Starz Unveils Streaming App

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Joining Showtime at $11 and HBO at $15, STARZ now joins in at $9. For those that cut the cord, this is another example of more options.

Joining Showtime at $11 and HBO at $15, STARZ now joins in at $9. For those that cut the cord, this is another example of more options.

So much less expensive than paying for it through cable service. With all the streaming options available its time to look at cutting the cord!

• Admin
So much less expensive than paying for it through cable service. With all the streaming options available its time to look at cutting the cord!

Yeah its getting close. The issue for us is still convenience since the savings is not there right now. But its getting closer.

Do you know if they will have Chromecast support?

Yeah its getting close. The issue for us is still convenience since the savings is not there right now. But its getting closer.

Definitely. So many streaming options available nowadays. I agree that convenience is still a big feature with cable, but for the price its kind of ridiculous, unless you switch companies every few years to keep the cost down.

• Admin
Definitely. So many streaming options available nowadays. I agree that convenience is still a big feature with cable, but for the price its kind of ridiculous, unless you switch companies every few years to keep the cost down.

Which we have done I guess. Our costs are not that high for D* and Fios Internet.
When they get the costs down, I will look closely, but right now the cost of the items comparatively is close to the same we are paying. Quality TV channels are very high margin businesses, so they will be able to offer streaming for a lot less. Personally I think it canibalizes their model and bites the hand that feeds them, but shifting to the future is never a bad thing.

Which we have done I guess. Our costs are not that high for D* and Fios Internet.
When they get the costs down, I will look closely, but right now the cost of the items comparatively is close to the same we are paying. Quality TV channels are very high margin businesses, so they will be able to offer streaming for a lot less. Personally I think it canibalizes their model and bites the hand that feeds them, but shifting to the future is never a bad thing.

I hear that. As I have said in the past, I've looked at cutting the cord. My kids mostly watch Netflix and YouTube videos anyway. The shows and networks that I watch all have streaming apps. If a few networks get together and offer an app that spans most sports, say NCAA athletics and those Pro sports that don't already stream like MLB and NFL. Then the world of cable price hikes and gouging loyal customers might be over.

For me personally, I'm JUST far enough from Wichita where I can't really use a HD over the air signal grabber with to much effort. I'd have to get a signal booster and larger equipment for the side of my house. That's not something I'm wanting to spend money on right now.

I used that as leverage with my sat provider. Once they heard I was dropping the service and going to stream everything the promos started rolling in. They are rightfully concerned about the shift happening.

with all the options cutting the cord can be a real money saver if done right, but sticking with Direct TV and a quick phone call can usually reduce the bill enough to not have to and still use the the streaming apps with your provider information.

Does it have the On Demand capabilities of HBO Go? If so its huge since Disney and Sony work exclusively with Starz.

Back