Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

Any Mavrik Pro hybrid pictures? I love the Apex hybrid and was hoping for something closer to that shape/size.

All of the pictures I've seen suggest the pro hybrids look a lot like the XHot Pros, something that I'd all but given up on seeing.

Not that I had any doubt, but I am extremely weak handed. Mavrik 3W on order, couldn't pass up the trade-in bonus, and the Aldila White is a shaft I have seen success with in the past.

Looking forward to getting it in, along with maybe something else in the Driver Department :p

this release is actually opposite. the standard and max mav hybrids are more apex-ish in their higher, boxier toe. the pro is more like a very small fairway, with a rounded profile.
Awesome!

I did hit the Mavrick today, I liked it very much.

Alright, I am going to just lead this review off with this...

View attachment 8922454

Just look at that smash factor. We're talking driver speed from a steel headed fairway wood!

I am finding myself having to pivot a bit on what I was initially planning on doing for the fairway wood write up. I didn’t get a chance to hit it during the fitting. I basically just picked the same version I had played in the past. During the event, I hit it once off the deck in crappy weather and a few times at the range. I knew it looked great just like every SZ 3 wood I have hit in the past. But, wasn’t really blown away at the time. When we got home from the trip and I could nothing more than just sit and stare at my new gear, I decided to pull the weights out. Never thought of checking before, but the heavy weight was forward. A position I rarely used in my SZ 3 woods in the past. So, I set the heavy weight in the back and just didn’t think of it much after that.

Fast forward a few weeks and I had some sim time booked to get my fix. Scratch the new club itch. Going through the bag hitting shots, loving what I was seeing from each club. Get to the 3 wood just out of the natural progression of things. Thinking nothing of it, I just take a swing. Crack. Wait a minute, what the hell was that? Take another swing. Crack. Holy crap, look at that thing go. Rinse and repeat over and over again. Watch the ball carry forever. Hmm. Maybe I underestimated this club at the time.

I know that they were able to further optimize the face of the fairway woods just like the rest of the Mavrik line. I know they said that they were able to raise the CT and achieve driver like speed off the face. But, I mean, it’s just a 3 wood and they have been maxed out for a while now right?

I hit the club on a few more occasions and saw the same results each time. This warranted a little further investigation on what numbers I am actually achieving with this club.

This past weekend, I was able to spend some time on Trackman with the new bag. By the time I got to the 3 wood I was absolutely wiped out. I had hit an insane amount of shots in a very short amount of time. Not expecting much out of myself, I set the ball down, take a mighty lash at it, and Crack! The ball is off. Same amazing performance.

Just looking at what I have been feeling validated on a legit device like Trackman tells me that this club is special. Looking at the data, vs. my old Epic Flash SZ 3 wood. A 3 wood that I felt was better than any 3 wood I had owned prior. I was seeing 3 mph more ball speed and 12 yards more carry. Not only that. But, the Mavrik is easier to hit for me. Don’t get me wrong, the EFSZ is no slouch. But, the numbers weren’t lying. The Mavrik SZ 3 wood is king of the hill for now. And, I don’t know when I will see another fairway outperform what I already had by such a margin.

Mavrik SZ 3 Wood
View attachment 8922455

Epic Flash SZ 3 Wood
View attachment 8922457

Fairway woods can be finicky business. It seems some players, myself included, often times have a hard time finding one that works well. And, when they do, they hang on to it for dear life. I can’t promise you that the Mavrik will be your unicorn 3 wood. Heck, I don’t know for 100% certainty that it’s mine yet. But, the signs are strong. I can’t wait to get this outside and hit it off of some real grass, try to bend it through some tight spots, try to play for position off the tee.

This could quite possibly be the super star of the Mavrik line. Once I got home with my new clubs, the fairway wood was honestly probably the last thing on my mind. Now, it’s almost all I can think about.

I will leave you with these. Such a good looking fairway wood.

View attachment 8922458

View attachment 8922459

View attachment 8922460
Is the face as deep as it looks? That looks perfect to my eye!

Is the face as deep as it looks? That looks perfect to my eye!
It appears to be very similar to the EFSZ face. Possibly a little shorter heel to toe though.

IMG_0788.JPG.jpg

I’m kinda bummed that there is no LH 3+, but I will be testing out the 3w at some point. These sound like a healthy upgrade from the EF line.

After reading your reviews on the fairway woods, are they "too long"?! (Insert joke here) Some of the launch monitor data is staggering!

Strong ponder right now for the Max as a tee only club.

GDaddy gang, did anyone get or get fit for a 4 wood? Just hit?

I like it when companies step a little outside the box and to me it looks like what Callaway did here - particularly with the Max. As someone who struggles off the deck, this looks pretty much ideal for me. Strong ponder, and the most I’ve been interested in a fwy in years.

I like it when companies step a little outside the box and to me it looks like what Callaway did here - particularly with the Max. As someone who struggles off the deck, this looks pretty much ideal for me. Strong ponder, and the most I’ve been interested in a fwy in years.

the max was specifically designed to help guys like me elevate a fw off the deck. a lot of companies try to achieve that with cg placement, which is great. but callaway took it a couple stops further, first with ai, then with the very aggressive leading edge that is designed to help the ball in the air. it absolutely works.

the 5w is so much damn fun.

mavrik max hybrid vs super hybrid...your take?

Bummer on the Fairway wood shaft lengths. Given I prefer a 5w to be around 41-41.5” a 42.75 (43” to end of the grip) 5w is a non starter for me. ☹️. Assuming they used really light heads ??

Otherwise I really like the sound of the Max FW having a larger head and sharper leader edge. Sounds very Ping SFT-ish which is my favorite fw of all time.

@McLovin You have the Mav Max 5 wood? What shaft? What was your driver swing speed? Thank you for tolerating the flood of questions.

Bummer on the Fairway wood shaft lengths. Given I prefer a 5w to be around 41-41.5” a 42.75 (43” to end of the grip) 5w is a non starter for me. ☹. Assuming they used really light heads ??

Otherwise I really like the sound of the Max FW having a larger head and sharper leader edge. Sounds very Ping SFT-ish which is my favorite fw of all time.
Can always add weight back to the heads. Those weight ports make it a breeze.

I promised some pictures of the pro hybrid. These aren't top notch pictures like @radiman, and the sole is a little dirty, but here you go:

IMG_20200114_182343.jpg
IMG_20200114_182300.jpg
IMG_20200114_182250.jpg
IMG_20200114_182242.jpgIMG_20200114_173639.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_173639.jpg
    IMG_20200114_173639.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 16
All of the pictures I've seen suggest the pro hybrids look a lot like the XHot Pros, something that I'd all but given up on seeing.
May or may not have been mentioned in the article too :p;)

Different animals.

As someone that didn't start striking my hybrid well until I got comfortable withy irons, I trying to decide if the SH is a hybrid I want to pursue or if the Cleveland/srixon hybrid is a better option... With the TE HL4 also garnering consideration...

As someone that didn't start striking my hybrid well until I got comfortable withy irons, I trying to decide if the SH is a hybrid I want to pursue or if the Cleveland/srixon hybrid is a better option... With the TE HL4 also garnering consideration...
Sooooooooo many good options, truly!

Is the face on the Max deeper than the others or is most of the extra cc come from it being longer front to back?

Back