Older clubs you’ve always wanted to see with a modern shaft setup?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
My mind is working, @ddec can attest to that, so what older clubs have you always wanted to see with a modern/current shaft setup to see just how they would perform?

Obviously my CMB and J40 CB journeys have put me on this, but, it’s kind of fun to think about....and could be quite entertaining.

So?

• Staff
1) 9015d
2) Super Tri
3) Tommy Armour 845’s
4) RBZ 3wood

I could go all day

Ping ISI in either copper or nickel

I really liked the Tommy Armour 845 OS - over sized. Those would be fun.

Original Hogan Edge irons with UST Mamiya Recoil ES 760/F2 SmacWrap shafts. I may just do it!

I have two sets of irons in the basement that I never traded in when I purchased new irons. I have a set of Tommy Armour 845 from the early 90s and a set of Ping ISI Ks that I got in 1997.

Original Titleist DCI black.

A wooden wood with a current generation graphite shaft.

I’m getting ready to put some OTI’s in a set of CB3’s. Also trying to figure out what I want to put in a first gen Exotics driver head I have. Debating reshafting my CB2’s with Recoils or Elevates

I still have my Ping Eye 2 set in the closet - still think it was the best iron head ever. It was forgiving but still workable. I would love to swing them again with some well fit graphite shafts of today, but the grooves are too worn to make it worthwhile.

I always have an urge to put a modern shaft on my OG Big Bertha to see how it would do. And then I think about it, and realize the udon noodle it's currently paired with might actually be more efficient for it. So I don't do it. Still really curious though.

Last edited:
I've always have an urge to put a modern shaft on my OG Big Bertha to see how it would do. And then I think about it, and realize the udon noodle it's currently paired with might actually be more efficient for it. So I don't do it. Still really curious though.

The early BB heads would be good, but I have never messed with a bore thru head and don't feel like starting now.

Ping Eye2 would be my sentimental favorite. I still love the look of those clubs and it would be interesting to see how they'd do with modern shafts.

I had these when I very first started golfing and I loved them. It would be cool to play them with some Elevates or Recoil 100's. These could definitely give the Eye 2's and TA 845's a run for their money.

Power-Built TPS

images (3).jpeg

The early BB heads would be good, but I have never messed with a bore thru head and don't feel like starting now.
That's honestly part of why I haven't done it. I have recent numbers on it, and it plays well, considering what it is. I don't think the ball speed numbers can really go that much higher on that head, so messing with the bore through (twice, probably) seems like a chore. Let's pray the world doesn't get messed up to the point I reach that level of boredom.

1984 Wilson 1200 Gear Effect irons.
1992 Titleist PT metals.
Cleveland model 691 wedges.

That's honestly part of why I haven't done it. I have recent numbers on it, and it plays well, considering what it is. I don't think the ball speed numbers can really go that much higher on that head, so messing with the bore through (twice, probably) seems like a chore. Let's pray the world doesn't get messed up to the point I reach that level of boredom.

I have to go back on my statement. I did mess with a bore thru once. It wasn't the Bertha though. I reshafted a 975D at least once. I simply cut off the tip of the original shaft and created a plug for the bottom of the bore so I didn't have to screw with it. I think I basically created a 1.5" BBGM and acted as if it weren't a bore thru anymore. Unfortunately, the Bertha doesn't allow for that.

I’d like to try an old persimmon driver with modern graphite shaft. I’ve been on the lookout for one that catches my eye for this purpose.
And for irons, MP-33.

139349395605c7a0263c288146da21e9.jpg

These have the original shafts and grips, would love to clean these up and put something new in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

139349395605c7a0263c288146da21e9.jpg

These have the original shafts and grips, would love to clean these up and put something new in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have those too, nice choice.

Original DCI Black
Mizuno TN-87
Wilson Staff Fluid Feel
Hogan Channelback

1) 9015d
2) Super Tri
3) Tommy Armour 845’s
4) RBZ 3wood

I could go all day

I have the 845s sitting my office waiting for a comparison hit with the original Tour shafts. Be interesting to swap them out to a modern shaft and see how they perform. Just need to get my hands on a set of shafts. Or maybe I'll ship them to you once I am done with them to play with. :)

Mp32’s
9015d (my fav driver of all time)
Macgregor vfoil vip MB’s
Taylormade rac CBs

not so much wanting to play them in a newer shaft but just wanting to try them out period:

1. Callaway X12 irons

2. TM R7 Driver

3. Been eyeing the Ping ISI's as well

Ping Eye 2 with some good Recoils

Back