GEt the sand outta there

jnug

Reaction score
I often see threads asking folks that have forged irons or wedges how hard they are to care for or what kinds of things will damage them. I had a terrible round today and ended up in all sorts of places I normally do not have to play from very often but was later reminded of the number of times people ask about forged clubs.

If you are new to them I can tell you that the one thing you want to get cleaned out of your forged wedges or irons right away is sand. The sand really packs into the grooves and holds tremendous amounts of moisture right up against the surface of the clubface. While it is not at all uncommon for people to clean their clubs every other round or something like that, sand is something you want to get out of the clubface that very evening. The fact that sand is coarse and holds moisture is a baddddddd combination.

I play forged irons and hardly ever clean them except at the end of the golf season or when I'm bored.I will clean the grooves before a shot with a tee but that's about it.I haven't noticed anything wrong with them yet.Then again I'm not entering them in a beauty contest and unlike some I really don't care what they look like as long as they perform.,

Hmmm,, not sure how to respond here. I clean mine a ton, pretty much every day during the season, but sand gets knocked/cleaned out immediatly. It's pretty much gone before I put the head cover back on after the shot.

I seem to remember seeing some photos over at that other “popular” golf forum (the one we probably would not spend much time at). These were photos of forged irons that had some really ugly rust and corrosion going on. I happen to keep my clubs pretty clean. That said, dirt is OK by me. Marred club faces from ball and turf contact is OK. However rust and corrosion looks pretty bad. For the most part the culprit that is sighted is very often sand. If I have a day that includes an unusually high number of visits to the beach and if the sand is a bit damp or is actually wet, I am reminded of those photos when I see how the wet sand stubbornly clings to the surface of the club capturing moisture and holding it against the club. If the sand is at all wet you really have to work at it a bit to really get it off the club. I have never been able to really get all of that sort of sand off the club face while out on the course as I just don't have the time to really do the job right.If the sand it dry it is much easier to get it off the club out on the course although again, you likely will not get it all off and if the same club runs into some moisture later on, you end up with the same problem as if you had landed in damp sand in the first place.

I am like you due or I do what you do due (Geez I better stop). I clean mine every night. If you don't do what due and I do you will likely end up in deep do do. (OK I will stop now).

Some clubs are meant to rust. I had some mizuno wedges that were supposed to rust over. Maybe they were pics of that. Nonetheless, I wipe my clubs after hitting out of sand.

They were actually photos of irons. I have Mizuno black coated wedges and it is the wedges that Mizuno makes in various surface options like black that are eventually meant to oxidize as the black wears away. As the coating wears you can see that there is some surface oxidation that is starting to show. This is regardless of cleaning right after every use. This actually does look pretty good and I think the eventual effect will be something like the patina that you would see develop on copper. It won't look like a patina but the effect will be similar. I suspect that if you have them long enough and care for them the surface appearance that will develop on the Mizuno wedges will look better than the black coated surface when new. However rust and corrosion right in the middle of a typical iron club face just looks ugly. There is no other way to discribe it.

man i cant stand seeing dirty clubs haha. Most of my buddies dont ever clean their clubs. granted they have gamed them for 10+ years and they usually shoot better than me, so who am i to judge. But I bring a wet towel with me to hole #1 - and clean each club off as i hit it. After the round, sometimes the next morning- ill fill a bucket with soapy warm water and give them a good scrubbing with a stiff dish brush. But thats just me.

I seem to remember seeing some photos over at that other “popular” golf forum (the one we probably would not spend much time at). These were photos of forged irons that had some really ugly rust and corrosion going on. I happen to keep my clubs pretty clean. That said, dirt is OK by me. Marred club faces from ball and turf contact is OK. However rust and corrosion looks pretty bad. For the most part the culprit that is sighted is very often sand. If I have a day that includes an unusually high number of visits to the beach and if the sand is a bit damp or is actually wet, I am reminded of those photos when I see how the wet sand stubbornly clings to the surface of the club capturing moisture and holding it against the club. If the sand is at all wet you really have to work at it a bit to really get it off the club. I have never been able to really get all of that sort of sand off the club face while out on the course as I just don't have the time to really do the job right.If the sand it dry it is much easier to get it off the club out on the course although again, you likely will not get it all off and if the same club runs into some moisture later on, you end up with the same problem as if you had landed in damp sand in the first place.

I am like you due or I do what you do due (Geez I better stop). I clean mine every night. If you don't do what due and I do you will likely end up in deep do do. (OK I will stop now).

Now that cracked me up, haha

OK...after reading all this I went and cleaned my clubs

I often see threads asking folks that have forged irons or wedges how hard they are to care for or what kinds of things will damage them. I had a terrible round today and ended up in all sorts of places I normally do not have to play from very often but was later reminded of the number of times people ask about forged clubs.

If you are new to them I can tell you that the one thing you want to get cleaned out of your forged wedges or irons right away is sand. The sand really packs into the grooves and holds tremendous amounts of moisture right up against the surface of the clubface. While it is not at all uncommon for people to clean their clubs every other round or something like that, sand is something you want to get out of the clubface that very evening. The fact that sand is coarse and holds moisture is a baddddddd combination.

I clean the debris out of the grooves after every shot. I never allow anything to build up on the face or in the grooves... it doesn't just have to be sand. That has been a habit for me for more than 20 years, ever since I started to take the game as more than just an occasional pastime. It takes very little time to do it and I will either clean them immediately after my shot while one of my companions is playing, or do it after I move up to the next shot. I don't make the people behind me wait while I clean them, but I do it as soon as possible.

I clean my clubs after every shot and sometimes before a shot if I missed something before it went back in the bag.
That's what I have the brush on the bag and the THP wonder towel !

Back