I've had a Callaway RAZR fit previous to the Cleveland I am currently using, so I don't think ​I would have an issue with the new tech v. my old GBB, it's more of a perception thing, I suppose.

My reference was to clubs older than the Fit, for what it's worth.... and I was talking about going forward, not backward.

I'm not sure how the old school hawkeye would perform, however I am a firm believer in you giving up an awful lot to game it. 2 Deep for the win!

So I had the same issue and I went to the TM SLDR S Mini and it was a great move. The head is in the 260cc range, so smaller than than a full size driver but bigger than the BB Mini or a 3w. I'd put it in my bag and take a wedge out.

Bought a TM 16* Aero-mini about 2 months ago to use as a three wood for teeing & off the deck. Immediately changed grips, what a nice substitute dual purpose club. I really like mine.

If you havent hit a mini, go try one & see if ya like it. They are really easy to smash too. However I dont think I would trade my driver for a full time mini. But thats just me.

No, I don't think it will. IIRC the Hawkeye was released in the late 1990s. They might be the same size but the head's materials, shafts and other technologies are likely to be extremely different.

Those X Hot deeps are an excellent recommendation. In my opinion the X Hot/XR series has outperformed the adjustable fairway woods though I have not hit the Mini yet.
Another entrant into the race!

I'm a big fan of the Mini 1.5. It's only 15 yards shorter than my driver and certainly much straighter.
You had some glowing praise for it in the Mini thread.

My reference was to clubs older than the Fit, for what it's worth.... and I was talking about going forward, not backward.

I'm not sure how the old school hawkeye would perform, however I am a firm believer in you giving up an awful lot to game it. 2 Deep for the win!
I'm adding that to the list of competitors.

So I had the same issue and I went to the TM SLDR S Mini and it was a great move. The head is in the 260cc range, so smaller than than a full size driver but bigger than the BB Mini or a 3w. I'd put it in my bag and take a wedge out.
adding that to the list.

Bought a TM 16* Aero-mini about 2 months ago to use as a three wood for teeing & off the deck. Immediately changed grips, what a nice substitute dual purpose club. I really like mine.

If you havent hit a mini, go try one & see if ya like it. They are really easy to smash too. However I dont think I would trade my driver for a full time mini. But thats just me.
Easy to smash is a good term.

No, I don't think it will. IIRC the Hawkeye was released in the late 1990s. They might be the same size but the head's materials, shafts and other technologies are likely to be extremely different.
Thanks for you input, Tequila.

adding that to the list.

Watch TMPO they go for $80.00 at Excellent condition and you also can put in a product notification request so they will email you when they have one.

Back