Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

I think it all depends on how you get around the course you play the most on. Would you be in a better position if you had a 3h for a few tee shots? Or, would a 4h come in handy more often? Would the 5h come into play more?

Tee shots are what I use hybrids for more than anything, especially the "power" hybrid LIke 4-5 times a round off the tee. Either 18* or 20* would probably fit the bill, as the 20* is equivalent in perforamnce to the 19* Srixon H85 I play now. The 18* is tempting for the extra firepower as a tee club - might even be too long though as it creeps up on the FW.

The 23* is more for long second shots, but truthfully the 4 spot in the bag is one that doesn't get used much.

I am going with 3h, 5h. I hit it on the simulator and that's just not enough gap between 4h and 5h. For my speed, when I get to the long club, it's just not enough separation.

INteresting take, and glad to hear you are thinking similar. I am thinking that if there is ~8 yards between the 3h and 4h in my testing, that the 5h might be a better ~15- 20 yards gap from the 3h. This is still the top of the bag and I don't need 10 yards increments.

Driver 265-270
4w 240-245

Choices:
Mav 3h - 226
Mav 4h - 218
Mav 5h - (208 maybe? never hit it)

5i - 195

What kind of gapping were you seeing with the 4 & 5?

5 hybrid on course and GC quad around 195.
4 hybrid 202 and 3 hybrid 210 on the cheaper simulator, my 3 hybrid won't be here til Monday, so no real course data yet.

Last edited:
The decision on which Mav hybrids to put in the bag is overloading the feeble circuits in my brain. I kind of want two, but can't decide which setup:

Conservative - 4h, 5h this is probably technically the correct capping to live between my 4w and 5i, with 5h replacing my set PTxPro set 4i.

Agressive - 3h, 4h - this one sounds the most fun, with lots of firepower. This might be top heavy, and leave a big gap between 4h and 5i.

Blended - 3h, 5h - this could be an interesting play, with 5h @ 23* being a decent 4i replacement for me, and the 18* 3h being a power tee club for when I need the distance. There would be 5* and ~20-25 yards between hybrids, to to bridge the gap I'd be hitting a cutty fade with a 3h, which is not a bad play.

Hmmmm... paralysis by analysis. Maybe I should purchase just the 4h and be content.
I think you should get them all and worry about it later. ;)

The decision on which Mav hybrids to put in the bag is overloading the feeble circuits in my brain. I kind of want two, but can't decide which setup:

Conservative - 4h, 5h this is probably technically the correct capping to live between my 4w and 5i, with 5h replacing my set PTxPro set 4i.

Agressive - 3h, 4h - this one sounds the most fun, with lots of firepower. This might be top heavy, and leave a big gap between 4h and 5i.

Blended - 3h, 5h - this could be an interesting play, with 5h @ 23* being a decent 4i replacement for me, and the 18* 3h being a power tee club for when I need the distance. There would be 5* and ~20-25 yards between hybrids, to to bridge the gap I'd be hitting a cutty fade with a 3h, which is not a bad play.

Hmmmm... paralysis by analysis. Maybe I should purchase just the 4h and be content.

All great options!! I like "conservative" or "blended."

INteresting take, and glad to hear you are thinking similar. I am thinking that if there is ~8 yards between the 3h and 4h in my testing, that the 5h might be a better ~15- 20 yards gap from the 3h. This is still the top of the bag and I don't need 10 yards increments.

Driver 265-270
4w 240-245

Choices:
Mav 3h - 226
Mav 4h - 218
Mav 5h - (208 maybe? never hit it)

5i - 195

What kind of gapping were you seeing with the 4 & 5?
5 hybrid on course and GC quad around 195.
4 hybrid 202 and 3 hybrid 210 on the cheaper simulator, my 3 hybrid won't be here til Monday, so no real course date yet.
I went 4h and 3h as I felt they are simply iron replacements for me. So the incremental gapping isn't much different than my irons. I did kick the 5w out of my bag as it fell between my 4h and 3h. Now deciding on which shaft to pair with my 4w is my new struggle.

Tee shots are what I use hybrids for more than anything, especially the "power" hybrid LIke 4-5 times a round off the tee. Either 18* or 20* would probably fit the bill, as the 20* is equivalent in perforamnce to the 19* Srixon H85 I play now. The 18* is tempting for the extra firepower as a tee club - might even be too long though as it creeps up on the FW.

The 23* is more for long second shots, but truthfully the 4 spot in the bag is one that doesn't get used much.
Just curious. When you hit the longer hybrid off the tee, are you trying to hit a certain distance or just have something in hand that is going to be more accurate than your 4w? If it's just extra accuracy, I would say go with the 18*. You'll still have more accuracy and who cares if you are encroaching on your 4w distance. You'll still be in the short stuff.

