Shafts for Irons....Looking at Project X

jraldridge2010

Reaction score
I currently Reside in East Tennessee, soon to be a
Handicap
Hey guys i am currently in the look for some new iron shafts. I swing MP 60 3-pw and have about 9 10 handicap. This year trying to push the limits to a scratch golfer, or as close to it as i can.

The project X shafts... 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 what the heck is the difference????

Investing in s0ome new shafts, will it really help my game???? And is it worth the money?

If anyone would recconmend anything other please feel free to post.

Anyone and everyone who has a reply please please post it. I love Input

Definitely go get fitted for the correct shaft for your swing it will help your game for sure.

The numbers in the PX are the shaft frequency/flex ratings. IE 5.0 is regular, 5.5 is stiff, 6.0 is X-stiff (I might have that wrong though. 5.5 could be firm instead of stiff)

If your current iron shafts don't fit you, then yes they would help a lot. If they do fit you, then reshafting your irons won't do sweet all.

I +a bazillion Thainer's suggestion to try and use the Mizuno optimizer. It really is a great tool for helping out in this regard.

i plan on doing it at dicks as soon as they get their launch montior back. I just enjoy trying new things and am always on ebay searching and buying good deals so i just had to ask. I hear alot good things about project x and just thought i would ask

I would head to a local golf store and try the mizuno shaft optimizer.
Agreed, simple yet effective way to get fit for the iron shaft. It will give you different shaft options as well.

Hey guys i am currently in the look for some new iron shafts. I swing MP 60 3-pw and have about 9 10 handicap. This year trying to push the limits to a scratch golfer, or as close to it as i can.

The project X shafts... 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 what the heck is the difference????

Investing in s0ome new shafts, will it really help my game???? And is it worth the money?

If anyone would recconmend anything other please feel free to post.

Anyone and everyone who has a reply please please post it. I love Input

The difference between 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 is the flex instead of using regular, stiff, and so forth. As for wondering if it will improve your game, there is absolutley the possibility that it will but its not for sure that it will. The best course of action would be to find a qualified club fitter that can examine the performance of your current shafts and make reccomendations for shafts that would optimize your game. No one can really tell you that this shaft or that shaft will be best for you because like most things in golf you'll be much more likely to get the best thing for you through a proffesional fitting.

if that doesnt work try kbs shafts, the guy who made project x left to make kbs shafts

What shafts are you using now?What are you trying to achieve with your new shafts?

What shafts are you using now?What are you trying to achieve with your new shafts?

i am just using the stock shafts, and i just feel like they don't fit me very well anymore. I"m trying to take my game to the next level, and i guess going to get fitted is the answer....i was just seeing what everyone thought of the actual brand/shaft. Thanks for everything fellas

I would head to a local golf store and try the mizuno shaft optimizer.

That thing is awesome! I think everyone should try it just for fun, even if they are not looking for new shafts.

i am just using the stock shafts, and i just feel like they don't fit me very well anymore. I"m trying to take my game to the next level, and i guess going to get fitted is the answer....i was just seeing what everyone thought of the actual brand/shaft. Thanks for everything fellas

Boring hearing the same thing time and again...but definitely get fitted. I did so, and as much as the Project X is a great shaft, it just did not work for me at all. I ended up with a set of 'stock' shafted irons which fit my game much better. You may be surprised at the results. Taking a guess could hurt your game.

Don't do anything without using the Mizuno optimizer. It is a revelation. Amazing stuff. You may be in between flexes (like I am). In that case a 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 or any stiff, x-stiff of anything might be wrong. I have regular flex KBS Tour hard stepped one club (meaning the 9 iron shaft is in the 8 iron head, the 8 iron shaft is in the 7 iron head, etc.)

And I wouldn't trust a Dick's to fit me into shafts to save my life. They are not a golf store. They are an everything store and most of their golf employees are not exactly highly trained in golf fitting. Find a true golf store that does fitting. If you have GolfTEC nearby I'd go there first - but I wouldn't go anywhere that didn't have the Mizuno shaft optimizer.

Went and got put on a launch montior today. 90-92 mph club head speed on the irons. Stock shafts seem to do ok. My R9 shaft is a different story. Its a stiff with soft tip 52 gram shaft. Tried out Titleist 910 with 75 gram shaft, low mid launch angel, and reallllllly loved it.....

Went and got put on a launch montior today. 90-92 mph club head speed on the irons. Stock shafts seem to do ok. My R9 shaft is a different story. Its a stiff with soft tip 52 gram shaft. Tried out Titleist 910 with 75 gram shaft, low mid launch angel, and reallllllly loved it.....

Good for you man its amazing the difference that a shaft that fits your game can make.

Shaft weight can be huge. I can't hit anything lighter than 70g or I lose all feel and start doing crazy things and spray the ball everywhere. Give me a shaft heavier than 70g and I'm fine. Crazy. Glad your fitting worked out!

Back