Regional Rivalry DMV vs Carolina's Practice Trip Weekend of April 23rd

I agree that if this course gets windy, the toughness gets ramped up x10. As for the bunker on 11, it took me three shots. 2 to get out and 1 shot on the hill above the bunker lol.

Hole 11 is evil.

Agreed, I hit a bad tee shot and couldn't see anything but I knew right was bad. 4 hybrid left and just short of the green is what I did.
Sounds like we had the exact same shot, I had a 4 hybrid and I was in the right rough near the cart path so could not see any part of the green. I knew of the bunkers there, and thought I had aimed far enough left, to play it exactly as you did. I hit a pefect 4 hybrid and thought I had nailed the left center of the green. But when I didn't hear Big Ball or RNG who were both inthe fairway watching, say "great shot" or something, I began to worry. Sure enough they said it went straight into the wall of that same bunker.

As Dustin Johnson said, "That's all I've got, I can't hit it any better" than I did on that hybrid. When playing that hole, aim left, then back up and aim a bit more left...Ha

I agree that if this course gets windy, the toughness gets ramped up x10. As for the bunker on 11, it took me three shots. 2 to get out and 1 shot on the hill above the bunker lol.

Same exact thing here Trey, two that barely made it to the grass on the top of the bunker, only to come back down. Third one was a swing that normally would have sent my 58 degree about 60 yards, and just like yours only made it to the grass on top of the bunker.

No. 8 may be the No. 1 Handicap hole (which I parred....insert passive brag :D) but No. 11 can be much tougher in my mind if you are anything but left.

Combine that with the par 5 10th with three forced carries, and a green that is like 30 yards deep and has an elevation change of about 10 feet from back to front, and those two holes have the potential to wreck your card, and they did exactly that, as I had just come off a stretch of playing 5-9 in three over.

The thing with this course is you can hit two exact same shots (tee or approach) the exact same distance and one leaves you with 120 yd wedge shot, the other leaves you with 167 into the wind, uphill, over crater bunkers and a creek. It just depends on where you aim at.

Had so much fun yesterday. Can't wait to tee it up with THP'ers again!

Who is going to take the reigns and set up the next one? Like the Captain said if you set it up will come... Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen.

While disappointed that I couldn't make it, was probably for the best. As I noted in another thread, based on what I read about the course, someone most likely would have posted--played pretty well, but would have done better if not for--hit a shot then drag the Wahoo, hit a shot then drag the Wahoo............

While disappointed that I couldn't make it, was probably for the best. As I noted in another thread, based on what I read about the course, someone most likely would have posted--played pretty well, but would have done better if not for--hit a shot then drag the Wahoo, hit a shot then drag the Wahoo............
You would have done fine. The white tees were 6100 and while it was windy and there are elevation changes, your control game is tailor made for a course like this. Now if you had happened to find one of the bunkers we have talked about, we might still be waiting for you to get out :D

This is the green on 11

5022c0190cb654a2138c7cba5824156a.jpg

Oh!!! That's what it looks like. I couldn't tell from my vantage point about 20 yards below that in the bunker :banghead:

You would have done fine. The white tees were 6100 and while it was windy and there are elevation changes, your control game is tailor made for a course like this. Now if you had happened to find one of the bunkers we have talked about, we might still be waiting for you to get out :D

It was not so much my game, but my ability to physically handle the elevation changes. I could just see it-- Hey, has anyone seen the Wahoo. I think he's in a bunker, lets go get him. You get him around the arms, I'll get his legs. I'll pound on his chest, but I ain't gonna kiss him.

It was not so much my game, but my ability to physically handle the elevation changes. I could just see it-- Hey, has anyone seen the Wahoo. I think he's in a bunker, lets go get him. You get him around the arms, I'll get his legs. I'll pound on his chest, but I ain't gonna kiss him.

I'd kiss you wahoo, if it would keep you kicking around

It was another great THP outing and fun practice. I played with Jesse and Trey (TheCrest4 and Tbanks) and it was fun showing them the layout for the first time. It's definitely a course that you have to see a few times. Conditions and especially the tees chosen will determine how you actually approach each hole. We played the BLACK tees at ~6,700yds. There were only a few holes where a 3wood or less were needed off the tee. Move up to the whites and MANY holes would require less length for greater accuracy and distance control. The green complexes are LARGE and undulating. Placement of the pins can also change the play significantly ... we had several approach shots where Jesse and Trey were able to use the built in backstop of the higher rear tiers to positively get close to the hole (Jesse's approach on 10 checked up off the top tier and rolled back 20+ yds and he made birdie on a 20 ft come backer). Course wasn't in the best shape, fairways were soaked from the rain (when the fairways are hard placement is even more important), very thin (grass not in), greens were pretty nice. I missed all my shorter birdie putts but made several longer par putts ... all-in-all not a poor round for this time of year. I hit all but a few shots pretty well. I had fun meeting some new folks and playing with other THP'ers from last fall's outing at Whiskey Creek.

Bob (Diveguy)

Okay so did any of you lay up to the corner on #2 and leave your self 230 carry to the green and try and go for it?

It was another great THP outing and fun practice. I played with Jesse and Trey (TheCrest4 and Tbanks) and it was fun showing them the layout for the first time. It's definitely a course that you have to see a few times. Conditions and especially the tees chosen will determine how you actually approach each hole. We played the BLACK tees at ~6,700yds. There were only a few holes where a 3wood or less were needed off the tee. Move up to the whites and MANY holes would require less length for greater accuracy and distance control. The green complexes are LARGE and undulating. Placement of the pins can also change the play significantly ... we had several approach shots where Jesse and Trey were able to use the built in backstop of the higher rear tiers to positively get close to the hole (Jesse's approach on 10 checked up off the top tier and rolled back 20+ yds and he made birdie on a 20 ft come backer). Course wasn't in the best shape, fairways were soaked from the rain (when the fairways are hard placement is even more important), very thin (grass not in), greens were pretty nice. I missed all my shorter birdie putts but made several longer par putts ... all-in-all not a poor round for this time of year. I hit all but a few shots pretty well. I had fun meeting some new folks and playing with other THP'ers from last fall's outing at Whiskey Creek.

Bob (Diveguy)

I really enjoyed playing with you Bob. Thanks again for all the tips! Cant wait to tee it up again real soon.

Okay so did any of you lay up to the corner on #2 and leave your self 230 carry to the green and try and go for it?
That sounds like a T2GRN18 play, but I didn't hear anybody talking about it.

That sounds like a T2GRN18 play, but I didn't hear anybody talking about it.

Depending on white or black tees its 215-230 to the corner and anywhere from 225-235 to the green depending on your angle.

Who is going to take the reigns and set up the next one? Like the Captain said if you set it up will come... Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen.

It all starts with picking a date!!!! Captain????????

Depending on white or black tees its 215-230 to the corner and anywhere from 225-235 to the green depending on your angle.

I layed up over the corner and directly into the giant crater of nothingness where golf balls go to die.

...I may have misheard Mesaman's directions off the tee. I will not make that mistake again.

Bulle Rock on May 22nd. It"s really OITW's get together, but I know a couple of us at least are planning on playing with him. He has 10:10 and 10:20 reserved right now. I also know it's a hike for the Richmond based guys, but anyway it's out there for whoever wants to play.

Bob (Diveguy)
Bob I enjoyed it and hope we can play again soon. Thanks for showing us around and hopefully next time I play better. You make the game look so easy.

I'm thinking with my couple weeks off coming up I may try to play Tot Hill to get used to the Mike Strantz designs.

Anyone from the Carolinas heading up to RNK for a practice round before the event?

Back