Yes I did! Just delivered from Callaway. Now to add a 4(20 degrees, not enough) or 5(23 degrees, too much)?

Attachments

• 172220D0-C45A-4772-AD5A-8E420192D3F0.jpeg
    172220D0-C45A-4772-AD5A-8E420192D3F0.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0E315572-BEBA-4000-AC27-951F31D517D9.jpeg
    0E315572-BEBA-4000-AC27-951F31D517D9.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 19
Just curious. When you hit the longer hybrid off the tee, are you trying to hit a certain distance or just have something in hand that is going to be more accurate than your 4w? If it's just extra accuracy, I would say go with the 18*. You'll still have more accuracy and who cares if you are encroaching on your 4w distance. You'll still be in the short stuff.

You pretty much nailed the dilemma here - it's both accuracy AND when something less than 4w is needed. But to your point, it might be fun to have the distance potential of the 3h but just back off it a bit or play a cut for a shorter fairway finder. The accuracy of the shorter shaft combined with firepower is appealing in the 3h.

At first I thought you comment steered me toward the 4h, 5h for hitting numbers. But on reflection the 3h could hit that 4h number backed off a tad. Maybe 3h, 5h it is?

I am still torn on whether or not to keep my EF 4H or trade it for the Mavrik 4H. Hit the Mavrik again today and it was so good.

You pretty much nailed the dilemma here - it's both accuracy AND when something less than 4w is needed. But to your point, it might be fun to have the distance potential of the 3h but just back off it a bit or play a cut for a shorter fairway finder. The accuracy of the shorter shaft combined with firepower is appealing in the 3h.

At first I thought you comment steered me toward the 4h, 5h for hitting numbers. But on reflection the 3h could hit that 4h number backed off a tad. Maybe 3h, 5h it is?
If I'm going to bag a hybrid purely for tee shots, it had better be long as can be :)

I'd personally lean 3h 5h. Really, how much more forgiving is a 4h going to be off the tee than a 3h? Plus, the 3h would put a guy a club closer to the green.

My Apex 4 hybrid must have heard a rumor that a Mavrik 5 hybrid was on the way because it was really well behaved today.

So got the Max woods out for a second time today. I moved the heavy weight to the heal after my last round and it was definitely the right move. I hit both my 3w and 5w and hit them great! So glad I made the switch to these woods.

If I'm going to bag a hybrid purely for tee shots, it had better be long as can be :)

I'd personally lean 3h 5h. Really, how much more forgiving is a 4h going to be off the tee than a 3h? Plus, the 3h would put a guy a club closer to the green.

Shout out to my man @radiman for the expert consult on my hybrid ponders. ? A decision has been made and action taken.

Shout out to my man @radiman for the expert consult on my hybrid ponders. ? A decision has been made and action taken.
Ha, I would stop short of calling it an expert consult. But, I do think you'll be happy with the clubs!

is the Mav any longer?

I don’t think it’s longer but it seems to be easier to hit. That’s where I’m torn. Distance or dispersion?

I don’t think it’s longer but it seems to be easier to hit. That’s where I’m torn. Distance or dispersion?
My .02 - it's easier to recover from a shorter shot than it is from a shot buried in the rough or in a hazard (or OB, depending on how bad of a dispersion we're talking about).

A really cool technical detail I just noticed, is that the weights on the SZ FW are machined from aluminum for the light one, and maybe tungsten (?) for the heavy 14g weight. Being different metals they have a different sheen and color in their natural finish - very cool.

EA86C036-4AC5-47D9-A952-5DF7CD7BA87B.jpeg

A really cool technical detail I just noticed, is that the weights on the SZ FW are machined from aluminum for the light one, and maybe tungsten (?) for the heavy 14g weight. Being different metals they have a different sheen and color in their natural finish - very cool.

View attachment 8929944

Good eye!

My hybrid’s shorter, more-lofted brother arrived:

View attachment 8929843View attachment 8929844

Welp, this one is stupid good too... Do I get a 6H now? :ROFLMAO:

I played PGA National on TrackMan today, and two of the Par 3s played 184 and 192. Easy pars on both, hitting each within 30 feet with the 5H.

Last edited:

The Epic Flash hybrid is so good. It's awesome that it has adjustability too. I was leaning towards telling you to stick with the EF if its working well for you, but after hitting my 5H today, GO MAV!! They are just so easy to hit straight.

The Epic Flash hybrid is so good. It's awesome that it has adjustability too. I was leaning towards telling you to stick with the EF if its working well for you, but after hitting my 5H today, GO MAV!! They are just so easy to hit straight.
Did you get a stock shaft?

Back