Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Agreed, the standard mavrik did not have a whole lot of spin for me. In fact, only about 100RPM more than my OG Epic SZ. (Could be strike etc.) I'm curious to try the SZ Mavrik, but I could switch to the standard today without hesitation.
I tried the SZ with heavy weight back and forward. I found it surprisingly easy to hit in both setups. I thought the OG Epic SZ was pretty easy to hit too. I think this is very similar in that regard. My spin numbers weren't crazy low either. I found that the window between my lowest spinning shots and highest spinning shots was a lot tighter than the standard. I really want to get the SZ out on the course along with the Standard to see how they compare in the real world.

Today I had the chance to try a Tensei Pro Orange 60 Stiff in my 9° Mavrik head. The shaft belonged to a gal from our local university’s golf team. They had GC Quad running in the indoor academy. My head weighs 205G and with the ZF 50 at 44.75” swingweights at D5 which is where I like it. On the PO 60, my head felt quite light but the results were alarming! I picked up 7 yards of carry over my set up due to 3 mph more CHS and was much straighter. I’ve never dabbled in counter balanced shafts until today. Seriously thinks about the PO 50 Stiff now.

What's good fellow Mavrik driver players? We have had some warm weather the last few weeks. The snow is starting to melt. Some of my Grandaddy brethren are starting to get their first rounds in for the season. My time is coming.

I decided to get some options for myself after seeing ball flight being a little higher than I'd like in my offseason testing. Just can't play in the wind here when you are hitting the ball super high. So, for *hits and giggles, I picked up a shaft with a green dot adapter that will allow me to get my loft down -2 degrees. To be honest, I have never added 2 degrees of loft to my driver. So, if -2 is too low, I can still keep it standard or -1.

Probably a month out from real golf at this point. I wish I could get back on Trackman, but getting the time to make the hour drive there and hour back is a logistical nightmare when you have kids. So, I just sit here eagerly awaiting Spring and seeing all of you guys singing this clubs praises.

I wish I could have been pumping this thread with feedback over the past few months. Limited golf resources around these parts and the long winter have been a very big hurdle to overcome this year. Probably more so than any off season before. Having an ENTIRE NEW BAG OF CLUBS just sitting here begging, no needing, to be hit has driven me near mad.

Just have to keep telling myself that it's right around the corner.

Ha ha, lots of snow has melted in NH and I've been hitting pitch shots in my front yard for the first time since November. Pretty much frothing at the bit 🐎 to get dialed on course ⛳ with the Mavrik lineup in the top end of the bag 💥🎯

My best friend is a lifelong TaymorMade guy. He called to tell me he bought a Mavrik driver (he knows I’m a Callaway guy). Hmm, curious, why?

He was at lunch with a friend. That friend says he bought the Mavrik and is hitting it 20 yards farther. My friend has a 1 word answer: “Bullsh*t”. Two other guys at the table look up and say “He’s hitting it 20 yards farther.”

My friend goes for a fitting. He’s also getting 20 extra yards. He loves that. But he says he can’t believe the forgiveness. He hits a shot that he knows wasn’t good, looks up and the ball is straight and good distance.

The Mavrik has to be damn good to convert him, I thought he’d be buried with his TM gear.

What degree heads are people playing in the Max?

I’ve got the 9 degree head, adjusted down to 8 degrees. Was seeing my best spin/launch/height numbers in that setting.

i'm so excited to get out and see what this driver can do for me with some swing work. even though i'm not where I want to be with the swing, i'm already seeing a ton more launch and visibly what seems to be more spin. it's a ball flight that was me so stinking excited to get out and play real golf. one of the things that still makes my head hurt (in the best of ways) is when I make a good swing (for me) I look up and see a great ball flight, then I make a not-so-good swing and look up and see what appears to be almost the same exact ball flight. so much forgiveness in the mav max it's crazy and kinda unbelievable.

