Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness Centre the other day and saw some poor sap being rebuked by some minimum wage "associate" for going the wrong way down a one-way aisle. It was just before 9pm and they were the only 2 people in that aisle!

I’m going to stick up here for that “minimum wage associate” that you seem to be looking down your nose at.

They’re being asked to potentially keep this country (and yours, my friend to the north) running by providing basic needs such as food and when the store can procure it, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, etc.

They’re putting up with countless morons every day that don’t social distance, space invaders (not the video games, dumbasses that feel like they need to be 12” from you to carry a conversation), people that violate the policies that they’ve put in place, some mandatory, some their companies best guess on how to keep everyone safe including you.

They’re likely mandated to wear a mask which does nothing to protect them (and they know that), but it protects those that aren’t mandated to wear a mask while visiting their store. The reason they hear all day for that person that visits their store is that “I don’t like them”. Well if that person doesn’t like them for 20 minutes how do you think the person forced to wear one 8-15 hours a day likes it? As someone that’s worn one for 15+ hours a day through this lemme tell you, you’ll spend an extra minute or two brushing your teeth in the morning.

So that person is likely frustrated at putting their life on the line to provide basics to people that aren’t held to the same standards that they are as far as wearing PPE. That don’t follow clearly marked aisles. That don’t respect the fact that they are there for them and their community.

So maybe next time you’re in your “Zombie Apocalypse Preparedeness Center” thank that employee. It would go a long way into making them feel needed. After all if you’re having to visit one it means you yourself were not adequately prepared for this. The time to prepare for something like this was years ago not now. I could not leave my house for 3 years and survive (well until not working caused the bank to take the house from me anyways).

I run a Pharmacy/Drug Store/Grocery. I have a staff of over 50. Many are in tears some days. None of them like having to wear a mask for 8+ hours a day while our Customers won’t wear one for 10 minutes as they “don’t like them”. They’re tired of being treated like shiit because people are scared and are looking to take it out on them. They’re tired of being screamed at because they’re enforcing hard limits on necessities which are put in place so that we can provide them to the entire community and that person then can’t get rich selling them at 10x the cost on EBay.

I bet you don’t look down your nose at your staff at the local hospital. They’re essential. You being able to get your essentials as well is probably just as important as getting healthcare. Are you self sufficient food wise? If not you may want to look at that worker a little different. Yes he’s probably not making the same wage as a doctor or nurse, but he’s the link that puts food on your table.

My company is likely different in the fact that we’re all employee owners. So yes the wages aren’t great. It’s well above minimum wage (starting) and I have over half of my staff that have been there for over 10 years. I have 3 doctors of Pharmacology on my staff. Unless you have one helluva a good job they likely make more than you. They damn sure make more than me and I don’t complain about my wages. Those that work there as a career make a decent wage, very liveable in my area, have excellent insurance and benefits, and have a vested interest in making sure that we succeed. The better we do the better their retirement.

We fill 600 prescriptions a day during the week and provide food and necessities to a community of 25k people. Anyone that comes into my store will be treated great. My staff is a reflection on me and I won’t tolerate any mistreatment of our Customers. Likewise, I won’t tolerate any mistreatment of my staff. I tell the odd Customer when I need to that it’s ok to be upset but the second they become abusive they’ve got to go.

Hopefully this changes your perspective of the job they’re doing. They’re more exposed and are putting their health and their loved ones at risk for anywhere from minimum wage to a decent wage depending on the company. No, none of them (except the Pharmacists) are making 6 figures in my store, including me. But I made enough to provide well for a family of 5. We lived in a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood and I could golf with my kids all I wanted and not worry about the money*

*that all has changed going through the divorce, but I’ve never complained about what I’m being paid as it’s always provided and I have one helluva a retirement account provided that I ever get to that point.

Neiman Marcus has filed for bankruptcy. Not to be insensitive, but I would love to use the space from one of their stores to create an extreme breakout room (I’m a nerd, so what?!). Instead of 1 hour, you have 1 day to break out. I swear it’s a good idea, I just haven’t figured out how to monetize it 🤔

I initially thought the one way aisle seemed like a good idea but I don't see anything that keeps people 6 feet apart just because they are going the same direction. I still need to get around whatever person is standing there for 5 minutes trying to decide which brand of Mac and Cheese they want to buy.

Agreed. You know what the hell you like. Just grab the Kraft and move the hell on.

