Tell Us About You

Many, many, many years ago I was in law enforcement. I pulled over some guy for speeding right in a town center. I got his drivers license and it was J. D. Salinger, a notorious hermit who absolutely hated being famous. Anyway, I gave him a warning but I made him sign it. I kept the original. I have no idea where that autograph got to. It might be worth a few bucks if I could find it!
I never pulled over anyone famous is my time in law enforcement. I did pull over a Captains daughter who thought that made her famous.

I dont recall mentioning it but I am a drummer. Love anything drums and percussion. Love,love,love it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Oh I also love anything to do with navy seals. Especially seal team 6. The top secret seal team 6

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

A couple weird things with me...

I am scared to death of MRI tubes. I've had to have 3 MRIs in my life and I have finished one of them. The first two... I woke up every day of the week of in full blown panic attacks. So bad that I'd have to go outside and go for a walk in the pouring down rain to calm down. When I say I am scared to death of them, I am petrified.

I absolutely hate all white comdiments... mayo, ranch, sour cream, blue cheese, whip cream, etc.. absolutely disgusting.

Ricky Steamboat pulled a gun on my dad. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat that is. Steamboat and Ric Flair had a match that night in my hometown.. well, after the matches were over, my dad and mom are leaving and see Flair and Steamboat riding in a car together. My dad starts yelling obscenities at them and Ricky calls Dad over and pulls a handgun on him and told him to "STFU and get out of here".

Very interesting thread. Ive got a few that come to mind.

When I was two, a barn on our property caught on fire through some kind of combustion. Me, my mom, and my sister were inside. Somehow we got separated and my mom and sister made it out with some pretty serious burns. I somehow walked out being burned over about 70 percent of my body. I was air lifted to a hospital in Augusta, Ga where I remained for some 4-5 months while they grafted and regrew my skin. I only have a few barely noticeable scars from the incident.

I can field dress a deer in about 3 minutes.

I considered myself an amateur stunt guy when I was a kid through my teenage years. Nothing paid or anything like that, but stories of my stunts still reach my ears on occasion. Some were spontaneous and others more orchestrated. All were pretty stupid.

I have completed part of my pilots license. I haven't decided when or if I will finish yet.

I am very mechanically inclined and can build or fix pretty much anything without much effort.

I sing bluegrass gospel at church and with some friends. I really enjoy good bluegrass and travel around watching various bands.

One thing about me, since the age of about 9-10 till only a couple years ago i absolutely hated elevators. When i was little i went shopping with my Grandma and one day in the shopping centre i hoped in the lift and was going down to meet her but it stopped at the wrong level and being little i panicked when i couldnt find her (she got to me in about 5 mins), and since then i was scared of them.
Also now i hate them but i do travel in them. I prefer the stair case.

Lots of cool stuff in here. Trying to think of what to say, some probably know most/all of these...

I played in a Reggae band for a few years down in California. Opened for Black Uhuru, Pablo Moses, Meditations, the Skatalites, Eek A Mouse, Dave Wakeling among others. Was fun times.
I am totally deaf out of my right ear and have high and low loss in my left.
I've ridden greyhound coast to coast, twice.
I've done graffiti art in the past and still doodle with it but haven't spray painted anything in years (in part due to having been to jail a few times because of doing it when I was younger).

-Right handed but play hockey left handed
this is how its supposed to be done, or at least what the Canadians tell me

I was and still am a space junkie. I grew up in the 60s/70s during the space race and still love reading/watching about the missions we're doing today. Landing on asteroids!! Pluto fly-by..WOW, and lots of other cool stuff we're doing out there. The highlight of my childhood was caddying for Commander Jim Lovell in a celebrity/amateur charity tournament for Colon Cancer. This was not long after the Apollo 13 mission and I was totally awe-struck when I drew his name that day.

I've been with the same company for almost 33 years. Hard to do any more.

Probably the most notable thing about me is that I think I am the only adult male south of the Mason-Dixon line that doesn't follow the SEC, or any college sports for that matter. I get a lot of odd looks when people find that out about me, but I have never been threatened yet. :act-up:

Amazing athlete, was All American in lacrosse at Syracuse in addition to his noted football prowess. He also starred in basketball and track.
Yep a man of many accomplishments. We talked about it all football, lacrosse, basketball, golf, movies and race relations to name just a few.

When we were in the clubhouse one of the players there came up and asked him if he "Was Jim Brown, the famous lacrosse player," that made him laugh.

During our breakfast, I think many people didn't recognize him. I know most won't come bother someone while they are eating and having a conversation. But very few even did a double take at him. At the course it was much different. Eveyone knew of him. He was very obliging of pictures and autographs.

My best sport is darts. But I can hold my own with an epeé and I am trying to get better at golf. Professionally, I've been in healthcare for over 25 years with specialization in EMR development.

Something I have not told THP, not quite sure I haven't said that much. But, I am into boating/sailing and love getting out on the water.

I have a terrible habit of getting hurt at concerts. I broke my nose and got a concussion at a Soulfly & Static-X concert at Nations in DC, got a finger dislocated at the 930 club in DC at a Juliana Theory show, and split open a toenail at a Flogging Molly concert at Mesa Amphitheater.

I have a terrible habit of getting hurt at concerts. I broke my nose and got a concussion at a Soulfly & Static-X concert at Nations in DC, got a finger dislocated at the 930 club in DC at a Juliana Theory show, and split open a toenail at a Flogging Molly concert at Mesa Amphitheater.
Might be time for you to switch to classical music.