Love what McLovin just said. The forgiveness is so good. I've showed examples of my appreciation for that, even with the sub zero. After another round of testing on course with it yesterday I'm becoming more and more impressed with how fast it is within that forgiveness. I don't have near the monitor time a lot of guys here do, but I've put in some time with the Mavrik (SZ dominantly) now indoors and out. I'm a physically strong, consistent striker who plays driver at a MUCH more pedestrian SS than people would assume, and I can say with zero hesitation that I have never smashed a single setup like I continue to with this club. The numbers continue to be, ridiculous. Speed within forgiveness within speed. I know things change for people who swing fast enough to consistently max out the gear, but for people around 105 ss playing a legal club, I honestly don't see how you can get any more out a club than I'm seeing. I really don't.

It's becoming addicting. I'm sore, and know I'll hurt myself, and I STILL want to go to the range today.

I turned the Max 9° to -1D setting and was finding center face on most drives and was reaching places I haven't been for a couple of years.
my playing partner from Chicago remarked how much he like the sound of the Max. Saying he could tell when I flushed one and how the ball seemed to jump off the face. Two days ago my back was stiff and I wasn't getting any more than 220 carry. Today I cleared to bunkers that are 245 yards to the back side. Left me with a lot of shots 7 iron and less including two pitching wedges to within 6 feet for 2 birdies.:cool:

Even though I'm set at 8°, I'm still getting plenty of launch with The ATTAS shaft which really surprises me since I came from a 10.5° driver at my fitting Tomorrow it is suppose to get up to 70°+ and then 5 days of rain. Hopefully I can have a similar day as today. It was really fun.

Did some shaft testing today. Front 9 was a Riptide 50g 5.5 I was fitted for the 60g in 5.5 and can feel the 10g difference, but nothing so drastic that it had a wow factor.
2nd nine I plugged in a Ventus Blue 5R, holy cow does that feel good. Point and shoot. I can't wait to try the shaft/head combo on a calm day and see how the distances compare.

Did some shaft testing today. Front 9 was a Riptide 50g 5.5 I was fitted for the 60g in 5.5 and can feel the 10g difference, but nothing so drastic that it had a wow factor.
2nd nine I plugged in a Ventus Blue 5R, holy cow does that feel good. Point and shoot. I can't wait to try the shaft/head combo on a calm day and see how the distances compare.

I think tomorrow I will put in my Ventus Blue 6S in the Max and see how it compares to The ATTAS. I used it in the Mavrik standard 10.5 and had good results in that head.

First outside round of the year. 21 holes of golf. Mavrik Max vs Mav Standard for “research” purposes. Still have the same CSX TT ball I started with. So safe to say the forgiveness was apparent.

At the range now, trying my new SZ mostly for the first time in reasonable temps... and this driver is gonna be fun. Already loving what I’m seeing and feeling.

She bad!

4D0D0F6C-78EC-463F-AA27-2A9BC7C0A9AA.jpeg

8B09C3D1-4764-456A-AF6A-FFCB5DBB665B.jpeg

As of right now, the Ventus Blue 5r is staying in the driver. Just feels so smooth.
Driver wise, the Max is mr forgiveness, I live out on the toe a bit and it just doesn't lose much distance at all.

I gotta say..... after getting a 60 Xstiff riptide shaft to replace the 50 stiff the standard Mavrik has become my favorite driver ever. My miss is normally a push right if I dont get through the ball but even my right misses were all playable. Looking forward to playing it all year.

For science...