But maybe, just maybe, someone invented a new one during this that’ll plant the Kraft on its backside and make it taste like the Valu-Time.

I see this every day, usually in the drug area. Usually when I’m trying to order. I stand the respectful 6ft away, give them 30 seconds to make up their mind, then I ask if they need help finding something. Usually in that case they need something and are looking for something that isn’t even in that class and is 50ft further down.

They’ll stare at cold medicine for 30 seconds, I’ll ask, and they need Prilosec. Yeah they’re all pills but each section is clearly labeled with signs. If you’re looking at Robitussin and need Prilosec, you may want to broaden your search parameters to looking for the sign that states “Digestive Aids”. Lol. Not the one that states “cold medicines”

For this morning's explosive news -- CDC Guidelines on Reopening is Shelved by Admiinistration - Won't see light of day

They are guidelines, not legal standards. And you can see them in this link.

And you know why they won't be released - He who will not be named is interested in the economy. Why not release them with a caveat that they are suggested guideines.

Last edited:
Neiman Marcus has filed for bankruptcy. Not to be insensitive, but I would love to use the space from one of their stores to create an extreme breakout room (I’m a nerd, so what?!). Instead of 1 hour, you have 1 day to break out. I swear it’s a good idea, I just haven’t figured out how to monetize it 🤔

I think you stated your wife is a doc? Maybe ask her to work a lot of OT and ask for a loan? Lol at the idea though!

For this morning's news -- CDC Guidelines on Reopening is Shelved - Won't see light of day

And you know why they won't be released - He who will not be named is interested in the economy. Why not release them with a caveat that they are suggested guideines.

That's a little dramatic. The link for the guidelines is in the article. It looks like the standards Texas is currently following and the article says according to the CDC that states are welcome to reach out to them for guidance that is not formally released.

All that proves is that this lady is smart enough to say “she passed out” while wearing a mask, but dumb enough to play Candy Crush while she was driving with her knees and texting her boo thang.

WTF are you wearing a mask in a car for? I didn’t read the article but the only possible reason for it would be to protect those in the car that you aren’t exposed to normally. I wear one with my kids in the car. But that’s because I don’t see them every day and they’re basically shut in at their moms place.
View attachment 8941419
Welcome aboard...

View attachment 8941420
You know who to root for already..

View attachment 8941421
Don’t forget we root against Alabama, every week...

View attachment 8941423

If that’s the only college football this fall I’m taking an underdog. Someone like LSU maybe? (Fighting words I know! Lol)

That's a little dramatic. The link for the guidelines is in the article. It looks like the standards Texas is currently following and the article says according to the CDC that states are welcome to reach out to them for guidance that is not formally released.

I took it from one of the sources - it won't officially see the light of day - source gave it to reporter.

Health is both economic and public safety - it's a balance. And this situation is challenging.

As an aside, I am a big picture guy most of the time. When I was a CPA, I looked at every tree. When I was studying law and spent time at Oxford (name droppiing), the profs told me to expand the picture.

I look over the last 3 months at the big picture, reading newsstories. I try to see the side of the administration because I dated a Trump-ette for 2 years, and I had to open my mind to "my way or the highway" and say nothing most of the time. I also tried to see the positive of both sides to stay in that relationship. I learned. Amazing how we agreed on issues but not on personalities.

In these threads, I see a lot of stats as proof but not enough critical thinking. It is "here is the proof" and if you don't agree, you are wrong, a Commie, or somehow unAmerican - which is all false and shows a lack of clear thought. It is American to question everything and raise issues - to seek facts and truth. The answers here are not simple - there is a lot of grey - I live in the world of nuance, knowing that any side has a point. I've got to be fair. So when I see people who live in black and white, and because their side says something, it must be right ... that shows a lack of critical thinking ... of questioning. For better or worse. And it causes all of this underlying division. We are more interested in spoutiing we are right than looking for facts and truth.

Back to your thread...

Last edited:
I took it from one of the sources - it won't officially see the light of day - source gave it to reporter
I think that's the problem many of us have with most of the mainstream media outlets. It's always chicken little to them when it's clear to anyone who actually reads and/or follows stories that 99% is sensationalism.

I think you stated your wife is a doc? Maybe ask her to work a lot of OT and ask for a loan? Lol at the idea though!
Her program actually prevents her from moonlighting, which is a blessing and a curse. No way to make extra money, but we get to spend more time together. But I like where your head is at! I’ll keep brainstorming.

