More OEM foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Then you need to check out the Mavrik thread! BOMBS ?
TaylorMade has the same thing in the SIM lineup but they call it the Rocket 3W..... it’s 1 freaking degree of loft difference. What in the grand scheme of things does that really amount too?

Bring back Niblicks and Mashies. I’m also tired of not finding any Gutta Percha balls at my local Woolworth.

I am also beyond upset that Sears Roebuck won’t answer when I call the catalogue number to order a set of clubs with hickory shafts.

I am also beyond upset that Sears Roebuck won’t answer when I call the catalogue number to order a set of clubs with hickory shafts.
I think you're supposed to fill out the order form and mail it in. I am waiting until they run a promo to get a free mashie with a purchase of a niblick. :)

I think you're supposed to fill out the order form and mail it in. I am waiting until they run a promo to get a free mashie with a purchase of a niblick. :)
That reminds me, I need to hop in the model A and run to the post office, I'm out of 2 cent stamps!

image-asset.jpeg

You are not 100% accurate. Several manufacturers have adjustable loft woods that are designated 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc. I also think too much emphasis is placed on loft for numbering clubs. There is more tech involved then just loft with weight placement and such. In all honesty does it really make any difference whatsoever what number they put on the club? As a player you should know your distances with all your clubs regardless what number is on it or what loft it is.

I think it's pretty obvious that the number stamped on the sole of a club doesn't effect performance.
It should also be obvious that this isn't the point.

Doesn't anybody have any intellectual curiosity about why somebody makes a 15º 3-wood and then calls his 13.5º club a 3+ instead of a 2?

I was playing this game before many if not most of you were born, and a 2-wood was called a 2-wood.

I want to know the thinking behind the 3+ wood because from my perspective, it's pretty stupid.

I......

Nope. Not gonna do it.

I think it's pretty obvious that the number stamped on the sole of a club doesn't effect performance.

Doesn't anybody have any intellectual curiosity about why somebody makes a 15º 3-wood and then calls his 13.5º club a 3+ instead of a 2?

I was playing this game before many if not most of you were born, and a 2-wood was called a 2-wood.

I want to know the thinking behind the 3+ wood because from my perspective, it's pretty stupid.
Nevermind. I’m in.

BECAUSE THEY WANT TO CALL IT THAT!

Also, fact, 3w is one of the hardest to hit clubs in the bag for most, particularly mentally, and calling I a 2w wiuld

Again they can make the fairway woods say Long Longer and Longest. They can call them a 2.75 wood. Or a 3.5 wood. Or whatever the heck they want. The simple truth is it doesn’t make a bit of difference what they write on a club. Know your numbers and quit looking at the writing on the dang thing. You will enjoy the game a heck of a lot more if you aren’t complaining about how an OEM marks their club and just play.

Maybe you will like what cobra has done historically then?? They have a 3-4 wood, a 5-6 wood, and a 7-8 wood to account for the adjustability. That way you can set it up as either depending on your gapping needs. Screenshot_20200205-094143_Chrome.jpg

Well, Jman,
people who hit a 13.5 from the fairway wouldn't be afraid of the "2" designation,
and people who use the 13.5 as a mini-driver would probably rather see a 2 than a 3+ on the sole.

I blame our inadequate public education.
This younger generation has never been challenged to think and question things.
They shrug their shoulders and say, "What difference does it make?"

Seriously, it's probably more related to the intent and head size more than the loft. Why isn't a 12 degree driver called a 2 wood?

It all boils down to no one honestly being all that concerned about it but you. It's the way it's been for as long as I can remember. And being a few years removed from 40, it's not like I haven't been around the game for long. It's not like the OEM's are being deceptive here.

You say it's foolish of the OEM to label it that way. I say it's foolish to let it bother you. Life is too short to be so concerned about the number stamped on the bottom of a golf club. Buy a 3+, put some tape over the number and write a 2 on it.

Well, Jman,
people who hit a 13.5 from the fairway wouldn't be afraid of the "2" designation,
and people who use the 13.5 as a mini-driver would probably rather see a 2 than a 3+ on the sole.

Based on........

Well, Jman,

They shrug their shoulders and say, "What difference does it make?"
Lmao.

Well, as an actual PUBLIC EDUCATOR, I can assure you, it’s not the schools, it’s the crazy ass parents. Fact.

For the club talk, the brain is powerful, and a positive or negative connotation about a club can make all the difference in the world. But, don’t take my word for it, I’m also just a high school golf coach who works with kids who struggle with just that on a daily basis. :unsure:

Well, Jman,

Now that last bit got a good chuckle out of me. The “younger generation” is generally ridiculed for questioning too many things instead of just accepting “that’s just the way things are,” which was for decades the justification for a lot of messed up stuff. Maybe the “younger generation” just has bigger things to worry about than the stated number on a fairway wood?

I also use a mini driver, and sure as hell don’t want or need to see a 2 on the side of it....

Based on........

Based on the posts on this forum (among a million other things off the forum).
I couldn't even count how many "What difference does it make?" responses I've seen here.

People with intellectual curiosity want to know why.

It’s more of a mental thing for players. Nobody can hit a 1 iron so a 2 wood might seem just as difficult.

It’s more of a mental thing for players. Nobody can hit a 1 iron so a 2 wood might seem just as difficult.
Easy Marc, I was just told that notion was wrong. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back