What Should I have done here?

OITW

Reaction score
Was having the round of my life and tugged my approach on this par 3 and this is where I ended up:

2a61211cb00021264915ee17acf73c9d.jpg

Finished with an 8 (3 putt). Normally with plugged lies I close the face hit down and pop it out which usually works just fine.

What or how should i have played it instead? I get bad breaks but this was a real round killer for me?

See below for the video:

https://vimeo.com/160544313

Thanks for all you do FK.

Yikes, that's ugly. Take the unplayable, drop it, get up and down for bogey.

I had a similar lie last year. The smart play is to take unplayable, drop in the bunker, and take your bogey/double, and walk away.
Tough break on the approach.

Unplayable, drop in the bunker with a playable stance/lie, take the medicine, reduce the damages.

The smart play is to take unplayable but if I had that lie I'm probably trying to hit that left handed.

Oh, not a good time for that lie to happen! I know that I'd think about trying to play it too, but from this side of the monitor, that's an easy unplayable. I've hit bunker shots lefthanded before and I wouldn't try that.

If you watch the video I mentioned taking a penalty after he took a hack at it. Sorry bud I should have been a better caddy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you watch the video I mentioned taking a penalty after he took a hack at it. Sorry bud I should have been a better caddy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're fired! :alien:

To that point I didn't know the procedure for taking a penalty in the bunker ablnd where to drop it though, but I'm assuming you would mark with tees a club length section which to drop then drop the ball in between he tees and play from there?

To that point I didn't know the procedure for taking a penalty in the bunker ablnd where to drop it though, but I'm assuming you would mark with tees a club length section which to drop then drop the ball in between he tees and play from there?

I think if you had taken a drop it would have rolled down into the center of the bunker based on the slope.

What Should I have done here?

I think if you had taken a drop it would have rolled down into the center of the bunker based on the slope.

But then if it rolls outside of the tees three times I place it back inside the tees?

But then if it rolls outside of the tees three times I place it back inside the tees?

If that is the rule then even so you would have had a better shot out.

I would have played a squared SW and popped it out of the trap. I'm thinking how to make no worse than bogie

Unplayable lie is the way to go in that situation. Take your 2 club lengths and attempt to minimize the damage

Rule 28 to the rescue!

With an unplayable lie, you have three options:

a) stroke and distance
b) drop on a line between the ball and hole, not nearer to the hole
c) drop within two club lengths, not nearer to the hole

If you are in a bunker and choose b) or c), you must drop in the bunker.

Somebody told me last year that it was a good rule of thumb to take one club length for a free drop (cart path) and two for a penalty drop (unplayable, hazard).

I would have played a squared SW and popped it out of the trap. I'm thinking how to make no worse than bogie

Thanks Freddie, didn't think to go lateral there.

Was having the round of my life and tugged my approach on this par 3 and this is where I ended up:

2a61211cb00021264915ee17acf73c9d.jpg

Finished with an 8 (3 putt). Normally with plugged lies I close the face hit down and pop it out which usually works just fine.

What or how should i have played it instead? I get bad breaks but this was a real round killer for me?

See below for the video:

https://vimeo.com/160544313

Thanks for all you do FK.

Had almost the exact same lie yesterday, hit it backhanded so it would roll back into the bunker. Was lucky to put the next shot to 2 feet and made the putt to save a bogey.

I almost broke my wrist hitting a shot like that once. I opened the face up really far and popped it right onto the green but my iron caught all of the lip. Sprained my wrist and was out of play for almost 3 months. Next time it will be an unplayable shot!

Take the unplayable lie and the drop. Not worth it.

Flip the club upside down and go left handed or go at it with the toe of your putter.

I probably wouldn't have thoughout about taking an unplayable either in that situation, although that's the smartest route. I would have stood inside the bunker and aimed away from the hole, only trying to knock the ball back down to the middle of the bunker or maybe out onto the rough beside the bunker. Basically, whatever stance would allow me to get a club closest to the back of the ball without bringing the lip of the bunker into play would have been how I would have played the shot.

1) You may drop on a line behind where the ball lay, keeping that point inline with the hole. You may go as far back as you want, as long as you stay within the bunker.
2) You may drop within 2 club-lengths (any club) of where the ball lay, no closer to the hole, remaining within the bunker. The ball may then roll up to two club lengths away from where the ball struck the course when dropped. That means your ball could end up almost 4 club lengths away and still be a legal drop.

The best play is generally to take option #1, and drop it about halfway up the slope, allowing it to roll back into the flat part of the bunker. Option #2 may be better though if you've already tracked up that area with footprints.

Pocket the ball and swing when no one is looking... make sure to swing hard so that there is an explosion of powder and it is hard to see, then, covertly do your best Kobe impression and flick that puppy up towards the hole.

EDIT I'm with Freddie if the rough isn't ungodly try going out laterally... although sometimes mid bunker is the easier play

Back