Cobra emulates Taylormade again?

After seeing Cobra's tent and their indoor booth at the show, one thing has become clear to me:

They are targeting the younger percentage of golfer that typically was dominated by Taylormade. I dare say that Taylormade targets golfer between the ages of 18-40 and I think that Cobra is specifically focusing on the 18-25 year old that typically has been devout to Taylormade. They're doing a great job.

I would tend to agree with that. The only problem with targeting that 18-25 age group is usually that one has the least amount of money to spend. With Puma owning Cobra now I think you hit the nail on the head. I do like some of the stuff they have put out there this year.

I would tend to agree with that. The only problem with targeting that 18-25 age group is usually that one has the least amount of money to spend. With Puma owning Cobra now I think you hit the nail on the head. I do like some of the stuff they have put out there this year.

I do agree with you as well in that it's not a lucrative demo, but I'm assuming that there are tons of country club kids in that age group and they probably go head to toe in puma gear and now they may stack the bag full of Cobra gear.

Look at their recent signings: tons of young guns. It just all adds up.

They are targeting the younger percentage of golfer that typically was dominated by Taylormade. I dare say that Taylormade targets golfer between the ages of 18-40 and I think that Cobra is specifically focusing on the 18-25 year old that typically has been devout to Taylormade. They're doing a great job.

Yep- I agree with that completely.

I do agree with you as well in that it's not a lucrative demo, but I'm assuming that there are tons of country club kids in that age group and they probably go head to toe in puma gear and now they may stack the bag full of Cobra gear.

Look at their recent signings: tons of young guns. It just all adds up.

I agree with you thats who there targeting and that they are doing a good job of it but I disagree that it is not a lucrative demo. The 18-30 year old demo is "THE DEMO" that companies are marketing too. Studies show that this demo has the most disposable income to spend and does spend it and the game in marketing right now is to appeal to that demo.

A quick general question to all that are saying Cobra is copying TM.

Let's say for argument company X next month reveals a brand new concept for the golf industry, say making the heads of a driver a perfect circle. How much time do other companies need to wait before they also introduce version of this new idea before it will not be deemed copying. Or are you saying that once one company has a new idea, no other company can create anything like that.

Let me state here, like TC I am not looking to light a fire, just looking for some insight from other forum members.

Let's say for argument company X next month reveals a brand new concept for the golf industry, say making the heads of a driver a perfect circle. How much time do other companies need to wait before they also introduce version of this new idea before it will not be deemed copying. Or are you saying that once one company has a new idea, no other company can create anything like that.

Let me state here, like TC I am not looking to light a fire, just looking for some insight from other forum members.

I would always deem it copying, but that is the name of the game in almost all industries, you seem someone with a very succesful product that is taking market share and you get in on the action. There is nothing wrong with that, it's business, I just don't like Cobra seems to have some blatant copies of successful TM products and are trying to claim they were already in the works. Don't piss on my head and try and tell me its raining.

I hear what youre saying and I understand your point. I think it depends on how unique and innovative the idea is being copied. Is it really just a natural proogression of technology or is it a truely innovative idea and something new? You have to admit the whole white idea was pretty unique and probably a huge gamble by TM. And that is where the diffrence is with Cobra, IMO. What gamble or truely unique idea have they come out with? The S3 irons are yellow? I guess thats innovative.

I do think that some companies bring something cutting edge so others put out their "version" of it.

I honestly don't know how long one must wait or whatever. Interesting question.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I hear what youre saying and I understand your point. I think it depends on how unique and innovative the idea is being copied. Is it really just a natural proogression of technology or is it a truely innovative idea and something new? You have to admit the whole white idea was pretty unique and probably a huge gamble by TM. And that is where the diffrence is with Cobra, IMO. What gamble or truely unique idea have they come out with? The S3 irons are yellow? I guess thats innovative.

I think what it might boil down to is like others have said. TM is the giant and Cobra is the smaller company. TM can afford and take te hit if the white driver concept had failed. A small company like Cobra can not. One or maybe two major mistakes by a smaller company would put them out of business. Does it make what they did right. That is not for me to decide. I think again they saw the white driver line comming, and took a shot with it.

Who cares, let everyone copy everyone. Thats what happens with putters? So just let it happen.

