Thainer21 Swing Thread - Help

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Andy,

I was on the flightscope today at The Golf Lab I was wondering what you would do with these numbers. I know my smash factor is low, and my spin is very high. I usually come from the inside, which was an issue today, but I never really had a chance to warm up.

What should I do and where should I be with my clubhead speed?

I currently play the R9 Supertri 10.5 degree with a ProjectX 6.0 shaft. Im planning on getting a different head soon, and was recommended the Superdeep 9.5, but would you change the shaft as well?

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Spin rates were:
4200 on all of them except the one shown.

Last edited:
Lets talk about the numbers a little. Your smash factor is pretty good. Anything over a 1.3 in my eyes is above average and anything over 1.4 is outstanding. The launch angles on all but the first look pretty solid. I like that. The spin rate is killing you. For starters with your club head speed averaging 115.27 you should be playing a stiffer shaft. I would have you in an X flex. You also need to look into a shaft to help bring down the spin. You are looking for a high kick point and a stiff tip section. The Superdeep that you mention is a lower spin head and it comes stock with the Aldila RIP shaft which is a lower spin shaft as well. This is a much better fit than the current project x. I tried the project x in my 3 wood and had the same issues. I was hitting it with a ton of spin.

There are a number of options out there. The RIP, V2, Motore F1, VooDoo NV, Matrix HD6, Fubuki Alpha, Diamana Whiteboard, to name a few. I don't know that I would go with less loft as that is going to bring down the launch angle on you.

Do you have any specific recommendations on driver heads or a shaft? Or is the Superdeep/RIP combo the best in your eyes?
Lets talk about the numbers a little. Your smash factor is pretty good. Anything over a 1.3 in my eyes is above average and anything over 1.4 is outstanding. The launch angles on all but the first look pretty solid. I like that. The spin rate is killing you. For starters with your club head speed averaging 115.27 you should be playing a stiffer shaft. I would have you in an X flex. You also need to look into a shaft to help bring down the spin. You are looking for a high kick point and a stiff tip section. The Superdeep that you mention is a lower spin head and it comes stock with the Aldila RIP shaft which is a lower spin shaft as well. This is a much better fit than the current project x. I tried the project x in my 3 wood and had the same issues. I was hitting it with a ton of spin.

There are a number of options out there. The RIP, V2, Motore F1, VooDoo NV, Matrix HD6, Fubuki Alpha, Diamana Whiteboard, to name a few. I don't know that I would go with less loft as that is going to bring down the launch angle on you.

In my eyes one of the best drivers for high spin players in the Adams 9064LS. This is their low spin head (hence the LS) plus the stock shaft here is the RIP as well. This is a very hot face and a great combination. I had the chance to hit this combo at the range for our big demo day a couple of weeks ago. I currently play the Nike VR 8* with a Matrix HD6 x-flex. The Adams rep put this club in my hands after seeing me swing. I hit some of the biggest drives of my life with it. I think the worst on a track man was like 294. For me that is BIG. This is definitely a club worth checking out!

So X-Flex 9064 LS.

Any other specific recommendations for heads so I can look around?

There are not a ton of low launch heads out there. Adams offers a couple of lines. The Superdeep is one. The cleveland line is decent look at the 290 line.

There are not a ton of low launch heads out there. Adams offers a couple of lines. The Superdeep is one. The cleveland line is decent look at the 290 line.

Thanks a bundle. I will post video next time I get in the lab.

From the iPhone.

Hey andy,

Just wanted to ask you if Nike had an offering that might suit my needs? VR Tour? Machspeed Black Round?

Also just wanted to know about the

Callaway Octane Tour
Superfast TP
FT-9, or FT-Tour
any other suggestions aswell? Even older models? Im trying to put together a list for when I go in to hit them all.

Sheesh Thainer, I would give a kidney to have your worst numbers, let alone best!

The VR line from Nike is great. The stock shaft in the new Machspeed blacks is a Fubuki which will increase your launch and spin so you would have to reshaft. I love my VR. Stay away from the Octane, it is a higher launching head. If you are thinking callaway go with the FT9 FT tour. Both are great heads and the Zcom is a good shaft for you. If you are looking for older heads look for a TaylorMade R7 425 TP. This is a great head to keep launch and spin in check.

Love my vr tour , and in retrospect I wish I never would of got rid of my ft tour , it was a great club, but unfortunately the head was blamed for a poor shaft fit.

Love my vr tour , and in retrospect I wish I never would of got rid of my ft tour , it was a great club, but unfortunately the head was blamed for a poor shaft fit.

I rekindled my love for my FT Tour yesterday after not getting to play for a couple of months. It's a great head for me and although I tend to hook it on a bad day (probably more of a swing issue than a shaft issue), I think the stock VooDoo that comes in it works pretty well.

Sure enough, the ft tour yielded the best results. Had to go with the 9.5. Swing was running at 113ish, smash 1.4ish, and spin at 29-33. It's a recipe for around 296 carry. Thanks a ton Andy!

Easily the most controllable driver I have ever swung. I'm impressed allaway!

From the iPhone.

Sure enough, the ft tour yielded the best results. Had to go with the 9.5. Swing was running at 113ish, smash 1.4ish, and spin at 29-33. It's a recipe for around 296 carry. Thanks a ton Andy!

I may have to take some swing lessons from you with those numbers!

From the iPhone.

Great to hear it worked for you. When I was fitted my SS was from 112 to 117 and it was by far the best driver that I tried that day. Worked much better for me than the 909D2, FT-iz, G15, Machspeed, or any of the others that I tried. I'm anxious to try the Razr Hawk Tour. I liked the FT so much that if they created a similar driver that performs even better, I want it too.

Those are all really neat drivers. The 9064ls is fast becoming my driver for the coming season and the Superdeep is sort of my back up right now. I do think that when the season really does start the 9064 will be the driver in my bag.

Hello GolfTec fellows!

I was wondering if you had any recommendations or tips and drills to get this running a little more smoothly. I dont have any serious complaints, but I am always looking for a little more consistency.

I see that my backswing is a hair too long, and my shaft points across the targetline occasionally. Any other suggestions?

Back