Your favorite grips

• Cord

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Non-Cord

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 28 29.8%

• Total voters
I have Black Widows on my irons and love the feel.

That is the first comment I have seen on the Black Widows. They just started appearing around here pretty recently and I have been wondering if people who have them have ended up liking them.

I have the GP MC Decades on the clubs that I have had re-gripped. I have to say that I am a little disappointed in them. They seem to have lost their tackiness sooner than I thought the would....way less than a season and I did not think they had a particularly tough season this year. They have not been caught out in the weather much and I have not had many super humid, sweating bullets days either. While I did not overdo cleaning them nor use anything harsh on them I did care for them. All by way of saying I did not let them just sit and take abuse. I hate to think how they would have done in a really tough season.

One-T, those Lampkins look great. Enjoy those and if you can remember to do so I would sure like to know what you think of them.

That is the first comment I have seen on the Black Widows. They just started appearing around here pretty recently and I have been wondering if people who have them have ended up liking them.

I have the GP MC Decades on the clubs that I have had re-gripped. I have to say that I am a little disappointed in them. They seem to have lost their tackiness sooner than I thought the would....way less than a season and I did not think they had a particularly tough season this year. They have not been caught out in the weather much and I have not had many super humid, sweating bullets days either. While I did not overdo cleaning them nor use anything harsh on them I did care for them. All by way of saying I did not let them just sit and take abuse. I hate to think how they would have done in a really tough season.

One-T, those Lampkins look great. Enjoy those and if you can remember to do so I would sure like to know what you think of them.

There is a thread on them as well as a review on the home page.

Last edited:
Golf pride new decade multicompound.

Golf Pride New Decades on my irons
Winn PCI TL on my woods

But this upcoming season I'm thinking of switching to Black Widow grips, they have one model that has the same concept as the New Decades,,, and they look badass;

41.png

My sq tour bag is black with yellow trim and swoosh, so all of my grips have some kind of yellow, my irons are gripped with the dd2's. Wedges with gp new decade, black and yellow. My driver has a lamkin white tour something or other, need to go look at it, worth noting, it looks sick with my 9064ls with the black rip shaft. I am really loving that grip.

I switched from lamkin cords to tour velvets and they were almost spongy in comparison. I hated it at first, but now its indifferent.

Lamkin torsion control
or
GP tour velvets
Star sidewinders
Lamkin crosslines
and black will do nicely

been between lamkin crossline cords and golf pride tour velvet cords for years now. though i like the GP feel more, the lamkins are more durable in my opinion (i have the sweatiest hands in the business)

I switched from lamkin cords to tour velvets and they were almost spongy in comparison. I hated it at first, but now its indifferent.

You like Velvets? I hate them, there so slick. I have one on my SW and my hand slips all the time about to get multi compounds for all my clubs.

I went to check the clubs I have that are gripped with GP MC's again tonight to make sure I still had the same concern. I have not played the set that has those grips in a few weeks. I had posted earlier that they got slick on me a lot faster than I had expected. As you might have guessed it is the velvet lower section that has gotten kinda' slick. The cord upper seems fine for the most part. However that does impart something of a strange feel to the grip as I can easily feel the diff between the two and at least in my case I end up gripping to the part that seems more slick meaning that i cannot grip with one hand lightly and a bit tighter with the other hand.

When the MC's were new I could feel the diff in compound but the feel in grip was much more subtle. Now there is a very distinct difference in the grip between the two sections as well. To be honest it does make me wonder about this generation of multicompound grips at least as offered by CP. Lamkin has its 3gen thing and a version with different grip characteristics as well but I am not sure that blows my dress up either. I had high hopes for the whole MC approach but now am not sure the pitfalls can be overcome. The more I think about it the idea that the two different compounds will wear at the same rate or even close to the same rate seems not to make much sense to me and keeping my current MC experience in mind I think I might always be stuck with the same problem. I end up gripping both hands to the compound that has worn the most. To be honest as soon as i came to that conclusion I said to myself said I "no s*** Sherlock". What the hell did I expect?

I think I am going to go to full cords next time around, something like the GP V55's or maybe the Lamkin Crossline tour cord. I happen to have another set that is gripped in GP tour velvets and while I know I would wear through those pretty quickly in regular play they are brand new and the difference in how much grip pressure I have to exert with those has got me convinced that a. I have to regrip the clubs that have the MC's and b. I need something that will last me a bit longer than the MC's did. My hands have gotten pretty well "golf" worn and I don't think there is anything that the full cords can do to them that I have not already done.

I think I am going to grip my driver and woods in ribbed cords and keep my irons and wedges in cord rounds as I think I am ready to make the change to ribs for woods as well.

Meh, a grips a grip. I dont pay attention that much. If its not flying out of my hand its doing its job.
You like Velvets? I hate them, there so slick. I have one on my SW and my hand slips all the time about to get multi compounds for all my clubs.

