Junior Golf (Tips, Hints and Drills)

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I thought it might be kind of cool to put our ideas for juniors in one spot, I didn't think we had one.

I've heard/read a ton over the years and now that my kids are finally of age where they can learn a bit more about golf it's fun to try new stuff with them.

Found this one on twitter, putting pong, cool idea for a couple teams of kids working on speed:

Not really tips, but if anyone's child gets serious about golf I would look hard at equipment from US Kids Golf. My kid uses the TS 57 series clubs and has had really good results.

I would also suggest getting involved in the First Tee program if one is in your area.

Also consider involvement in PGA Junior League Golf. It's team/scramble format in a league.

http://www.pgajlg.com/

I would second the suggestion on the US Kids equipment. Besides club sets, they also sell Yard clubs that are lightweight with super oversized heads.

My son is 8 and we are trying to get him into golf as an after-school activity. We have tried team sports, but the only one that he was halfway interested in was baseball.
After doing quite a bit of research on the proper club size for him, I bought him some used clubs off of the internet and gave them to him for his birthday. He was stoked and has been out in the yard hitting practice balls around with his 9 iron.

I'm here looking for advice on how to get him interested, but still make it fun. I'm pretty much a noob too, but know the basics.

During the summer we are planning on getting him in a local golf camp or at least get him a few lessons.

Until then, my plan is to just get him out to the driving range and just let him whack a bunch of balls. No pressure and have some fun.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

@Bears - you are doing it. Gear to get started, introduce him to the game, keep it fun, camps / lessons, etc. If he loves it he will let you know what comes next.

To the OP - the kid's camp up here taught them a game, can't remember the name of it. Basically, it's a putting version of tag. Place 2 tees in the ground however far apart you want. Start behind one tee and putt toward the other tee, alternating turns. When you hit the first tee you turn around and go for the second/original tee. The first person to hit both tees is "it" and can knock people out by putting his ball into their ball. Other players still try for the second tee, at which point they get the power to knock other people out. It's actually pretty fun - I play it with the kids too.

re gear, I say buy something cheap at first. After that US Kids is good. So is Ping and Callaway (my kids have both).

My son is doing a youth clinic and he loves it. He is in a beginner group and having other beginners there has kept him from being nervous

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Leave 'em alone and just let them hit balls. If they ask for help provide. Maybe, occasionally offer up an idea. But, don't tell them how to do it. The junior clinics are a great way to learn and socialize. Plus, a good instructor will also teach etiquette and rule during those clinics. I wouldn't go the private lesson route until the kid really shows an interest and wants to get better. When you do go that route, leave the kid and the instructor alone. That is their time.

Leave 'em alone and just let them hit balls. If they ask for help provide. Maybe, occasionally offer up an idea. But, don't tell them how to do it. The junior clinics are a great way to learn and socialize. Plus, a good instructor will also teach etiquette and rule during those clinics. I wouldn't go the private lesson route until the kid really shows an interest and wants to get better. When you do go that route, leave the kid and the instructor alone. That is their time.

This is great advice.

I have two kids that play and are very accomplished. One is 16 and one is 11.

Let them live at the putting and chipping range. These are the two most important areas of the game in terms of scoring. They need to learn how to have soft hands. This is something that is learned not taught. Once you reach a certain age it can't even be learned.

Teach them the grip and then let them learn how to hit the ball on their own. Do not give them tips or advice because more than likely it will not be the correct advice.

You will know when it is time to get an instructor. Keep them involved in junior clinics and local junior golf programs. I am not a fan of the First Tee. They can really be hit and miss. I know in Florida they aren't that great.

In terms of equipment, US Kids Irons and Flynn Irons are the two best manufacturers of Junior clubs. The metal woods aren't very good, but for a beginner they will do. Stay away from the OEM junior clubs.

Junior golf is my life. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or ask here. Love to talk about it.

First tee for Kai and time with daddy outside of that. If it takes, great. If not, oh well.

We got Matt lessons, he likes the game. But is he passionate for the game. Not at all, and that's cool. It's something we can do together,which is allowed can ask for. However,this great game brought us closer which is a huge win.

I volunteer at my local course for the Junior League and all I am trying to do for the kids is teach them about the game, not swing we have a pro for that. I just want to help them manage their way around the course and learn how to play in matches if that is something they are interested in. To me it is all about showing how great this can be of it is something for you.

Make it fun and interesting if they enjoy it my hope is they stick with it.

On the flip side I have encounter some really Richards in the time I have volunteered. Parents, coaches and unfortunately kids that take it way too seriously. Damn shame if you ask me, it is a game and supposed to be fun

My biggest tip for 99% of parents out there is: Don't try to teach them yourself. 2nd tip: when you ignore the first tip remember to keep it fun. That is a hard one for a lot of parents I know. Dad's (and mom's too I suspect) think their kids should just be able to pick up a club and be perfect first time out, and they forget how hard this game really can be. I think they also tend to assume their kid is just not listening to the instruction from the parent, when they're telling the kid how to swing using concepts and words that the kids just don't understand. (Keep the club face closed and your swing on plane!!) Instructors know how to teach these concepts, and how to phrase things so they're easier to understand.

My daughter refuses to take lessons or clinics, I'm not sure why, but I suspect she's afraid an instructor is going to be mean to her, or make her feel bad about her swing. So when we go play I do my best to just let her swing away and try to just enjoy being out there with her. The only real advice I offer her is alignment and club selection. I did spend about 5 minutes last night showing her how to use the markings on the ball and her putter to align her putts.

The biggest issue she's currently got is contact, I'm not sure how to help her with that so if anyone has any easy tips/drills for that I'd love to hear them.

I just take my 5 yr old to the range and let him swing away. He's got a top flite driver, iron and putter from GG. Some days are better than others, but he likes it and has fun which is really my only concern. On the bad days I just encourage him not to get frustrated and to keep at it. No plans for an instructor as I think that would take the fun out of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yea, my kid is 4.5, and I guess I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town. I just take my kid out to the course, we get on the golf course, and we will drive from green to green. At each green, we get out, I work on my short game, and he tees up a ball and just swings away. You wouldn't believe how far he can hit a real ball with a plastic putter.

And that will last for about 4 greens or so (maybe 40-50 minutes total). After that, he moves on to something else. The last time we were out, he saw me fixing balls marks (since no one else at our course does it would seem). He wanted to do that, so I showed him how to do it, watched him a few times, and next thing you know, I'm going around green to green putting, and he's just walking around the greens looking for ball marks and fixing them.

At a young age, the only thing you can do is let them have fun, because as soon as it is not fun, they will associate golf with not being fun and never want to do it. So just don't force anything. If your kid wants to take rocks or pine cones and throw them in the pond, why not? (My kid does sometimes) You are outside having fun, and your kid will associate the golf course as a fun place.

That said, I'll be following along here. I'd love to here some simple games my kid could do that he would find fun.

~Rock

Snag Golf has been great for the kids to learn with!

Back