Tell Us About You

I like long walks on the beach and puppies......sorry wrong forum.
I was a competitive cowboy mounted shooter before I got back into golf. You have 2 single action revolvers, riding a horse wide open, shooting at targets in an arena. It was like playing cowboy for the day shooting at the bad guys! I wasn't one of the top dogs but i could compete with about anyone. I also have my pilot license and taught myself to play the banjo.

HELLO neighbor!

My youngest daughter (she's about to turn 6) out of the blue asked if we could go fishing about two weeks ago. Surprise the heck out of me, considering I don't fish and haven't owned a poll in probably 20 years! Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure we'd catch a fish and she'd freak out when I tell her she can touch it and then we have to put it back! lol What would you suggest I do with her? I know how to fish and all, but I no longer have any polls or supplies and I haven't thought about that in 15 years.
I have no idea what local waterways are near you but I would see if I could charter a trip. It probably won't cost you much more than buying gear for the two of you, and will allow her to have a great time catching some fish.

I have no idea what local waterways are near you but I would see if I could charter a trip. It probably won't cost you much more than buying gear for the two of you, and will allow her to have a great time catching some fish.

There's not a lot of areas around here in the middle of Kansas. We have a number of places to fish, but I don't recall having any fish charter groups...hunting, yes, but fishing no. That's a good idea though! I'd hate to spend the money needed on polls and supplies just to fish once. I might have to see if a few of my friends around here would want to go and have her tag along.

I played Div. III baseball for three years and golfed my senior year in College. Never played in any organized golf event up until my Senior year in College.

That is exactly what I did

Hummmm...I feel like a lot of you know a LOT about me. Let see...something new?

I'm have/am a First Degree Black Belt in Hopkido. I started when I was in Kindergarten with my twin brother and I had my black belt by the time I was in 3rd grade. At the time, my brother and I were the youngest black belt holders in the US. Then a year later I (we) got our first degree, so...one step over a black belt.

I remember about a 1/4 of what I learned, but the stuff I do remember is the good stuff. Unfortunately, due to a lack of flexibility with growing older, some of the things I USE to be able to do at that time, I can't anymore. Like the splits, and being able to kick over my head.

There you go!
Note to self:

If I ever find myself in a situation where I need to attack Agent Jay, come in from above.

I wrote computer hardware reviews for 5+ years for a few different sites, most recently HotHardware.com. I may have around 200 articles out there (not sure, maybe more, maybe less).

My writing is one of the things I am most confident in, and I love to help people improve their writing/grammar/sentence structure/etc. This is related to the fact that I am a very detail-oriented guy. Mistakes just stand out to me, and I want to fix them.

My wife can do that too. I don't know how she does it, but within a few seconds she can tell you what day of the week any date is. Baffling to me.
Well my "secret" was pretty simple. Early on in my career I had a job that had deadlines on Monday. So I learned all the Monday dates for the next month, then the next month and so on. It just became a memorization thing. So by knowing all the Monday dates, i would just add back or forward whatever number and come up with the date in question. A totally useless skill, but sometimes, in a meeting when someone would say let's meet the 2nd Monday of next month to talk about it, I would know the date before they opened up their calendars (pre palm pilot, cell phone, PDA days...ha) One guy in the office used to refer to me as a human calendar lol

HELLO neighbor!

My youngest daughter (she's about to turn 6) out of the blue asked if we could go fishing about two weeks ago. Surprise the heck out of me, considering I don't fish and haven't owned a poll in probably 20 years! Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure we'd catch a fish and she'd freak out when I tell her she can touch it and then we have to put it back! lol What would you suggest I do with her? I know how to fish and all, but I no longer have any polls or supplies and I haven't thought about that in 15 years.

PM incoming...

How small goes a parachute canopy look once it opens? That's what I thought when I looked up .. " damn those look bigger from the ground!! " lol

I thought it looked freakin huge! Maybe that was just my impression because I was so damned glad to see it there :clapp:

I also studied martial arts, including Okinawan Kempo, Judo, Aikido, Jeet Kune Do, a little boxing, Arnis stick fighting, ehhhh, a little Wing Chun and even some Chen Tai Chi. Black belt was in kempo. I studied this stuff for about 20 years, did a handful of tournaments, ran a couple of classes - mostly kids classes. I'm too old for that stuff now!

Dude I was shaking like a leaf and unfortunately the first hole was a short sharp left dogleg and this was back when I could murder a golf ball so my drive would have been about 60 yards through the fairway so I had to take the little 3w.

In hindsight I should have hit an iron ha-ha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sometimes, we just overthink things and worry too much.

Funny thing was, that was my 3rd THP event.

In my first the 2014 Bridgestone Championship at PGA National, I was in the first group off the tee, partnered with mike_g and playing with Hawk and JB. And 36 other THP'ers all standing around the first tee. That was as nervous as I've ever been. I was dreading that tee shot all morning, thinking I'd throw up all over myself.

I somehow managed to hit a decent fade into the fairway. I out-drove Hawk by about 3 yards and said something about being pleased by that :alien2: JB said, out driving Hawk is setting the bar pretty low, LOL That was great and put me at ease the rest of the round.

I played professional basketball and I am currently a chemical engineer.

Developed an ink cartridge for Kodak in the early 90's as a summer intern that would allow the email and printing of X-rays.

This has turned into one of my all-time favorite threads.

