World Handicap System - Coming Jan 2020

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
As of January 1, 2020 the USGA Handicap System will be replaced with the World Handicap System.

Thoughts?

WHS.jpg

WHS_#2.jpg

I don't see why max net double is a story. ESC already does a nice job maintaining the realities of a player.

The abnormal weather or course conditions one should be nice and weird. I just watched a video claiming things like rough depth and pin position could factor. Who is making these daily determinations? The course? The player?

How about weather. Who the heck is going to track all this?

Making the handicap system more complex is stupid.

I want to know who's making these idiotic decisions at the USGA :unsure:

I don't see why max net double is a story. ESC already does a nice job maintaining the realities of a player.
High handicappers are going to see a huge decrease in their handicap.

I think a 30+ is allowed a 10 ESC max per hole.

High handicappers are going to see a huge decrease in their handicap.

I think a 30+ is allowed a 10 ESC max per hole.
1570632766370.png

10-19- 9 on a par 3 stays a 7.
20-29- 9 on a par 3 becomes a 7 instead of an 8
30-39- 9 on a par 3 becomes a 7 instead of a 9.
40+ 9 on a par 3 becomes a 7 instead of a 10.

but, does that help them in any way?

and solo rounds still dont count...that's not good.

Should be 9, I think.

10-19 is 7
20-20 should be 8
30+ should be 9

I could be wrong, but I think that's the way it is.

It's basically the same as the current USGA/RCGA setup with the minor change of 8/20 instead of 10/20 & daily conditions being taken into account.

8/20 just really cements that it's a measure of potential. Good idea.

Daily conditions is a bad idea. There is no way the powers that be and the golf courses have the time, ability, or inclination to roll that out properly.

View attachment 8910685

10-19- 9 on a par 3 stays a 7.
20-29- 9 on a par 3 becomes a 7 instead of an 8
30-39- 9 on a par 3 becomes a 7 instead of a 9.
40+ 9 on a par 3 becomes a 7 instead of a 10.

but, does that help them in any way?
It’s max NET double bogey. So if I’m getting 2 pops on a par five I still mark a 9, not a 7.

Daily conditions is a bad idea. There is no way the powers that be and the golf courses have the time, ability, or inclination to roll that out properly.

They’re not actually doing any factoring though. All the system does is look at every score posted for that course that day, and if every score is high, everyone gets a little help, if every score is low, everyone loses a little.

So much for making things easier to understand.
Yeah. So now I have to figure out my playing handicap for a course every time I play, figure out my pops, and then start keeping score.

Yeah. So now I have to figure out my playing handicap for a course every time I play, figure out my pops, and then start keeping score.
Wooooof. When you put it that way it's so bad, and will just be misunderstood/misused/ignored by the masses.

Wooooof. When you put it that way it's so bad, and will just be misunderstood/misused/ignored by the masses.
Yep. I’m gonna go ahead and just keep playing like I do and post whatever comes out.

I just read the whole article at USGA. Firstly, just where were these 52,000 polled golfers from?
What they are saying is that its going to make golf more welcoming world wide and players of all levels can play anywhere more easily.

What/when/where in the world was any the different systems ever a deterrent to anyone playing golf in the first place? Or playing while vacationing/visiting elsewhere? Why do i or 99% of us need to ever worry about our play in other countries? I mean how often do most the people ever go and play elsewhere for any significant amount of time anyway? I mean is this for the 1% of us who actually travel the world playing golf? I really dont get the whole thing.

The video is a complete joke. It makes as though to imply as if no one can ever have any fun playing elsewhere unless there is one system. Why in the world would I care one bit that there are different systems in different places? How is this affecting 99% of players in a bad way or make the game less fun?

Honestly, just how many people among the masses of HC players actually go and play elsewhere on any constant and regular basis? Is it even 1%? it may even be less.

This whole thing just simply has nothing but forced down your throat diversity and political correctness written all over it as its only true intent. Because their reasoning in the article and in the video suggesting how much better the game will be just makes no sense at all. Its got no merit because over 99% of players dont care about other systems and never needed a world wide one in order to ever feel more welcome and ever start playing and enjoying the game in the first place.

Net double bogey as a limit? Are you serious? You know how many esc holes I have in my play at the 7? My cap would would lower by several strokes if i cant count that 7th stroke. Im already ignorinfg the 8,9th etc... on my blow up holes. Id probably move from a 16 to a 13 just on that alone as ive got esc holes in almost every round i play and even my better ones. Most you low cappers should be glad because higher cappers cant count more than double and will have lower caps. I already dont feel like my play reflects my cap and now my cap will be even further down and imo like a vanity cap.

Last edited:
They’re not actually doing any factoring though. All the system does is look at every score posted for that course that day, and if every score is high, everyone gets a little help, if every score is low, everyone loses a little.
At a daily fee course, who is going to make sure that everyone that plays on a given day turns in a score? At a private course, at least the ones I belonged to, they monitored the scores returned and anyone on the tee shot that day had to turn in a scorecard.

Every score "high" or "low" relative to what? At a private course the caliber of players on any given day is going to be far more stable day-to-day than the caliber of players that may show up and play on a daily fee course. Scores could be high on a given day just because there are more higher handicap players playing that day or vice versa.

Are golfers no longer going to be able to enter their own scores into the system? There is no separate computer set up at the daily fee course I belong to to enter scores and as Army Golf stated, how are courses going to allot resources to monitor and enter scores?

At a daily fee course, who is going to make sure that everyone that plays on a given day turns in a score? At a private course, at least the ones I belonged to, they monitored the scores returned and anyone on the tee shot that day had to turn in a scorecard.

Every score "high" or "low" relative to what? At a private course the caliber of players on any given day is going to be far more stable day-to-day than the caliber of players that may show up and play on a daily fee course. Scores could be high on a given day just because there are more higher handicap players playing that day or vice versa.

Are golfers no longer going to be able to enter their own scores into the system? There is no separate computer set up at the daily fee course I belong to to enter scores and as Army Golf stated, how are courses going to allot resources to monitor and enter scores?

The way I understand it is that all scores turned in will be included. High/low comparison will be to the slope I think.
For courses where no one turns in a score...who knows. It will definitely be more accurate for courses where more players turn in a score.

and just who is going to figure in all these things? The courses themselves? the local/regional golf association of which you cap is coming from?
many many courses are municipalities who already cant do things so correctly in the first place. And whether a muni or a private someone now has to look at all cards and make the determination. Who is paying for that persons time? And if its on the hands of any local/regional association are not most these folks volunteers anyway? So whos doing all this work? when and how?

I just read the whole article at USGA.

I agree with you. But it took you 5 paragraphs to say the same one sentence...;)

I still dont see why all this change just because the tiniest fraction of people who might be playing in other places regularly.

Back