2016 Golf League Thread

captaincaution

@alekbabel -2022 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This thread is dedicated to chat about your 2016 golf leagues.

The golf league I play in is through work. We have 18 2 man teams, making a switch back from 4 man teams last season. We play 9 on Thursday at Turkeyfoot Lake Golf Links in Akron. The nines are quite a bit different in my opinion. Greens are already quick and treacherous in areas.

We play a handicapped combination of match and stroke play. 2 points available per hole in each individual match, 2 points for low net, and 2 points for low team net. Our handicaps are based on the best 4 of 6 scores.

It was a fun league last year, and I'm looking forward to a good time this year!

16 two man teams. 3 alternating "off" weeks where we play a random scramble. 3 points total for a match, 2 head to head and one team. Work league. Play at a local forgiving muni with semi tough greens.

Partner and I are in 2nd after two weeks, taking 4.5 total points out of 6. Handicaps are 80% of 4 of your last 6 rounds, dropping high and low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We host a Wednesday night league, that I also play in and a couple other THP'ers are playing in. It's an individual stroke play league. Usually have about 40 to 44 guys play (two weeks so far). Prizes are paid out for first/second/third gross and net. Also a voluntary skins and CTP contests.

What's good about the individual as opposed to the team in my mind, you can come and play as often or as little as you'd like No worrying about finding a sub or your partner not showing up. There are points accumulated each week for end of year prizes. So the more you play the better chance you will have at your top 5 scores being good.

We have a monday night league same 50-60 guys every year. We use only the scores from the league for handicaps. Play 9 holes then the course gives us 1.00 beers afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I want to try and get a work league going. I think we can get 12ish guys and gals. Outside of that just the unofficial OH league

I want to try and get a work league going. I think we can get 12ish guys and gals. Outside of that just the unofficial OH league

12 golfers is our minimum for corporate leagues. So make sure you can get that many! (Not sure what other courses do)
Groups that are less than that can get standing tee times but pay normal rate, But if they show that they spend money on booze or food, we tend to give them a break on the rate!

Our Wednesday Men's League starts this Wednesday. 48 teams of two golfers each with four nights we have alternates included (so 96 golfers for 15 weeks, 144 golfers for four weeks). We play a pre-determined amount of weeks that we don't tell anyone that we set the flights. Then once that goes, we flight to ABCD, 12 teams in each flight. A nd B play one nine, C and D play the other. We're setting it up where we play the same game in two consecutive weeks while we are flighting because one nine is easier than the other; the only variable for people playing will be the weather. That way points will be distributed more fairly.

We close the course at 5PM because it takes up the whole course. $28 includes the golf and food after. $120 per team league fees. $100 of it goes to prize fund and $20 of it goes to helping pay for the food.

I run it with three other guys, all course employees.

Play a Monday work related league & then Saturday Men's Club. Men's Club will be harder this year because my usual running mates have decided not to play. They typically organize a lot of partner/group games at Men's Club so will likely end up setting out more than a few Saturdays this year.

Monday league started well. Won a close match last night and played well despite the cold & wind.

Had my first night of league last night. Won 5-4, and it was one of those rounds that shows why I'm a good match play player, but so-so when it comes to stroke play. 4 pars, 2 triples, 3 bogeys - going OB killed me on two holes. Was a good group of guys, and everyone kept it loose, even when games went south. My partner won 6.5-2.5, so we leave week 1 with 13.5 points (1 extra point for winning a match), which gets us off on the right foot.

We shot 37 in a 2 man scramble and I hit a guy for the first time ever. I bought him a drink and he was ok, but I was pretty shook up for a while. He was in the next fairway over and I hit a double cross hook and hit him in the ankle.

We did get a par from the wrong fairway.

We have an ABA league that plays every other Tuesday at Crandon Golf on Key Biscayne. Last year was team format and my partner and I were co-champions. This year is skins format. First night is this coming week. We always have bar and wings after the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in two weekly leagues.