20200308_141209.jpg
20200308_141215.jpg
20200308_141204.jpg20200308_141158.jpg20200308_141223.jpg

I got out on the range yesterday with my daughter before the sun went down. It was almost 60° and a little windy but we weren’t going to miss it. After working my way through the bag, I decided to let the EF SZ driver battle my new Mavrik driver. SZ is rocking an Attas Coool 7X and the Mavrik is paired with a Ventus Black 7S. Let the battle begin!
Actually, it was a quick battle. 😬
Sound: These two couldn’t be more different on the auditory front. The Mavrik sounds crisp and feels amazing at impact.
Look: My custom looks amazing and I’m glad I went that route over the stock setup. My SZ was custom as well, but this one looks meaner. I love the shape of both heads but the nod goes to the new Mavrik shape on the sole.
Performance: Close, but not really. The Mavrik was freaking fantastic! Sound and feel outside are just intoxicating. I’m literally still reeling from the flight and distances I was seeing with yesterday’s conditions. Mid, piercing flight with a straight flight to slight draw. I was also able to play a cut which was one of the challenges I faced with the Max head. The SZ still gave me some fantastic piercing cuts and the occasional snap hook like normal. It’s still such a great driver, but the day went to the Mavrik.
I wish I had some numbers for you, but since I don’t I’ll leave you with this...
8AD419D0-9669-458E-B5E7-BFB991710619.jpeg
Mavrik and Ventus Black combo is 🔥🔥🔥

Went back to my old aldila tour green yesterday, and spent most of the day middle of the fairway.
Still have to work a few thing out in my swing, but hoping to get the riptide cut down about an inch and then some more range time. Also have an old matrix 7m3 I’m going to have the new tip put on and test. Going to spend a lot of time at the range with this driver this year!

2 rounds and really clicking with driver. Even on the range prior to the round I'm hitting no more than 5-6 drives then putting it away since I'm very comfortable with it.

Saturday I hit driver on 13 of my 14 tee shots because I was confident in my drives. Now Hole 1 was a complete block to the right but then it was chill. 8/13 fairways and 2 of the missed fairways were just off the fairway. So overall very happy and distances I was more than content with.

I don't want to tinker anything with this setup and the only thing I had to do was tighten the backweight at one point in the round because I was hearing a little rattle before I teed up my next drive so I luckily keep a wrench in my bag and that was that.

Straight drives or left, which is all I need to know.

The only thing I need to do more of is probably trust teeing it a little lower. On hole 2 into the wind I hit a low bullet and had some nice rollout. Other parts of the day in the wind it would get caught up there and lose a decent amount of distance but still in the fairway nonetheless. Something I'll work on.

MavrikMax FTW

The SZ is taking me places I have never been before, this morning in very little wind I put the heavy weight in the back D/-1 setting and hit some of the longest drives ever on a Course I have played well over 100 times maybe 200 times.
For some reason today I was just focusing on the back of the ball from the start of the swing until the ball was gone and wow some crazy drives for me. I have been stretching / exercising everyday for the last weeks and I think that is some of it for sure, but when you nut this thing it is so nice.

Case in point hole #8 is a slight dogleft right playing 368, hit a high fade to 85 yards. #10 is a short Par 4 playing 273 (shot it at 278 to the back pin) landed on the green and rolled off the back 10 ft.
Now there was just a bit of helping wind and the ball flight was dead straight and very high, I have never with any driver ever hit that green before. I have been close but never landed on the green, that is crazy long for me.

I hit several others in the 250 range and right on my line, #15 plays 344 on the card and has water down the left side. Wind was blowing slightly from the left to right. Played it down the left side slight fade to 86 yards, just a thing of beauty to look up and see the ball doing what was intended.

Of course it was just a good driving day, score did not reflect it with the short game being shakey. 43-39 with 2 birdies and two choke putts that should have been birdies.

Played the new Tour Bx today.

9/9 today. Love it.

ok I get pops next time.... just kidding, straight up as always, but I need lessons first. See you in a couple of months

The changes I made playing with @McLovin in my mav SZ are making me want to get back out and play again.

We swapped weights (I went lighter) and we both ended up preferring the new weights and boy did it change my driver game.

Looks like I have some rounds coming up this weekend since the wife and kiddo are out of town. Who’s with me? @clarkgriswold

Back