I'm the last of 6 kids... As a kid I made an appearance on "Good Morning Detroit", was in a public service announcement about diabetes on tv, then as an adult I was on a Reebok commercial that ran before every Charlotte Hornets game back in 1994/1995... I love 80's R&B/rap and "Smooth Jazz" like Paul Hardcastle/Jazzmasters/Boney James... I'm 6'5", but I was only 5'11" when I got my license at 17! I grew 6" in two years!

My degree is in History, with a specialty in 20th Century Military. Emphasis on WWII Pacific Theater and Arab-Israeli Conflict. Seriously considered pursuing a college teaching career, but got married very early before even finishing undergrad so never went back to school. Used to be an avid reader of military history but struggle to find time to read now. Was very active in war board gaming for years, specifically with a huge WWII game called Advanced Squad Leader. Here's a picture of a pacific landing in the game:

f9e1423ada648051ba7917ae15e7d0a4.jpg
Advanced Squad Leader...it's not just a game, it's a lifestyle choice!

I dabbled in ASL, and spent many more countless hours playing other historical wargames - World In Flames in particular, but many more as well.
I also spent countless hours over the years playing Dungeons and Dragons.
And if that wasn't enough, there are even more countless hours playing Star Fleet Battles (a tactical wargame based on the original Star Trek series).
Oh man...there are also countless hours playing football boardgames. Paydirt...Statis-Pro....Strat-O-Matic...APBA...to this day I am still active in a 16 team APBA football draft league!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Something else about me.

I had open heart surgery when I was a few days old. AT THE TIME, I was the smallest and youngest child they had ever preformed open heart surgery on at Kansas University Medical Center in KC. I was born almost 2 month premature and a valve didn't shut off like it was supposed to. Due to this I have a very long scar from just under my left pectoral muscle follows under my left arm and in an minor upwards line towards my spine.

ALSO

When I was 5 I got extremely sick. To this day they have no idea why, but due to records they decided the closet thing they could figure was viral meningitis. My brain started swelling and they had to transfer me to a large hospital and hour from my hometown. During the trip in the ambulance I coded and died. They were about to paddle me back and my heart started back up again by itself. I remember being at the gates of heaven. Even at 5, I knew. Overwhelming peace. Jesus put his hand on my chest and said, "I have some things I need you to do James, it's not you time to be here with me." The doctors told my parents I only had a 10% chance of living through the night and if I did, I'd probably be severally handicaped. My parents wouldn't stop praying. The doctors called me a walking miracle when left that hospital a few weeks later.

I was raised Mormon and did a 2-year mission starting at age 19. I was lucky enough to go to Denmark and I learned to speak Danish. I haven't been back there since my mission but hope to take my wife and boys in the next couple of years.

Something else about me.

I had open heart surgery when I was a few days old. AT THE TIME, I was the smallest and youngest child they had ever preformed open heart surgery on at Kansas University Medical Center in KC. I was born almost 2 month premature and a valve didn't shut off like it was supposed to. Due to this I have a very long scar from just under my left pectoral muscle follows under my left arm and in an minor upwards line towards my spine.

ALSO

When I was 5 I got extremely sick. To this day they have no idea why, but due to records they decided the closet thing they could figure was viral meningitis. My brain started swelling and they had to transfer me to a large hospital and hour from my hometown. During the trip in the ambulance I coded and died. They were about to paddle me back and my heart started back up again by itself. I remember being at the gates of heaven. Even at 5, I knew. Overwhelming peace. Jesus put his hand on my chest and said, "I have some things I need you to do James, it's not you time to be here with me." The doctors told my parents I only had a 10% chance of living through the night and if I did, I'd probably be severally handicaped. My parents wouldn't stop praying. The doctors called me a walking miracle when left that hospital a few weeks later.
I had spinal meningitis as a toddler. I was in the hospital for a week.
I was raised Mormon and did a 2-year mission starting at age 19. I was lucky enough to go to Denmark and I learned to speak Danish. I haven't been back there since my mission but hope to take my wife and boys in the next couple of years.
How do missions get assigned? I hear about people going these great places, the I see poor dudes hiking through my neighborhood.

I'm drawing a blank on something I may not have brought up here.. Just because of the sheer amount of time it took, I guess one thing that defines me (professionally, at least) is that I've got a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering - which I got while I was working at my current job. My lab studied how people are infected by Tuberculosis (which a staggering amount of the world's population has) to hopefully identify new treatments. My work was mostly analyzing data that came off of our sequencing machine. I was miserable during the entire process, but I miss the work a lot.

The rest of you are a whole lot more interesting than I am! this thread has been a lot of fun to read.

I'm a former actor with lots of theatre experience. I've been on tv shows and in movies, mostly extra work but with plenty of screen time and have done tons of commercials.

How do missions get assigned? I hear about people going these great places, the I see poor dudes hiking through my neighborhood.

The top church leadership in Salt Lake City makes the assignment. There's a long application process that takes into account medical conditions, experience with foreign languages, etc. I had taken a few years of German in school and indicated a strong preference to speak a foreign language, so that probably helped. I had friends that went to some awesome places - Tahiti, Italy, Australia, etc. - and then some went to places like Idaho and Mississippi. So yeah, no complaints about where I got sent :act-up:

I am a home theater buff and basshead. My last dedicated home theater had 8 15" subwoofers with nearly 8,000 watts of power. I'm currently planning my next build and am considering 8 18" or 8 24" subs with over 10,000 watts of power. I was never into car audio or bass growing up but I caught the home theater bug 15 years ago and things have clearly spiraled out of control ��

Back