Are the WGC Events Losing Luster?

Hahah. And the only event that has PGA Professionals. History going back to 1916.
The history of the event is quite fantastic actually.

FWIW, you may want to check out this thread, multi quoting works great on THP.

Actually the PGA Professionals Championship has PGA professionals. That twenty of them also play in the PGA Championship isn’t anything that makes it so important.
Thanks for the tip.

I disagree with the bold as the Tour has nothing to do with the PGA Championship. It is put on by the PGA of America which is totally different than the PGA Tour.
Which is why I used a lower case t. I said earlier it is a glorified tour event not run by the Tour.

You read in some media publication or heard on some media broadcast what were the “majors”. That is how you figured it out.

What makes you think you know anything about me? You assume many things of which you have no clue.

In my opinion, WGC lost its luster when they moved from Doral to Mexico. This weekend used to have everyone in the top 50 year after year and was one of the best non-major events of the year.

I think as the schedule has become more compressed and guys are looking for times to sit out, the WGC have sort of faded to the wayside.

Personally, I just love watching golf so I still watch them.

This is probably a localised issue for Australia (maybe?), but the WGC events now actually rate less general interest than normal PGA events. If you asked the average weekend golfer how the US golf is going this morning, they will probably reply that it is good that Cam Percy and Rhein Gibson are near top-10 in Puerto Rico and make no mention of Mexico at all. If you read the major Australian sporting web-sites, there is no mention at all of the WGC.

Reason - we no longer even get television coverage of the WGC events here, but can still watch the alternate PGA event quite happily.

It's not must watch for me but I will be watching with it still being winter in Minnesota.

I enjoy them slightly more than a regular tournament.

The WGC was introduced as a way to develop an audience with high global awareness by having the leaders from all of the different tours together for more than the majors. They offer big prize money and at a time were considered one step below the big 4 or 5 (Players). Over the last year or so, it appears as though to the players they mean a little less going from can't miss event to a regular week.

What about you, does the WGC still bring must watch TV or caring?

WGC Mexico Championship
WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
WGC Fedex St Jude Invitational
WGC HSBC Champions

For my viewing the WGC events are a regular Tour stop, which is great but nowhere near a Major.

I’ve been enjoying this tournament.

WGC = regular tour stop now. It sucks since I like the Dell match play but the other events are just meh. Limited field is cool, but besides seeing the barn rat and some euro guys it didn't seem any different than a regular weekend. The match play being a different format broke things up. But this weekend in Mexico is just a regular event to me. The same names that are normally at the top of the leaderboards are also at the top of the leaderboard here.

I guess if they wanted to make it more of a world event limit number of people per tour that can attend. Include more pga south America and pga Japan or hell even some Mackenzie, challenge, and whatever the Korn ferry tour thing is. I like seeing all the big names, but it really doesn't feel special anymore.

The WGC events lost all credibility hen they all moved to USA. Then they just became another PGA Tour event, with a smaller field. The problem is if they became proper WGC events and moved around the world , the PGA Tour would spit their dummy and a larger number of USA pros would skip the event because of travel.

Ditch them.

The WGC events lost all credibility hen they all moved to USA. Then they just became another PGA Tour event, with a smaller field. The problem is if they became proper WGC events and moved around the world , the PGA Tour would spit their dummy and a larger number of USA pros would skip the event because of travel.

Ditch them.
If you don’t have the US stars playing, and the event is not in US time zones, the numbers of people watching go down and thus sponsorship money dwindles, thus why bother at all.

The WGC was the first attempt to undercut the PGA Tour......Greg Norman etal...fast forward to Premier League with Greg Norman etal….same outcome gonna happen. A few events not a League. PGA Tour will muster up all resources to stave off the assault....meantime WGC, it's just another event. I don't distinguish them as different or better...just another week of golf without it being a Major.

IMO, its because theres no prestige and winning them doesnt really matter. A WGC event will never have the prestige of a major and while the money is great, most of the top pros already have plenty of money.
I enjoy the WGC events because it reminds people that the Euro Tour is just as good, if not better than the PGA Tour is but other than that, who really cares?

The PGA Tour needs to show the rest of the world a little more respect. Yes ,they've shown the world how a tour should be run but if they continue to suck players away from their home tours, there is a danger that the game will suffer. Westwood, Kaymer and McIroy all hit world no 1 when not members of the Pga Tour. Since then, they have flexed the rules but still do nothing to help the world game outside USA.

The PGA Tour needs to show the rest of the world a little more respect. Yes ,they've shown the world how a tour should be run but if they continue to suck players away from their home tours, there is a danger that the game will suffer. Westwood, Kaymer and McIroy all hit world no 1 when not members of the Pga Tour. Since then, they have flexed the rules but still do nothing to help the world game outside USA.
What do you want the PGA Tour to do? Tell the worlds best players not to play?

They seem to only generate buzz if tiger is there. Just the way it is.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Back