What part of your game needs the most work?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mine is my short game. Too many times this year I have been greenside and not been able to get up and down.

Where do you want to get better?

Driver. All day. Driver.

Short game by a mile. Right now I’d rather be 150 out than 30.

Driving

Longterm, short game, esp putting, will be the crux for scoring. I don’t think I can ever put in too much work here.

Short term, I need more consistent ball striking. That part of the game is hopefully under improvement with the recent and ongoing swing rebuild.

Short game by a mile. Right now I’d rather be 150 out than 30.
Are you laying up to 30 yards out on 5s or just ending up there?

Longterm, short game, esp putting, will be the crux for scoring. I don’t think I can ever put in too much work here.

Short term, I need more consistent ball striking. That part of the game is hopefully under improvement with the recent and ongoing swing rebuild.
I hope your rebuild goes well! Remember it is a process. There will be ups and downs, keep plugging along.

Every part of my game needs a lot more work and it often seems like trying to hit a moving target as to what to work on. But one thing has always held true. Applying the bulk of any extra practice on the greens and out to about 50 yards is the most efficient for me to actually realize better scoring.

I have to say that it has to be my irons. I've gotten very tired of hitting a good drive to the middle of the fairway and then chunking the iron on the second shot.

Usually the tee box is the weakest part of my game. I’ve slowly improved but it’s still where the most work is needed.

Are you laying up to 30 yards out on 5s or just ending up there?

My short game is bad enough that when I actually remember to play smart I’ll lay up no closer than 100yds. But crap shots happen and I’ll find myself at those awkward half wedge yardages several times a round. I plan on working on it this winter.

My short game is bad enough that when I actually remember to play smart I’ll lay up no closer than 100yds. But crap shots happen and I’ll find myself at those awkward half wedge yardages several times a round. I plan on working on it this winter.

Those shots are going to happen from time to time. Commit to each shot and try and execute it. Good luck this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving..everything driving..

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Fairway woods for sure. I have great distance off the box but have to lay up on all par 5 to stay out of trouble.

Well, need an additional 50 yards on my driver, along with more consistency.
Need about 30 more yards from each of my hybrids.
Need about 15-20 more yards from all my irons.
Wedges and putter are OK.

I will say irons. I need to be able to put myself in better scoring positions. I need GIRs! Follow that up with putting having a tough time here lately.

My game from the time I take my clubs out the truck needs work. The thing is I realize that learning to play good golf is a long process and something I may never do but, I have learned how to play fun golf and think that is more important. I will continue with my lessons in the spring and hopefully continue to improve but if I don't... meh, I'll still have fun shooting 80s-90s.

This sums me up to a Tee.

(pun intended)

Me again! More ball striking consistency... Here's my driver face after a dozen balls. Notice that all but one (low and towards the heel) are in the center corridor of the face but I hit a few low and one high but quite a few in the center. The good news is, with the rebuild more upright swing and bigger, wider arc, I'm carrying these between 260-270, dead straight. I need to shrink the impact error in the vertical axis.

1ZXB1v8.jpg

Last edited:
Putting, definitely putting

The mental game, I need to accept I am old and play the game accordingly. (The right tee boxes) Unfortunately the years cannot be brought back with new gear, it's fun and it will keep happening but accepting it's not going to change much might free up the coconut

The last couple of months when I get a double or worse it's usually beccause of an errant drive, 3 putt, or I am in the sand. The putting and sand are fixable. After 26 years of golfing the errant driver seems to be here to stay.

Back