Lengthening Shafts on Wedges?

NevoGamer

Reaction score
Handicap
I play a set of Ping G2s that are +1" long. This year I've developed a significant (20-25 yard) distance gap between my PW (47°) and my GW (Vokey 52°) . My GW has the stock shaft, so it's not +1".

I've been wondering if lengthening my wedges (also play a 56° and a 60°) is an option to reduce the yardage gap? Or should I be pursuing less loft instead (maybe 50/54/58)?

In theory, yes. Longer shafts will increase distance. But if it were me, I would look at the setup before changing the length.

All my wedges play to the same length and I use the Lofts for my yardages more so.

My 9 irons playes to 36.25 while all my wedges are 36".There are many options one can do,you can do your PW and GW at one length,then do your SW and LW and 1/2" shorter but hose two the same.

Reason I do this is cause I hate having My LW so much shorter and it feels more comfortable this way.

JB, what do you think I should be looking at?

I cant answer that one for you. Where there are larger gaps, you should try and fill. Every golfer is different on how they hit the ball, so gaps are different as well. The goal is to have even gaps in certain places so taht you can maximize each club for what your needs are.

Hope that makes sense.

You could always bend it to 51 degrees.

I don't know if this helps, but I was looking at the Cleveland web page and they have a pretty basic wedge fitting thing there.

I was playing around myself since my R9 PW/AW gives me a little too much of a gap to my 56/60 and I noticed they sorta recommended me going to a 54/58 setup myself.

Once again, not really vouching for it nor the completeness of it, but it's a tool you can try.

Is there a rule of thumb to what difference in yards 1 degree will make? I hit my GW 85-90 yards. Could I expect another 5-10 yards? Or is it more like a trial by error process?

A good club builder in your area would be able to give you a rule of thumb answer on how much distance difference you can expect from a 1 degree change in loft. I'd call Titleist customer service and ask for a rep that has good knowledge on the Vokey line.

I don't know if this helps, but I was looking at the Cleveland web page and they have a pretty basic wedge fitting thing there.

Hey thanks! They recommended I go to 50/54/58 which was one my original solutions.

Okay JB, now name me as a winner in the Spinner contest so I can get a new 50° GW and put that shaft on it! :D

I use longer irons as well and encountered this same problem. I lengthened each wedge by the same amount as my irons (in this case 0.5") and it helped quite a bit. You will hit them further and even more importantly (if the +1" is indeed an accurate fitting) you will stop digging the toe of the club into the ground.

If you need longer clubs then you need longer clubs, don't alter your setup and start bad habits when its an easy fix.

With an extra 1" you will reduce that 20-25 gap to a size that one would expect from a 5 degree separation - 10-15 yards.

If you need longer clubs then you need longer clubs, don't alter your setup and start bad habits when its an easy fix.

With an extra 1" you will reduce that 20-25 gap to a size that one would expect from a 5 degree separation - 10-15 yards.

bgoody, thanks for your feedback and recommendation. I've settled on lengthening my wedges. Will be six months or so before I'll be able to report back on the outcome.

Back