Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

@JB

Why is a putter, driver, fairway, hybrid cover acceptable?

Because who likes to look down at all of these chips and scrapes? Besides, I might sell those. And my irons do not get that many dings. When you look down at it, even used irons, they still look good. I've had 919F for 1.5 years and they still look great. Must be the boron.

Last edited:
My home course is pretty quiet, and short enough that most folks walk. The relatively smaller course footprint also means that you can hear bag chatter 2 fairways over.

I appreciate the folks who cover their irons, just as I appreciate those who don't hang bluetooth speakers on their bag, neighbors who don't have noisy dogs, and people who don't use speakerphone in public spaces. I also think it's cool when folks chew with their mouth closed and don't fart in elevators.

I hate the look, but I think it's actually much cooler than your custom seasonal-themed SC putter covers. ;)

I will raise my hand and say I bought some soft iron covers for my new epic forged irons... my og epics got beat to hades and given the cost of investment I really felt like I needed to protect the irons

Tldr: the cost of irons increasingly justifies looking like an old man imo

I use them when I travel. Have you seen the way the baggage people throw things? Irons are very expensive these days and are worth protecting a bit.

They’re ugly and cumbersome. They save your clubs from a few nicks here and there, but they’re a hard pass for me.

I don't know. If someone wants to use iron head covers, put their name on their bag, dress like a "poseur", who cares? It's their money, and it doesn't affect your bank balance, so I say leave them alone and let them enjoy the game as they see fit.

I wanna give a thumbs up for this picture, it looks like they are different head covers for different clubs.

thumbs up for iron head covers, but a BIG thumbs down for different sets of head covers on different irons.

I don't understand why these are shunned the way they are. I use an easy to remove (but quality) iron headcovers for a few reasons. I hate bag chatter for one. But two, I hate all the dents and dings that is caused by bag chatter.

I gamed a set of Callaway forged irons from 2007 to 2016 that aside from the face and sole, looked as new as the day I bought them. They traveled the world with me and easily surpassed 300 rounds (probably closer to 500 rounds). My JPX-900 Tour Forged irons now are the same, zero dents/dings anywhere not impacted by the ground or ball. Original paint fill and all still there.

People put a head cover on their driver, FW woods, hybrids, and even putter, but say 'screw that' to the irons??? Why??

If you're spending $$$ on clubs, why not take care of them??!!

I totally agree. I got custom fit into a set of Apex CF 19 and after seeing how banged up my previous forged clubs got, I got covers. I love how quiet my clubs are when I carry. Club head covers stay on for the time being.

I dont use them, and genuinely dont really like them, but I think that way about stupid Pom Pom covers.
Totally agree here.

They’re easy to poke fun at. I like them on other people’s bags for that reason alone.

Also the pompom covers look like a jacked up sock covering your hybrid. Don’t @ me.

I use them for travel, but that's it.

That being said, I don't care as long as it doesn't slow play down, I don't care.

My first nice set of irons came with head covers. They had a lot high impact plastic as part of the club head. The covers were there to protect the the plastic parts. I used them until the velcrow tightners wore out. I never replaced them. Also, I never heard any poor remarks from other golfers.

I know that the first few times I left the iron covers off, the noise the irons made clanking against each other, was a little annoying.

I have no issues with golfers who prefer to use iron covers. Tools last longer when cared for properly.

I read on another forum that using iron covers added another 10-15 minutes to a golfer's round due removing them, and putting them back on before, and after each shot. I thought that was a some what entertaining remark relating to slow play.

I don't use iron covers now. I just keep my metal woods, and putter heads protected. In fact, my metal wood covers actually help protect the iron heads, due to being oversized.

To each his own.

They are only Polarized by my sunglasses :drinks:

Most hate them. Some insist on using them. Why?

Why what? We use them to protect our irons. They hate them because they need something to hate.

I paid $239 for my current irons several years ago. No iron covers used. They’re beat up a bit even though I try to take care of my stuff.

If I pay $1,300 for irons, I’m getting iron covers. I’ll take care of them.

If I ever get some club or clubs from THP I’ll be using covers. I’ll take care of my stuff.

Most hate them. Some insist on using them. Why?

Irons strike the ground with impact so there is no good sense reason for iron covers.

To my knowledge, here are the most polarizing things in the world:

1. Donald Trump
2. Religion
3. Iron covers

Why? I really don’t know.

I know I'm in the minority, but I pay good money for my clubs and I want them to stay as nice as possible for as long as possible.

Just like keeping them clean. I clean them after every shot. I like to see nice clubs on the ground when in use.

+1 for Iron Covers!!!
I use em. Soft covers. Yeah they are kind of a pain at times but I’m trying to keep my irons looking nice.

I have used covers for as long as i can remember. I like keeping these expensive clubs as pristine as I possibly can.

I already know you are a hipster....And this will be the last round with the clubs in there.
Here is what I envision. You using a Sunday bag, and riding this, because a regular bag and a cart is too “normal”

It looks like Mike Wolfe from American Pickers. ?

Iron covers is something I never have used in the past and don't anticipate doing so in the future. :unsure:

Its much like how hating on the Toyota Prius was a thing at one point in time. People started hating on them and then mob mentality took over. I personally hate iron covers and think theyre stupid but if someone wants to use them, what do I care?

You guys have motivated me to get a new set of clubgloves. :)

I don't know any nerds so I have never seen someone use them but I imagine people hate them for pace of play. When the pace is slow every wasted second annoys people so pulling off iron covers could definitely be annoying.
that's total BS, you folks dicking around reading putts or or whatever you do to slow everyone down take way more time. It is a non issue and just a patented b*tch from people who don't know any better.

Back