• I get very anxious thinking about death and what happens or doesn't happen after we're gone. Just typing it out makes me anxious.
  • I'm left-handed, but I play golf right-handed.
  • I played high school baseball until I was 16 and I had to get a job. I regret giving it up and I regret never playing football.
  • My Bachelor's degree was in History and I have two Master's degrees. One in Secondary Education, the other in Instructional Technology.

I am left handed as well, golf is the only thing I do right handed

This has turned into one of my all-time favorite threads.

• I get very anxious thinking about death and what happens or doesn't happen after we're gone. Just typing it out makes me anxious.
  • I'm left-handed, but I play golf right-handed.
  • I played high school baseball until I was 16 and I had to get a job. I regret giving it up and I regret never playing football.
  • My Bachelor's degree was in History and I have two Master's degrees. One in Secondary Education, the other in Instructional Technology.

Some interesting stuff in here! Here's a few that I can think of:
* I got into a verbal fight with Vanilla Ice at my hotel on Spring break in Daytona. His security had to drag him into an elevator, apparently he doesn't like to be called short or washed up (or both). I may have had a few beverages before that encounter.

* I was fired from a job for missing a flight to a training session. I suffered from extreme flight anxiety and couldn't overcome it to get to the airport. I've since worked through it and can get on a plane, still don't like flying, but I can get there.

* I decided to go to college in FL without ever stepping foot on campus. The deadline for applications was approaching, and we got a big snow storm, so I just sent in the paperwork to get away. Best decision I've ever made!

* I got into a verbal fight with Vanilla Ice at my hotel on Spring break in Daytona. His security had to drag him into an elevator, apparently he doesn't like to be called short or washed up (or both). I may have had a few beverages before that encounter.

* I was fired from a job for missing a flight to a training session. I suffered from extreme flight anxiety and couldn't overcome it to get to the airport. I've since worked through it and can get on a plane, still don't like flying, but I can get there.

* I decided to go to college in FL without ever stepping foot on campus. The deadline for applications was approaching, and we got a big snow storm, so I just sent in the paperwork to get away. Best decision I've ever made!
LOL at the Vanilla Ice incident. too funny.

On the job front, that's not cool. I don't know how long ago that was, or what the comapny was, but it seems to me, they should have been more accepting and understanding of your situation. Maybe looked for a future training you could drive to.

Glad the Florida school thing worked out.

I once ate Crawfish with Dan Marino and his wife.

LOL at the Vanilla Ice incident. too funny.

On the job front, that's not cool. I don't know how long ago that was, or what the comapny was, but it seems to me, they should have been more accepting and understanding of your situation. Maybe looked for a future training you could drive to.

Glad the Florida school thing worked out.

Thanks. It was a mess, I showed up to the office instead of getting on the plane. They weren't happy and shortly after that, let me go.

Sounds a bit like my encounter with a not-yet-famous Gwen Stefani.

Pro tip: Do NOT ask her for a slice of her pizza.

Had dinner with Martha Stewart at a Greenhouse conference........what a nasty @#$%! All the bad things you've heard about her are true. On the other hand, waited for a connection with Tip O'neill and he spent two hours regaling me with some pretty great stories and 'inside' stuff!

I had lunch in Indianapolis with Bob Costas one day in the food court of the downtown mall. A couple things... he made me feel like a giant and I am 5'7". He is the smartest human being that I have ever been in contact with.

I cried like a BABY when Flying Brian lost to Jushin Thunder Liger (yes the WCW wrestlers) back in the 90s.

Keeping with the celebrity theme.

About 3 years ago, I spent the better part of a day with Jim Brown. He was staying in my hotel and was asking about golf courses in the area, I told him, let me make a call and I'll be right back. Came back had breakfast with him, and we sat there for about two hours just talking about everything you can imagine. Then I took him to my home course (at the time) and set him up to go out with the head pro and a local Web.Com guy who practices there. They invited me to fill out the foursome, but sadly i didn't have the clothes or cllubs to do so. I came back a few hours later, after the round, had some drinks in the bar with him and other staff and guests. Drove him back to the hotel and had dinner, and met his wife and daughter.

Still have his cell number in my phone, but have been afraid to ever use it, even though he told me to call him anytime, I needed anything.

I learned so much about him that day. A day I'll never forget.

Many, many, many years ago I was in law enforcement. I pulled over some guy for speeding right in a town center. I got his drivers license and it was J. D. Salinger, a notorious hermit who absolutely hated being famous. Anyway, I gave him a warning but I made him sign it. I kept the original. I have no idea where that autograph got to. It might be worth a few bucks if I could find it!

Keeping with the celebrity theme.

About 3 years ago, I spent the better part of a day with Jim Brown. He was staying in my hotel and was asking about golf courses in the area, I told him, let me make a call and I'll be right back. Came back had breakfast with him, and we sat there for about two hours just talking about everything you can imagine. Then I took him to my home course (at the time) and set him up to go out with the head pro and a local Web.Com guy who practices there. They invited me to fill out the foursome, but sadly i didn't have the clothes or cllubs to do so. I came back a few hours later, after the round, had some drinks in the bar with him and other staff and guests. Drove him back to the hotel and had dinner, and met his wife and daughter.

Still have his cell number in my phone, but have been afraid to ever use it, even though he told me to call him anytime, I needed anything.

I learned so much about him that day. A day I'll never forget.

Amazing athlete, was All American in lacrosse at Syracuse in addition to his noted football prowess. He also starred in basketball and track.

Back