RedwoodAnserPutter.jpg

COPIES
ezone_tm-ghost-tpt

8881putter1.jpg

nike_method_putter_back.jpg

pic-bettinardi-bb8-putter.jpg

NC-Royal-Rear.jpg

IMO It is what it is, who really cares? If it really grinds someones gears than buy the originator and tell all your friends.

Last edited:
Check this ugly thing out! The original white Cobra driver. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-John-Daly-Ultramid-Lexan-Thermoplastic-Driver-1-/370365194056

I don't know who is copying who and I don't care. I will hit the equipment that works best for me and I can't wait to try them all at the THP outing.

Who cares, let everyone copy everyone. Thats what happens with putters? So just let it happen.

RedwoodAnserPutter.jpg

COPIES
ezone_tm-ghost-tpt

8881putter1.jpg

nike_method_putter_back.jpg

pic-bettinardi-bb8-putter.jpg

NC-Royal-Rear.jpg

IMO It is what it is, who really cares? If it really grinds someones gears than buy the originator and tell all your friends.

I was thinking that last week when this discussion was going on too!

Ps a little ironic that the one anser pic I showed got a silver medal in golf Digest? LOL. Most copied putter out there gets a silver medal haha

I agree with you thats who there targeting and that they are doing a good job of it but I disagree that it is not a lucrative demo. The 18-30 year old demo is "THE DEMO" that companies are marketing too. Studies show that this demo has the most disposable income to spend and does spend it and the game in marketing right now is to appeal to that demo.

exactly.

I don't get to worked up about it because all facets of business have those who innovate, and those who replicate. I think it's shady they've came out with a driver and a set of irons that imitate a successful TaylorMade product, but if I were cobra I would make absolute sure that my white driver out performs Tm's...if not they are set to fail.

I like the S3 white driver more than the R11. Just my opinion, no huge red triangle sticking out! :D

I'm still trying to get into the whole white golf club thing! I hope they don't start doing it to irons too!

I don't think TM has any claim on the color scheme for starters. Seems a couple companies beat them to white painted clubs. If there is some actual tech that Cobra copied it would be one thing. But painting something white is just painting something white. Or is the new term ghosting? Cool, now I got a ghosted ford pickup.

I think a company should custom paint your head to what ever color you want and hit you for a custom paint charge. Why not? We already do it with shafts. Everyone can pick the color that floats their boat and let their individuality shine through!

I think a company should custom paint your head to what ever color you want and hit you for a custom paint charge. Why not? We already do it with shafts. Everyone can pick the color that floats their boat and let their individuality shine through!

I've said this before and think it would be great. Pick your head colour, shaft colour and have an awesome custom club.

put a Big Wigz skin on it and change it all the time. I just ordered another one with clam on it.

Remember this..... could be lots of colours coming. If people pay for white, why not Orange, Blue or Purple?

Last edited by a moderator:
Imitation in the golf industry is certainly nothing new. When other companies pick up techniques and apply it to their stuff, it makes the whole offering more competitive and appealing to the golfer, which is a good thing.

Other examples of this in recent history: One company comes out with the square driver (I belive it was Nike) and it got some press and momentum, and then another big company magically comes out with the same technology (Callaway I believe). One company comes out with an adjustable clubhead (Again, I think Nike was the first), a second comes out with an adjustable clubhead with even more adjustablility (Taylormade). These are all good things in my book, for me, the one who buys the equipment and wants as many good options as possible.

I hope that other manufacturers do make white options if they look and work well. Heck, I hope we do start to see orange, green and red drivers too. Why not? It's all good.

I dont think nike was first on adjustability but I agree completely.
Imitation in the golf industry is certainly nothing new. When other companies pick up techniques and apply it to their stuff, it makes the whole offering more competitive and appealing to the golfer, which is a good thing.

Other examples of this in recent history: One company comes out with the square driver (I belive it was Nike) and it got some press and momentum, and then another big company magically comes out with the same technology (Callaway I believe). One company comes out with an adjustable clubhead (Again, I think Nike was the first), a second comes out with an adjustable clubhead with even more adjustablility (Taylormade). These are all good things in my book, for me, the one who buys the equipment and wants as many good options as possible.

I hope that other manufacturers do make white options if they look and work well. Heck, I hope we do start to see orange, green and red drivers too. Why not? It's all good.

Back