Meh, a grips a grip. I dont pay attention that much. If its not flying out of my hand its doing its job.

You and I both know a grip is not just a grip or you wouldn't be getting the velvets. It's a feel thing for everyone and it almost slips out of my hand, idk why either. Jnug has me worried with him finding the MC's slick but then again he is the only person I have ever saw say they were slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the time i was broke and i could get them for super cheap, needed new grips. I found the MCs slick too.
You and I both know a grip is not just a grip or you wouldn't be getting the velvets. It's a feel thing for everyone and it almost slips out of my hand, idk why either. Jnug has me worried with him finding the MC's slick but then again he is the only person I have ever saw say they were slick.

Seriously dude, grips to me dont make that big of a difference. Neither does grip weight, putter head weight, face angles, bounce angles, lofts. To me, its all mumbo jumbo. I understand how they help people, and what it can do for them, but to me, its no different

At the time i was broke and i could get them for super cheap, needed new grips. I found the MCs slick too.

Seriously dude, grips to me dont make that big of a difference. Neither does grip weight, putter head weight, face angles, bounce angles, lofts. To me, its all mumbo jumbo. I understand how they help people, and what it can do for them, but to me, its no different

That's weird, I have a MC white/black here and don't find it to be slick at all. O well. Oh and about your mumbo jumbo talk, your crazy. lol

That's weird, I have a MC white/black here and don't find it to be slick at all. O well. Oh and about your mumbo jumbo talk, your crazy. lol

They arent slick, but they get slick fairly quickly IMO, my bad on the confusion

One thing I should offer is that I played a good bit with those MC grips over a pretty short period of time.....lots of rounds and lots of practice over a short period. That said what concerns me more is the difference between the two compounds and the fact that for the most part in my case I end up gripping both hands to the degree that is needed for the the compound that has worn the most, meaning the compound that is most slick.

I guess if I had to say this another way.....the cord section has worn just like I would expect a cord section to wear. That said the velvet section has worn just like I would expect it to wear and that is the rub (pardon the pun). I will wear through tour velvet pretty quickly and the bottom section of the MC's have been no different. They seem to start out with a bit more grip surface area than you get with a standard all tour velvet grip for example because of the design of the pattern on the velvet section of the MC but it wore for me just like I would expect any tour velvet grip to wear. Then as I said above I am sorta' stuck. I am going to try T's suggestion for the heck of it.

It is kind of interesting that Lamkin suggests pretty strongly that by moistening their grip or roughing them a bit you can get back the tackiness. I think Lamkin suggests it for every grip they make regardless of compound which is interesting on its own score. I don't wonder if GP would do well to do the same. Although marketing being what it is and Marketing Departments being what they are, that is probably not likely to happen even if it does make sense.

I don't want folks to think that I don't appreciate what GP has accomplished in the MC grips because I do think that they have accomplished quite a bit. Clearly they have developed that texture for the bottom half of the grip so that at least when new, the tactile feel of both halves are pretty darn close making it possible for the player to take a comfortable grip. In fact I don't wonder that if they released an all velvet grip that used that texture for the whole grip, they might have another new product that people would appreciate.

In addition, while we have spent a good deal of time talking about the durability and how long it takes before a grip get slick, there is more to the MC design than that. The primary reason that they have mated these compounds was to give the player the feel and vibration damping of velvet combined with the grip characteristics of cord. When new, in my opinion it seems they have hit their mark.

The price point is probably the thing we have not discussed that sort of pushes me over the edge on the GP MC grips. If they had them at just a small premium lets say over good tour cord for example well I think I could convince myself to nurse the velvet section along for a bit and then replace the grip about when I would replace a full cord grip. However at least where I bought mine and from what I have seen the premium is not insignificant. The GP MC grips are a good 20-30% more costly than a good tour cord and that makes them 40-50% more than a good tour velvet.

So it is the value proposition as much as anything in my case. If I re-grip per industry recommendations (and I do think it interesting that regardless of grip type the industry makes the same recommendation....every 50 rounds or so or at least once per year) that is quite a cost premium to pay.

I think that if they did have them priced at just a small premium over good tour cord they would get a good many players to switch to the MCs'.

despite liking some better than others I beleive this to be true

I dont understand how hard youre actually gripping the club to be honest to wear out the bottom section of the MC

I dont understand how hard youre actually gripping the club to be honest to wear out the bottom section of the MC

he may have LOOOOOONG hands

Ya I just noticed this myself. My right index finger, part of my middle finger and thumb are the only parts on the lower half of the grip of the MC which is the white part on the one I have laying around here. Not sure how that would wear out a grip that fast.

Not necessarily how many fingers are on it, but how hard it rubs during the swing. I mean I barely hold onto the club with the right hand.

Goodyear is actually making some good grips these days and they are cheap too. Corded and with some good rubber. I put one on a wedge for a test and its holding up very well. Scored a bunch online for just $2 each and am replacing all of my worn Winn and Tour Pride grips soon.

Back