Stan Utley - The Art of the Short Game

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+2,7
Has anyone else read this? Quite an interesting book about his philosophy regarding technique, shots etc. His ideas about bunker play, chipping technique and pitching were quite different from how I would play the shots. Straight alignment in the bunker, letting the ball roll and not rely on spin for pitch shots and so on. What I like about his philosophy is that it's all about keeping the shots simple. It doesn't have to be complicated.

I'll definitely give it a try when I can get out there and start prepping my short game for this season.

I use his putting book. Excellent stuff.

I use his putting book. Excellent stuff.

What's his putting philosophy like? Been thinking of looking it up, but I dunno how compatible it'll be with my belly putter.

He is to the gated putting stroke what Peltz is to SBST.

What's his putting philosophy like? Been thinking of looking it up, but I dunno how compatible it'll be with my belly putter.

He is to the gated putting stroke what Peltz is to SBST.

yup. the belly putter "could" work but it would be difficult.

Some poeple think he wants you to open and close the clubface. Its more of a steady shoulder turn around the spine. Since the club shaft isn't perfectly straight up and down and the club swings on a nonupright plane, the clubface appears to open then close.

A forward press is a big part of his (and Stockton's) approach to putting, so doubt it would work very well for you.

I read his short game book too and tried some of it and could see how it definitely works, but it just wasn't for me. I like using Phil's method in his DVD's.

I am currently reading his "The Art of Scoring" it is my 1st book by him.

A forward press is a big part of his (and Stockton's) approach to putting, so doubt it would work very well for you.

ROFL, that'd be a treat. My technique is the gated stroke though, that's what the belly putter does to you. At least that's what feels natural to me.

Back