Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

I think my Pro 2H might be the most effective club I've owned to date. Versatility is just off the charts for me. Everything I ask that head to do, it will do, and usually with an ease that is shocking. Anyone else out there gaming a Pro hybrid? Haven't seen them mentioned much.
I'm gaming two, the Pro 3H and 4H. They really are the easiest hybrids that I've ever hit. I generally play a nice draw, so I haven't been a huge fan of standard hybrids with prominent offset.

I'm gaming two, the Pro 3H and 4H. They really are the easiest hybrids that I've ever hit. I generally play a nice draw, so I haven't been a huge fan of standard hybrids with prominent offset.

i adored the look and feel of the pro when i tested it in california. flight and spin were great for me, we just couldn’t get it to gap properly.

can anyone confirm if there is or isn't a difference in face height(loft for loft of course) between the max and standard fw's? i swear holding them side by side, the standard looks slightly deeper, but could be just an optical illusion due to the slightly smaller head.

i adored the look and feel of the pro when i tested it in california. flight and spin were great for me, we just couldn’t get it to gap properly.
When I was fit, I was hitting the hybrids so well that gapping wasn't an issue. However, I have had a few days where gapping between the 3H and 4H weren't as consistent as during my fitting. I've thought about swapping the 3H for a 2H (or simply practicing more to improve my consistency :unsure:).

Figured I might as well replace my 2014 big Bertha 3 wood as well. Went today to hit the Mavrik, was trying to decide between the standard and max.

hit them both, was seeing much better ball speeds and distances with the standard for me. Then narrowed it down to shaft, and though I wasn’t hitting my best, the dispersion, forgiveness, and misses were much better Than my BB.
Ordered standard Mavrik 3w with Aldila Rogue White 70g.

A month ago I thought I would be good just updating to the Mavrik driver. Here I am today now waiting on my new fw, irons, and wedges.

can anyone confirm if there is or isn't a difference in face height(loft for loft of course) between the max and standard fw's? i swear holding them side by side, the standard looks slightly deeper, but could be just an optical illusion due to the slightly smaller head.

I can't quite compare loft-to-loft, but I could have sworn it was the other way around. Maybe the leading edge of the Max makes it look shallower?

I can't quite compare loft-to-loft, but I could have sworn it was the other way around. Maybe the leading edge of the Max makes it look shallower?
quite possibly, wouldn't be the first time my eyes deceived me(insert bad date joke here)

I have Max 3 and Standard 5.
I think due to wide body/bigger head and also low leading edge makes it look like Max looks shallower. It sure does have more real estate but face height is similar. I can’t tell the difference by just looking at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...A month ago I thought I would be good just updating to the Mavrik driver. Here I am today now waiting on my new fw, irons, and wedges.
If it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. I went to a fitting day to look at the driver, ended up buying the Mavrik driver and a Super Hybrid. Then a week later I went and got fitted/bought irons, fw, another hybrid, wedges, and a putter.

A month ago I thought I would be good just updating to the Mavrik driver. Here I am today now waiting on my new fw, irons, and wedges.
If it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. I went to a fitting day to look at the driver, ended up buying the Mavrik driver and a Super Hybrid. Then a week later I went and got fitted/bought irons, fw, another hybrid, wedges, and a putter.
This is why I tell my buddy that "just demoing" isn't a real thing. I was just demoing to see what the new stuff was like. I ultimately replaced nearly my entire bag sans my G400 Max. Good thing for my wallet that I hit the Mavrik driver at the end of my fairway woods fitting and had swing fatigue.

I’ve had it on course a couple of times but today was the first time on the range with time to try dialing in. This thing has some serious potential. I need to be sure I start it on a line right of target as it is easy to get going left. Liked what I saw

OK, for the #2 spot in my bag I'm going one of these as I LOVE my Mav sub zero driver, hybrid, and irons!.
option #1 Max 3 wood
option #2 standard Mav 4 wood
option #3 Mav sub zero 4 wood
I won't be able to hit all these in the proper shaft before purchasing so any feedback is appreciated. Obviously everyone is drastically different. Player profile: low to mid 90s driver SS. handicap of 9.8. I was extremely surprised to be fit into the sub Zero model at my driver fitting but DANG was it a boost in distance due to getting my spin down and was WAY more forgiving than I expected from that type of driver. This club will be used almost exclusively from the deck. We do have 1 220-230 yard par 3 that it will be used on some but other than that I'm not a "3 wood off the tee" kinda guy. I actually hit my driver straighter than a teed up fairway.

The Max Heavenwood with Ventus Red 6s:

Such a fun club to hit. I clipped an overhanging tree off the tee on the second hole, which led to a drive of only 190 yards or so. I had 240 to the pin and thought I'd just swing away with HW given a good lie. I found the center of the face but hit it left of the green. Wound up nearly pin high but in the trees. I was able to recover from there, but even with the less-than-desirable result, I smiled the entire way to the ball because the strike was perfect and the ball just went.

