But I was hitting it good last weekend...

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
last weekend, I was not driving the ball good, but my Irons and wedges were on... I scored pretty good. Then this weekend, it's like I've never swung a golf club :banghead:... how many of you have a good weekend, think that finally, my game is dialed in... then just like that, you can't strike the ball to save your life?!

I do, but it's not so much from round to round, but from hole to hole!

I was like that today I posted a 99 :angry: I had two pars and the rest were all bogeys or worse with 2 8's posted. I was bombing my driver last weekend and today I hit two that I topped really bad and hardley went anywhere.

I think you are far from alone in this. There are so many parts and pieces and swing elements that all have to work together in order to hit the ball that it is just very difficult to keep them all together all the time. In addition, for many of us this is not our profession so there is just so much time we can allocate to practice and play.

In fact I am so convinced that this is something that we will all face throughout our golfing lives that I have determined that one additional item you need to have in your bag is some sort of a process for getting back on track once you have lost your swing. In my case since coming back to the game I have kept a book on all of the variations of swing that I have gone through, all of the changes that I have made and their impact on the result and all of the pitfalls that seem to be particular to me in an effort to develop a process for getting it back as quickly as possible once I have lost it. I think that while we do tend to concentrate on areas that are problematic for us, regardless of how hard we try often when things go wrong it is because some swing element that has plagued us in the past has gone off on us again. I know that is true in my case and often when I uncover something that has gone awry on me I end up saying something like “darn it I can’t believe I am screwing that up again”.

Although it might sound counter intuitive I take some comfort from the fact that there is just about nothing that I have not done wrong at some point or another so I have some feeling for and a record of just about every lousy swing element you can think of and my record is particular to me. In other words I think the most valuable tool you can have in this instance is some idea for what a swing flaw feels like to you, not to Phil or Tiger or anybody else but you. In addition when you are going right, how those swing elements feel to you are equally important in my view.

Andy our esteemed THP Pro suggests that it best thing to do is go back to the beginning and make sure that you cover every base. I am sure what he means is that you start from your grip and work your way through the entire process of hitting the ball. I think this is also very good advice.

i had the shanks at the range for two sessions in a row out of nowhere. it was like a different body was swinging my clubs.

i am currently working through a swing change and the volatility in my score from hole to hole is much greater than normal.
i just have to expect that until i get my swing change down pat.

Right there with you, derelict. All season I have been bouncing wildly from 83-85 when playing "well" (though still not as good as I'm capable of) to 93-97 other weekends. Here's the craziest part - it's different clubs each time. Two weeks ago I was hitting beautiful approach irons, but couldn't hit the driver to save my life. Thursday and yesterday I was bombing the driver (for me that means 240-260 down the middle) and then hitting ridiculous iron shots I've never seen before like two snap hook 8 irons out of bounds from center cut fairway and 135 yards out! :banghead: I've never snap hooked a low iron in my life. I wasn't even aware it was possible (j/k) until yesterday.

So not only do I show up to the course unsure of whether I'll have my game today or not, I don't know which clubs will work and which won't. It's starting to make me a little crazy:bulgy-eyes:

Shot an 83 last weekend and felt great about it!
Followed that up with a 96 this past Saturday and felt pretty crappy about it.
Such is golf....

This spring I shot a 92 and 96 on a weekend, then three weeks later followed it up with a 119. 119 - 92 = 27! :(

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

For the longest time the woods vs irons thing really had me going crazy. If I was having a good day with the woods my irons stank. If I could hit my irons I was literally dangerous off the tee with the driver. The only thing that finally worked for me regarding those two categories of clubs was to finally work one off the other.

Once again Andy the THP Pro was very helpful. He suggested that I try to feel and produce a slightly flatter swing plane with my woods than my irons. Incorporating that change with the other things that are normally different between the two club types did the trick and I no longer struggle that much with those two groupings as I no longer think about them in terms of all the things I think are different. I think more about all the things that I am trying to keep the same and just add the few variables like ball position at address, slightly flatter swing plane, etc.

This happens to me all the time. But usually I get my swing back soon. I haven't golfed or swung a club in over a week and yesterday went to the range, and it was like I never left the game :) It comes and goes but I've discovered that the longer your at this game, the shorter the periods are in forgetting your wing and your down slumps :) Its just like riding a bike, its there, but it might take a few times to get it fully back!

But I was hitting it good two and a half years ago...

... it has been a bumpy ride ever since.

ive been struggling off the tee all season and my short game has been right on
i told myself if i could get a handle on my tee shots id be in the mid 70s
then one day out of nowhere i play a round with my brother and hit every fw but one that day
but that same day my wedges and putter went south... so much for that theory

and one day im puring everything... the very next its hosel city

This just happened to me recently, its uncanny, not to mention weird. 2 rounds ago, I was striping the ball, hitting almost every shot pure, geez was I happy!My swing just felt so comfortable, big shoulder turn and I was loading up on the back swing and releasing with a bunch of controlled torque.

Next round, a chunk started creeping in and I just could not hit my lob wedge especially, crazy! I spent most of the round with a cloud of '?????' floating above my head.

Good news is, one round later, its all good again :) Might be playing this Friday, so I hope it stays this way!

Back