Course Review: Chambers Bay

You are getting me excited for our round in a few weeks!

Just play Chambers yesterday...it was very warm at 85-88 degrees....Kapps pics do not do justice as its spectacular there on sunny days.

1. Rates are getting abit outrageous at 220.00 I believe...I paid the WA resident rate at 165.00...ouch.

2. when I played there last year, I thought the greens were in horrendous condition(sandy, dirt sports, bumpy and super slow)...this yr I would say they rolled better but in general, they are pretty bad...slowest greens I have ever putted on...abit bumpy too...not like the greens in links style greens in Scotland or Bandon Dunes for that matter...I cringe to think they will play a US Open there next summer.

3. Surprisingly, there is hardly any wind on the course...you are right next to Puget Sound so you would expect a breeze but there isn't any, elderly people better use a caddy unless they are in very good shape cause it is hilly and can get very warm in that bowl during summer months....no drive carts.

4. a lot of nets 30-50 yards on front of several greens as they are trying to grow them out and keep in good shape for next summers US open.

5. The club house is tiny...they will need a lot of tents next yr thats all I can say.

6. the course is great and challenging...unique to see a links style course in the PNW...I really enjoy playing there...the only thing that I don't like about it are the super slow greens.

But in my honest opinion, this isn't the right type of course or setting to host a US Open...this place isn't like Pebble Beach...you have to drive through neighborhoods to get there and there are no amenities close by unless you consider Tacoma close....I really hope they do something about those greens.

also, I am surprised the course doesn't drain well considering the douse is built on old rock quarry...when i played it a few yrs ago , it was raining modestly and the course drained very well...guess too much rain overwhelms it...a cpuse like Bandom Dunes is another story, it can put for hrs and 10 minutes later the ground is barely damp....obviously alot of sand under the fairway grass at Bandon.

I can only imagine what it would be like in perfect weather, good for you! Yeah, the greens... The more I think about it the more I think it must have just been a deluge of water that particular day. It has rained the other two times I've played Chambers and the course drained okay. I also agree about hosting the US Open...no parking, driving through neighborhoods and where are they going to put the spectators on the course? It isn't their first rodeo, so they'll have a plan and it will probably work. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

It will all work out. I had some questions when I played it until I remembered it's the USGA. As much as I don't agree with a lot of what they do they get the courses ready, and this one is going to be tough

I'm bumping this so people can see what the course looks like when it isn't burnt out for the US Open.

I'm bumping this so people can see what the course looks like when it isn't burnt out for the US Open.

It was unfortunate that they didnt have a it more rain before the US Open to have it looking a little better and greener, but thats nature I guess.

Just saw this while glancing at Chambers' rates right now (ridiculous, btw):

Chambers Bay accepts tee time reservations for groups less than 16 players up to 90 days in advance, regardless of residency. All Advance Booked tee times are prepaid at time of booking and non-refundable. Groups of 16 players or more may book up to one year in advance.

So let me get this straight, you now have to prepay and lock yourself in? If I'm reading this correctly, it's worse even than Torrey Pines' booking policy.

Tee time has been booked for July!

I am positive you will love it. I had an absolutely fantastic time playing this with some THPers. Make sure you get there plenty early as the range isn't anywhere near the pro shop, you have to take a bus down there. Oh, and some comfortable walking shoes.

I am positive you will love it. I had an absolutely fantastic time playing this with some THPers. Make sure you get there plenty early as the range isn't anywhere near the pro shop, you have to take a bus down there. Oh, and some comfortable walking shoes.
Good advice. The range is a bus ride from the pro shop and then another bus ride to the first tee.
Massive chipping green though.

I had a blast playing it and would love to play there again in the off season when it's cheaper.

Tee time has been booked for July!

It says a lot when Pumpkin Ridge - a course that's hosted numerous big time events - will be the 'ho hum' course of a golf trip. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It says a lot when Pumpkin Ridge - a course that's hosted numerous big time events - will be the 'ho hum' course of a golf trip. Enjoy!

Ya he has a decent list of courses... I am not jealous at all

Tick-tock, tick-tock goes the Chambers clock.

#7Days

Tick-tock, tick-tock goes the Chambers clock.

#7Days
Good news for you - when I played with DrRosenRosen last month he told me the greens are usually good (I guess I've just been unlucky the 3 times I've played it).

This will definitely be a different experience than Sahalee, that's for sure.

Course Review: Chambers Bay

Good news for you - when I played with DrRosenRosen last month he told me the greens are usually good (I guess I've just been unlucky the 3 times I've played it).

Sahalee has never let me down, Chambers I'm happy to have played it but don't need to play it again.

Lately I've got the itch to play Chambers Bay again. I will probably do it next winter since it's such a good winter course.

Just to clarify...my experience is the greens were never "bad." I would never classify them as "good or great," but my understanding, based on no actual experience, is a great fescue/links' green is an oxymoron.

Sahalee on the other hand.... You know I love that course and would give up my oldest child (I like the younger one better anyway :D) to play Sahalee again.

Just to clarify...my experience is the greens were never "bad." I would never classify them as "good or great," but my understanding, based on no actual experience, is a great fescue/links' green is an oxymoron.

Sahalee on the other hand.... You know I love that course and would give up my oldest child (I like the younger one better anyway :D) to play Sahalee again.

Looking forward to both as I know both are totally different than the other! Any "must do's" while at Chambers?? (other than play some golf :D)

Looking forward to both as I know both are totally different than the other! Any "must do's" while at Chambers?? (other than play some golf :D)
Every time I've been there I've been pleasantly surprised by the food. So I'd recommend a post round meal and beer in the clubhouse restaurant. It also has great views over the course.

Are you guys spending a night in Tacoma? Or do you mean before/after the round type stuff?

Every time I've been there I've been pleasantly surprised by the food. So I'd recommend a post round meal and beer in the clubhouse restaurant. It also has great views over the course.

Are you guys spending a night in Tacoma? Or do you mean before/after the round type stuff?

Just at the course itself. Didn't know if there were any hidden treasures or "go take a look at that" sort of things. Just gathering from your experience there.

Gotchya. No, not really, at least not that I remember. Just get there early to give yourself plenty of time to take the shuttle down to the practice area and back.

Just at the course itself. Didn't know if there were any hidden treasures or "go take a look at that" sort of things. Just gathering from your experience there.

If I were you, it's worth at least checking out the very top tee on #9 if you have time, because it's such a spectacular spot.

You'll enjoy the track. I've played it twice and enjoyed it both times. The greens were solid when I was there - again not amazing, like DRR said, but solid. It's so much fun trying to figure out your short game shots there. I remember missing a green right and being up on some tamped down really long grass and I hit a putter down about 20 vertical feet of dune onto the green to about 10-15 feet. Such crazy weird shots you have to hit there sometimes!

You guys getting caddies?

Back