Adams A7OS vs Adams A7OS MAX - Opinions sought

cypressc

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I went out to demo some Adams A7OS irons. I took out an 8 iron and a 5 hybrid on the range, and was absolutely shocked at how ridiculously easy it was to hit the ball straight, and my distance was up 1-2 club lengths over my normal shots. I guess there's something to be said for modern club technology. After hitting a bucket of spine-tingling gorgeous shots, I realized that they were actually the Adams A7OS "Max" set. Returning to the pro shop, I compared the Max version to the regular OS version, and didn't find a huge difference. Both sets are super-game-improvement. But the MAX set is a set of all-hybrids, with hybrid-like short/mid irons in addition to the 3,4,5 hybrids, where there "standard" OS set has cavity back short irons, hybrid-esque 6/7 iron, and standard long hybrids.

My question: Does anyone have any experience demoing both sets (I ran out of time and didn't get to compare)? What should I be looking for in trying to make a decision?

Background: I've played golf 5-6 times a year for the past 25 years. I've finally had the chance to join a club and get a handicap and want to improve my game. My irons are circa-1990 Ping-knockoff cavity backs. They're rather heavy, plus I could probably use some upgraded technology. I'm not a bad ball striker, and I don't have a problem getting the ball in the air and my distance is fine.. but my good shots rarely come in a row (except on the range), I'm not a great putter on the fast greens of my new club, so my club handicap is at 30 (with about 10 strokes per round of penalties for out-of-bounds shots on a rather unforgiving, narrow course with slope 136.). This will be my first full season where I expect to get in 40-60 rounds.

Does anyone know how the hybrid short-irons perform vs. deep cavity super-game-improvement short irons? Or are they really hybrids at all? (they kinda look like cavity backs with a plastic wall covering the cavity to give a hybrid-like appearance) Clearly at my handicap level, I probably need one of these two sets, but I'm wondering how much difference there really is beyond appearance at address.

Any help appreciated.

For reference:

A7OSMAX:
Idea_a7OSmax%20transition%20callout.jpg

A7OS:
Idea_a7OS%20transition2.jpg

Hi Cypressc,

My husband & I own a golf shop and we had both of these sets in the shop. From what I understand, while both are considered super game improvement irons, the A7OS Max is little more chunky and more forgiving versus the A7OS. The 5 hybrid should be the same in both sets - it's, as you noted, the irons/hybrids that make a difference. This might be a dumb questions - can you get out to demo the A7OS too or is that opportunity gone? For me, it usually comes down to looking at a launch monitor or a side by side comparison on the range if I'm just buying off the rack. Also, probably either way if you're upgrading from some old equipment, you'll be happy with your purchase and both of these sets are great sets.

I play a hybrid iron set (Cleveland's women's set) and LOVE them. I tried other sets (including deep cavity backed clubs) but felt like the heavier weight of the head of the chunkier club made it almost swing itself. They are super forgiving and I find I get more distance out of it versus my last set.

Good luck - hopefully someone who games these clubs weighs in on this question.

-Patty

I play the Cleveland LXi irons which are probably closer to the A7Max. I also have the Mizuno MX950's which are set up more like the A7's, with 8-PW cavity backs. I love all the LXi's EXCEPT the 9 and PW, which I find a bit too chunky for anything other than an easy shot from the fairway (or the range).

If it were me, and assuming the 3-6 are the same for both the A7Max and A7 I would go for the A7 set and get the cavity backed short irons. The short irons are pretty easy to hit (just as easy as the hybrids I think) and with the CB design you will get more and better use out of them in a variety of conditions. Maybe you can even work a deal to get the 3-6 Max hybrids and the 7-PW from the A7's. That would be ideal.

I tried the A7OS hybrid and the short irons and really liked them. They were both very easy to hit and the feel in the short irons were pretty decent. I would think as you improve, you would appreciate the short irons in the A70S as opposed to the hybrid-irons in the Max set.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Still torn on which set to get. Demoing them both, they both get good results. Both the 9 irons seem a little clunky around the greens, so I'll probably pick up a gap wedge from another brand to make these shots up.

I feel a little silly going for the all-hybrid set, but then again I also believe that in a few years more and more companies will be releasing all-hybrid irons. Just look at the fancy new V3 Techs (also from Adams) - all hybrids.

