The Secret History of Tiger Woods

Im reluctant to read it simply because who is publishing it. But ill read it at some point

Interesting portrayal!!

Good read. I recently read a different article that went into his obsession with the Navy SEALS, but this one went into a lot more detail.

Love Wright Thompson. Great read.

Interesting read, no one is immune from carrying different personas and inner demons don't care about your socio-economic status.

Wright Thompson is always an entertaining read in these types of articles. I am excited to read this when I have some time.
I never knew about tigers obsession with the military and that is how he injured himself until I listened to the Haney book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know the Navy SEAL obsession. Tiger is clearly a complicated person. But who isn't? In context, he is the most amazing golfer I have ever watched. He transformed the sport. I still want to see him golf, if he still has that in him. Even if he doesn't, I hope he remains visibly involved. Hiding away never seems to have positive outcomes for anyone.

Great story. Loved the format of the article. As for Tiger, only he knows what he needs to do.

Im reluctant to read it simply because who is publishing it. But ill read it at some point

I thought the same thing, but it's a great read. very well done IMO

Interesting read, no one is immune from carrying different personas and inner demons don't care about your socio-economic status.

Very well said Donne. As a fan I've read a lot and found it interesting his "sudden" interest with the special ops community. I've always been of the opinion that his dad's passing weighed heavy on him and until he dealt with it properly, he wouldn't be the same on or off the course.

Really interesting read...how often it is that the gifts we are granted in life are not necessarily the ones we want.

Really a good read. I had read some about his wanting to be a Seal, but never knew about all the time he actually spent with them.

We kind of excuse ourselves from having compassion for the rich and famous - "Yeah go cry about it on your bed of money/private island/ whatever." Life is still life, work is still work, even for TW it sounds like. I'd sure like the opportunity to prove this saying wrong one day, but money doesn't buy happiness, and it certainly can't make a family.

We kind of excuse ourselves from having compassion for the rich and famous - "Yeah go cry about it on your bed of money/private island/ whatever." Life is still life, work is still work, even for TW it sounds like. I'd sure like the opportunity to prove this saying wrong one day, but money doesn't buy happiness, and it certainly can't make a family.

Very well said, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Pretty interesting read for sure, didn't realize he was doing any of the combat training type of stuff.

I now recall having heard about his obsession with SEAL training but had forgotten it. Thanks for posting the link.

What stood out to me more then anything in this piece was his childhood. His friends were his dad and his dads buddies. That is not healthy and is reflective of the Tiger we know today. He hasn't had to interact and learn how to be accepted because he was never placed in those situations throughout his life.

What stood out to me more then anything in this piece was his childhood. His friends were his dad and his dads buddies. That is not healthy and is reflective of the Tiger we know today. He hasn't had to interact and learn how to be accepted because he was never placed in those situations throughout his life.

Those were his buddies at the course, but he did also attend school and it did say he was close to Noah from middle school on.

My guess is he would have turned out to be a perfectly well adjusted introvert if he wasn't subjected to the public eye.

Those were his buddies at the course, but he did also attend school and it did say he was close to Noah from middle school on.

My guess is he would have turned out to be a perfectly well adjusted introvert if he wasn't subjected to the public eye.

This often seems to be the case with child prodigies. Not making excuses for Tiger at all, but getting thrust into adulthood because of your talent doesn't automatically make you the most well adjusted individual.

No, I get that but being in the constant shadow of your father and his buddies isn't the way most kids grow up. You see dad at the dinner table or when he pops his head in before you go to bed then he tries to cram in stuff with you on the weekend. It was more the norm for Tiger to hang with people he had nothing in common with then just be a kid.

This often seems to be the case with child prodigies. Not making excuses for Tiger at all, but getting thrust into adulthood because of your talent doesn't automatically make you the most well adjusted individual.

Yep, I think the article said it best when it talked about people who know him well don't think he is stuck up, they think he is weird. He is just another dude who is great at golf, but probably should have never been famous.

I can't excuse his fooling around, but all of his behavior makes more sense the more I learn about him.

While I can appreciate the sympathizers, Tiger became a product of what he hated growing up, and that's on him.

I have enjoyed reading the piece on him (or at least as far as I've gotten) but I really don't share any sympathy. We all go through hardships, death, and regret. It's how we handle ourselves during the hardest times that define us as human beings. He has/had the ability to own it and seek help (and wow does/did he ever need help) rather than repress it with other activities.

Oddly enough, this actually makes me like him less as a golfer (now). It's clear that chapter of his life is over.

Yep, I think the article said it best when it talked about people who know him well don't think he is stuck up, they think he is weird. He is just another dude who is great at golf, but probably should have never been famous.

I can't excuse his fooling around, but all of his behavior makes more sense the more I learn about him.

The part about the fooling was interesting too because it was what he reportedly hated most about his dad. Kind of ironic how it turned out to be his undoing.

While I can appreciate the sympathizers, Tiger became a product of what he hated growing up, and that's on him.

I have enjoyed reading the piece on him (or at least as far as I've gotten) but I really don't share any sympathy. We all go through hardships, death, and regret. It's how we handle ourselves during the hardest times that define us as human beings. He has/had the ability to own it and seek help (and wow does/did he ever need help) rather than repress it with other activities.

Oddly enough, this actually makes me like him less as a golfer (now). It's clear that chapter of his life is over.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't have sympathy for the man, but I think this is easily one of the best articles written on him. I certainly appreciate what he's done for the game, and it's going to be interesting to see how his comeback goes if it ever does happen.

Back