One of my other favorite shots of the day was with my 5H. I carried only 11 clubs today, so sitting 195 out, I tried to get a little extra out of my 5H. I hit a high bomb right at the pin, but it carried about 10 yards deep. Luckily, with the softer conditions, it stopped quickly, leaving me a 40 foot putt down the hill for birdie. That is not a shot I've really ever had in my bag, and it could be an absolute game changer for me. These hybrids are PHENOMENAL.

Rocked the first session with my MAVRIK sz 3 wood. Penetrating flight and easy distance. I picked it up with a Max driver and so far it is my favorite of the two, which is not a slight on the driver. From the first swing on, I had complete confidence in it. Love it. I think I will be playing it for a long time.

Love the flatter lie angles on the Sub Zero but not enough lofts offered with the flat lies.

Gonna try the heavy weight in the back in my SZ 4wd tomorrow

Gonna try the heavy weight in the back in my SZ 4wd tomorrow
That's where I get my best results. Completely changed the feel of the club for me.

That's where I get my best results. Completely changed the feel of the club for me.
Sweet. First time out I hit a couple good ones including an absolute bomb off the tee; second time out I struggled even off the tee...so I’m hoping this weight change will help.

OK, for the #2 spot in my bag I'm going one of these as I LOVE my Mav sub zero driver, hybrid, and irons!.
option #1 Max 3 wood
option #2 standard Mav 4 wood
option #3 Mav sub zero 4 wood
I won't be able to hit all these in the proper shaft before purchasing so any feedback is appreciated. Obviously everyone is drastically different. Player profile: low to mid 90s driver SS. handicap of 9.8. I was extremely surprised to be fit into the sub Zero model at my driver fitting but DANG was it a boost in distance due to getting my spin down and was WAY more forgiving than I expected from that type of driver. This club will be used almost exclusively from the deck. We do have 1 220-230 yard par 3 that it will be used on some but other than that I'm not a "3 wood off the tee" kinda guy. I actually hit my driver straighter than a teed up fairway.

Don't see anyone replying to you, so.. I play the Sub Zero driver, and use a 3W mostly off the deck. It's a scoring-ish club for me first, tee club distant second. I tried the SZ 3, SZ 3+, and standard 3w a good amount and I ended up choosing the standard 3W. I strangely hit the standard a little flatter than the SZs. The SZ 3+ was closer to the flight characteristics I was looking for, but too long. The SZ 3 kind of was too, but it also launched higher for me. Had to be a head shape thing paired with my swing. See it and deliver it differently.
I get more spin with the standard off the tee (don't have true fairway numbers to compare, just monitor, and I haven't found 3w off the deck indoor data to be reliable for real world situations for me), but it's the right launch and distance, and I can stop it well with what seems like that bit of extra spin creating a little late balloon effect. I wasn't expecting any of those results, and ordered the sub zero at first (I've played previous versions), then thought better of it and went with the numbers to order the standard. Don't regret it at all. Paired with a slightly softer soft than I play in my driver and hybrid it has been a stellar club for me so far. I really, really like it.

Last edited:
Think they'll come out with an adjustable model next iteration? Really want a 4 wood in this line but can't get behind the non-adjustability of it.

Think they'll come out with an adjustable model next iteration? Really want a 4 wood in this line but can't get behind the non-adjustability of it.
Possibly. They seem to alternate. Adjustable model, then the next saves the adapter weight for forgiveness, followed by another adjustable model.

Otherwise, the Epic Flash is also phenomenal if you haven't tried it

Possibly. They seem to alternate. Adjustable model, then the next saves the adapter weight for forgiveness, followed by another adjustable model.

Otherwise, the Epic Flash is also phenomenal if you haven't tried it
I have and I like it but no 4 wood. I'm using a epic flash 3w SZ lifted up 2*. (In hindsight, should have gone with the non SZ version but that's me, not the club).

I hit the 4 wood Mavrik at our local shop's demo days and it was like love at first sight compared to my SZ. It was almost difficult to get a bad result from it.

It was almost difficult to get a bad result from it.
Honest question: If hitting it that well, why worried about the nonadjustable hosel ?

I have and I like it but no 4 wood. I'm using a epic flash 3w SZ lifted up 2*. (In hindsight, should have gone with the non SZ version but that's me, not the club).

I hit the 4 wood Mavrik at our local shop's demo days and it was like love at first sight compared to my SZ. It was almost difficult to get a bad result from it.
So, I gotta ask. What is holding you back from using a fw with no adjustability? Just a matter of easy shaft swapping? And I'm not trying to say whatever your reason is is not a valid one. I tinker with driver from time to time, but I've never found myself messing with my fw hosel settings.

Good question. I was very close to trading in my 3w and 7w for it but I just got the 3w a few weeks prior. Probably some financial excuses running through my head. It's very likely by next year I'll have a Callaway 4 wood and if they'd introduce the opti fit then... bonus. I'll trade in/up then.

Back