Hi Cypressc,

My husband & I own a golf shop and we had both of these sets in the shop. From what I understand, while both are considered super game improvement irons, the A7OS Max is little more chunky and more forgiving versus the A7OS. The 5 hybrid should be the same in both sets - it's, as you noted, the irons/hybrids that make a difference. This might be a dumb questions - can you get out to demo the A7OS too or is that opportunity gone? For me, it usually comes down to looking at a launch monitor or a side by side comparison on the range if I'm just buying off the rack. Also, probably either way if you're upgrading from some old equipment, you'll be happy with your purchase and both of these sets are great sets.

I play a hybrid iron set (Cleveland's women's set) and LOVE them. I tried other sets (including deep cavity backed clubs) but felt like the heavier weight of the head of the chunkier club made it almost swing itself. They are super forgiving and I find I get more distance out of it versus my last set.

Good luck - hopefully someone who games these clubs weighs in on this question.

-Patty

Since you have them both in the shop - could you speak to the difference (if any) in offset between these club sets? I know both sets offer progressive offset, but is the offset more pronounced in the MAX set or the same? The more I look at the MAX short-iron hybrids, I'm not sure they're really very much difference thant the OS cavity backs, except they have a plastic cap over the cavity.

I have the A7OS irons and dont play them that much, opting more for my PING G15's. However, I just returned from business trip and took along the A7os to give them some course time. I had forgotten how easy they were to hit. I have been practicing with my Tour Striker and noticed even more distance with these clubs than the last time I played. I was hitting some great shots partly due to how easy it was swing the Adams. I think you should demo them both and decide, but for me the A7os will be seeing more bag time this year. I absolutely love these sticks. I would certainly recommend anyone in your position that is finding time to devote more time to golf to see if you can demo a set on the course.

Thanks all for the tips. I have yet to run into anyone that recommends I go for the OSMax set, so I'll have to try and get another demo in. I'm still torn -- the hybrid-style short irons are a tad ugly, but I also think in a few years we'll be seeing a lot more of these (see also: Adams' new V3 Tech all-hybrid set).

If anyone else games either set, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

I am contemplating buying also a set of Adams. However my choice will be the Adams A7OS Max and that only for the reason that the 6 is a hybrid. I was also looking at the complete set A7 which looks very attractive but the fact that 6 is an iron and NOT a hybrid made me choose for the A7OS Max.

Just remember. Clubs are tools not jewels. Nothing worse that playing with a high capper using gammers blades. I started playing last year using hand me down clubs. I was right at a 26 HCP. I put together a new bag "Taylormade Burner Plus irons" along with high launch HY and 3 wood. By the end of the season i went down to a 17 HCP. Im glad to see people man up on this fourm about there equipment choices. I would rather have a enjoyable day on the course than out of bounds looking good.

I'd appreciate hearing some opinions on choosing a hybrid iron set. My first golf goal since retiring is to break 100. I'm considering the Adams A7OS Max set vs the PING K15 iron/hybrid combo. I need all the help I can get. Which of those would you all choose? Thanks, Pat

I'd appreciate hearing some opinions on choosing a hybrid iron set. My first golf goal since retiring is to break 100. I'm considering the Adams A7OS Max set vs the PING K15 iron/hybrid combo. I need all the help I can get. Which of those would you all choose? Thanks, Pat

I know you didn't list them, but don't overlook the Diablo Edge set. I started out last year with this set and I think they are a great SGI set.

As far as the A7OS is concerned, I hit the 5H last week and it was the easiest to hit hybrid I have ever hit. I think one of these is going to make it into my bag....

Thanks, Doug. Well I split the baby. I bought the A7OS Max set and absolutely love the 7,8,9,PW, SW. I've never had such fun hits as I have already had with those. Shot 45 on the front 9 yesterday!! With my first birdie ever! But I am having real trouble hitting the 3,4,5,6 hybrids, even with a lesson specific to them. Too may tops, hooks, slices--just awful. Will take more lessons and listen to all good forum advice, but in the meantime have also ordered used Diablo Edge 5 and 6 irons with graphite shafts. By the way, I am also really liking the Bridgestone E6 yellow balls. What a huge difference from those available 25 years ago. Now if I just had the same joints, muscles, tendons I had 25 years ago. But you can't find em online. Pat

Back