Monday is 20 2-man teams at Royal St. Patrick's. "A" player vs "A" player and "B" player vs "B" player for 10 points each (1 per hole + 1 total). We rotate Silver (5800) / White (6300) / Purple (6600) tees and nines. Top 4 teams from each half of the season face off in the playoffs. Everyone who doesn't make the playoffs has a best 2 of 3 round tournament for cash/prizes. 2 cookouts / year.

Thursday is a (new to me) 4 man league. 2 divisions of 16 4-man teams each at Midvallee Golf Course (27 holes). We rotate nines each week, and there are all kinds of hole events and raffles. Since I haven't played in this one before I'm not quite sure of all of the details, but we get started next week.

If the weather holds off today we are playing the third nine at our course. A much shorter nine that appears to be pretty tight.

My league doesn't start till May 13th. I play in a 32 man 2-man team hdcp'd league. For pops we play 90% of difference between the two teams and we play combined score per hole. 1 pt per hole and 2 pts for totals.

Our league isn't played on the hardest course, but its well maintained and if you don't hit it straight, many times you will be punching out of trees. We have a really good skins game and closest to the pin along with a fun pot of mystery. Pull a random number and if you shot that score, you win! Lots of fun and good guys as well.

Nothing big for us, we generally have 4-16 show up and just put balls in a hat and go. $3 per man and wining team gets it all. We have been trying to get more interest and organization but it is just not there. Lets me get a mid week round of nine in though.

My mens club starts this thursday. Its an individual 18 hole stroke play deal with weekley payouts for the top 5 gross/net, with optional games for KP's, skins, and a yearly points race. I had alot of fun last year in this league. Thankfully, they stopped the evening public special that they ran last year which made it tough to finish 18 in under 4 hours. This year, we should have no problem finishing in 3 if needed. So stoked for this to start.

My league plays on Wednesdays. 20 2 man teams. Last night was the 3rd "warm up" week so next week it starts for real. Won a skin the last two weeks so I am ready.

A group of old friends who are all old car collectors like me.They are all members at various clubs thru Chicagoland so we meet up mid week.Play closest to the pin,longest putt,most greens and fairways hit.Sometimes we keep score other times not.Just a great group of a dozen of us.Usually five plus hour rounds,but the conversation and fun is worth it.Used to shoot pool with these guys in the winter or travel to shows.Just started playing golf with them as I'm starting to get more into golf.

A group of old friends who are all old car collectors like me.They are all members at various clubs thru Chicagoland so we meet up mid week.Play closest to the pin,longest putt,most greens and fairways hit.Sometimes we keep score other times not.Just a great group of a dozen of us.Usually five plus hour rounds,but the conversation and fun is worth it.Used to shoot pool with these guys in the winter or travel to shows.Just started playing golf with them as I'm starting to get more into golf.
Do you get to play with Mystery Meat?

Played our Wed night league last night with Big Ball and MDGolfHacker. Good times, even though the scores weren't. The course was playing very difficult, very hard and firm and lots of bad bounces in the wrong directions for all of us.

We posted the scored from the league and my team is 21st of 48 teams. We did play the easier nine, and of those 24 we were 8th best. Since 12 teams make up each flight, we are technically sitting right at the lower third of C flight, haha.

And we should've gotten into the skins. No one who got in birdied 16, but we did.

We play red, white and blue for league on Monday night. Should be a good time!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Second night of league in a couple of hours. We'll have a better idea of how we stand after tonight's play as the course will be set up the same as last week and everyone will have a round on the front and a round on the back. We're playing what has been traditionally the harder of the two nines tonight.

Second night of league in a couple of hours. We'll have a better idea of how we stand after tonight's play as the course will be set up the same as last week and everyone will have a round on the front and a round on the back. We're playing what has been traditionally the harder of the two nines tonight.
So the course is set with the same pin locations and everything?

So the course is set with the same pin locations and everything?
Yes. I asked the super to set it up the same (pins, tees) the whole time we are flighting, which will be between 4 and 10 weeks. I wanted the only variable to be the weather.

Back