For this morning's news -- CDC Guidelines on Reopening is Shelved - Won't see light of day

Why people continue to try to politicize this, is baffling to me. I used to say EVERYBODY wants the same outcome. Sadly I dont think that is true anymore. I think there are three very large groups.

1. Hates President more than Loves America....Anything to make him look bad.
2. Loves President, nothing done will change that.
3. Those in the middle that just want to see a happy medium that takes care of those and areas that need care and opens up economy reasonably so that millions more don't lose work and have to rely on assistance if it even exists.

Genuinely I ask, because this is the perfect example of a post that didn't have to get political but did. Take out the opinion (not fact) about the President, include the link and nothing changes about your post. Why include it, other than to purposely work to divide?

And I am not trying to single this poster out, but its the perfect example of why things go political, when they don't have to. Nothing in the world changes about this post by not having the political segment to it, yet over and over on both sides there is more and more things said with the sole purpose to divide.

Maybe its a reflection of the country, that Orange Man Bad, therefore everything is his fault. Or a reflection of the people that are so self righteous that they think division is better than unity.

But I am saying it again, we have been incredibly lax and have allowed so much, but when we see posts (on both sides) that are made political when they dont have to be, something has to be said.

Desmond frequently brings up the delay in testing as a black eye and generally attributes it the to this administration. I guess you can say the CDC is part of the administration and technically it is but I look at that differently as the CDC consists of people that are not political appointees if I am not mistaken.. The CDC's initial attempt at developing a test was delayed due to contamination.

Why people continue to try to politicize this, is baffling to me. I used to say EVERYBODY wants the same outcome. Sadly I dont think that is true anymore. I think there are three very large groups.

1. Hates President more than Loves America....Anything to make him look bad.
2. Loves President, nothing done will change that.
3. Those in the middle that just want to see a happy medium that takes care of those and areas that need care and opens up economy reasonably so that millions more don't lose work and have to rely on assistance if it even exists.

Genuinely I ask, because this is the perfect example of a post that didn't have to get political but did. Take out the opinion (not fact) about the President, include the link and nothing changes about your post. Why include it, other than to purposely work to divide?

And I am not trying to single this poster out, but its the perfect example of why things go political, when they don't have to. Nothing in the world changes about this post by not having the political segment to it, yet over and over on both sides there is more and more things said with the sole purpose to divide.

Maybe its a reflection of the country, that Orange Man Bad, therefore everything is his fault. Or a reflection of the people that are so self righteous that they think division is better than unity.

But I am saying it again, we have been incredibly lax and have allowed so much, but when we see posts (on both sides) that are made political when they dont have to be, something has to be said.
100%! Human nature? Fear? People don’t want to get embarrassed or caught with their pants down. Others are selfish and want to grab an inch of power where they can. And some people are just cynical? And sometimes what we thought we knew yesterday isn’t what we know today! I hate watching the blame game when so many people need help. There shouldn’t be any ulterior motive if someone is genuinely reaching out for help.

There are enough smart people out there and I’m confident a few of them will learn some lessons and find solutions to help us right the ship. In the meantime, I’m trying to decide which course to play this afternoon. Looks like it’s gonna be another new one!

Desmond frequently brings up the delay in testing as a black eye and generally attributes it the to this administration. I guess you can say the CDC is part of the administration and technically it is but I look at that differently as the CDC consists of people that are not political appointees if I am not mistaken.. The CDC's initial attempt at developing a test was delayed due to contamination.

I definitely think our testing stumble had a negative impact and handicapped our initial response. Fortunately a few of us are starting to see local testing availability and those issues appear to be behind us.

The "shelved" CDC reopening guidelines are so vague and ambiguous that they are effectively pointless and should, in fact, never see the light of day. It is basically comprised of non-specific aspirations that are ill-fitting at best. I can save everyone the read: if you reopen, use common sense, clean a bit more thoroughly, and don't allow sick people to work. I can make it a power point presentation if anyone needs it.

The "shelved" CDC reopening guidelines are so vague and ambiguous that they are effectively pointless and should, in fact, never see the light of day. It is basically comprised of non-specific aspirations that are ill-fitting at best. I can save everyone the read: if you reopen, use common sense, clean a bit more thoroughly, and don't allow sick people to work. I can make it a power point presentation if anyone needs it.
I’d prefer it in an Excel file if that’s possible?

NYT: Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks

1588866002873.png

Last edited:
Liquor stores are opening!!! On a limited basis...

This is what I believe and is fact. Our response was delayed. Ttypically as in the Bush and Obama administrations, the Feds took charge. They have FEMA, CDC, NIH, etc. It's been somewhat succesful. This is a different way of doiing thiings - the Governors doing everythiing - they are not experienced with pandemics. Testing would be great as to data collection - but we need a good test - for those who are tested positive, why not collect data on antibodies?

As to my posts, believe me, I try to see both sides and when I talk with so-called conservative or liberals who disagree, I get it from both sides. I don't really care. It comes with the territory.

I apologize for making conclusions based on people's behavior and they way they look at a situation - but that's why I do for a living. I've got to look at their side, my side, attempt neutrality and strategize. Some people I deal with lie, and have more serious psychological problems than the rest of us. My experience and frustration probably comes out in these threads when I read some posts. And me being correct is not really important. I learn from people who challenge me - it makes me re-think. More of us should try it.

Last edited:
its not diatribe......its debate and its question and its wonder. And i also fwiw (even living/working in the epicenter) am not living my life at all petrified of this . Cornered certainly but not petrified. A lot of what I mention (whether we are to admit it or not) is a chosen ignored truth. Whenever we are to talk of percentages of people dying in a positive way what we are saying (whether we intend it or not) is that its ok for those folks to die. That is probably something that comes off as insulting but when we truly think about it, thats what is being said. I cant continue to sugar coat while I know that no one really wants to see or hear of folks dying but still it is what it is. Its a willingness to allow "X" amount of folks to die so that the economy stays healthier.

The ideology there? Is that people can also die from economic poverty. But not only is the virus far more the higher threat and likely "at the current time) to kill many more folks than poverty will but we have the wealth to help each other and prevent both. But again we are much too selfish. Even I of course am guilty of that also. I give and have done so during this time and i dont have alot at all but could probably give more than i have done.

Im not so sure its ok to allow the virus to simply go on taking lives for the sake of what imo is mostly materialism (at this point in time). Not when we actually do have the means imo to help each other through this without collapsing into economic disaster.
This is ridiculous. We cannot save everyone all of the time. That is fact. It sucks, but it's true. To lump people who are fearful for their and their family's livelihood as being materialistic is just plain insulting. This could be one of the worst takes throughout this entire mess. It is not a willingness to let X number of people die. When they made the decision to shut down society because of millions of potential deaths. Yes, the number being far far far far below what they said is a positive. No one is devaluing human life.

It's humans being human. Get off your soap box.

Whether media driven (I believe so) or some other reason, as somewhat of an outsider this seems like the most divided the US has been. Feels like extremes have been more vocal, and more divisive.

That tension can absolutely be felt on this topic. This link is too left-leaning for me to fully agree with it, but helps to sum up what I sense reading stuff here.

I’ve seen both insults and praise to the Pres, efforts to demean and praise whomever contradicts him. That stuff is what it is. What’s worse imho, I’ve seen insults to other parts of the nation (Commifornia, F New York, some “hillbilly” comments). Abysmal. Not a point we should ever get to, publicly or privately. We’re going to disagree on stuff, but we should find a way to resolve it without insults. Just my $.02

Whether media driven (I believe so) or some other reason, as somewhat of an outsider this seems like the most divided the US has been. Feels like extremes have been more vocal, and more divisive.

That tension can absolutely be felt on this topic. This link is too left-leaning for me to fully agree with it, but helps to sum up what I sense reading stuff here.

I’ve seen both insults and praise to the Pres, efforts to demean and praise whomever contradicts him. That stuff is what it is. What’s worse imho, I’ve seen insults to other parts of the nation (Commifornia, F New York, some “hillbilly” comments). Abysmal. Not a point we should ever get to, publicly or privately. We’re going to disagree on stuff, but we should find a way to resolve it without insults. Just my $.02

It is the most divisive, but its been boiling over for about 10 years, although it wasn't socially acceptable previously.

While we know it exists in huge ways outside of this, on social media, etc, on a golf forum, it just seems that while there is no doubt politics will be discussed to some degree, there are so many posts that its thrown in there for no other reason than to divide.

It's accepted now. It's sad. So sad. But I think my three groups listed summed it up well and hope we can continue this thread the THP Way, to inform and debate without all of the ********.

We have a couple of courses that are going to f**k it up for all of IL. They are being blatant about not following orders and even advertising it through email and social media. Stupid a**holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back