Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a couple of courses that are going to **** it up for all of IL. They are being blatant about not following orders and even advertising it through email and social media. Stupid a**holes.
Which ones? I will avoid them.

Which ones? I will avoid them.
I'd rather not say as I don't want to get them in trouble and then get the whole state shut down (like the Governor reads THP, but you never know :LOL:). I am not happy about it, but as my wife says, I can't change the world so try not and let it bother you.

We have a couple of courses that are going to **** it up for all of IL. They are being blatant about not following orders and even advertising it through email and social media. Stupid a**holes.
That is the problem with having no due process rights and career politicians and their never worked in the private sector “ staffs” make decisions without legal authority.. If a State puts rules in place and a course wants to challenge the rules( many of which are unjustified and would not survive a legal challenge) then go to court. That is the proper forum. By the same token if a facility has allegedly done something illegal the government can charge them give them their due process rights to defend themselves and if proven and legally justified sanction and penalize them. You cant as the governor say someone broke my rule so every course in the State will be closed as punishment. That is absurd. You cant just punish everyone for the actions of others. My course as im sure the majority of courses are doing is following the rules. Just as where you are im sure. So in spite of that some politician who thinks they can do whatever they want will have a fit and close everyone. And beyond golfers losing their right to golf they would inflict financial harm and ruin on non offending courses. And arbitrarily putting people out of work for no reason. Thats not what should happen in a Democracy.

I'd rather not say as I don't want to get them in trouble and then get the whole state shut down (like the Governor reads THP, but you never know :LOL:). I am not happy about it, but as my wife says, I can't change the world so try not and let it bother you.
I would go the other way - giving people info so they make informed decisions about who they want to support is a good thing. If the course wants to choose a particular approach they deserve to live with the consequences. Same is true for the courses who choose to follow the rules.

That is the problem with having no due process rights and career politicians and their never worked in the private sector “ staffs” make decisions without legal authority.. If a State puts rules in place and a course wants to challenge the rules( many of which are unjustified and would not survive a legal challenge) then go to court. That is the proper forum. By the same token if a facility has allegedly done something illegal the government can charge them give them their due process rights to defend themselves and if proven and legally justified sanction and penalize them. You cant as the governor say someone broke my rule so every course in the State will be closed as punishment. That is absurd. You cant just punish everyone for the actions of others. My course as im sure the majority of courses are doing is following the rules. Just as where you are im sure. So in spite of that some politician who thinks they can do whatever they want will have a fit and close everyone. And beyond golfers losing their right to golf they would inflict financial harm and ruin on non offending courses. And arbitrarily putting people out of work for no reason. Thats not what should happen in a Democracy.
I am honestly at the point that I don’t care. I wish we were just open everything up and let the chips fall as they are. The regulations I’m reading about to restore youth soccer is so ridiculous. I am/was a person that believes strongly in social distancing. However with this crazy as we are getting, I am no longer sure of that opinion. We need to find a good middle ground and there doesn’t seem to be one.

One point of clarification - in most, if not all states, the governors do have legal authority to make these decisions. It is the laws which govern emergency declarations.

Why people continue to try to politicize this, is baffling to me. I used to say EVERYBODY wants the same outcome. Sadly I dont think that is true anymore. I think there are three very large groups.

1. Hates President more than Loves America....Anything to make him look bad.
2. Loves President, nothing done will change that.
3. Those in the middle that just want to see a happy medium that takes care of those and areas that need care and opens up economy reasonably so that millions more don't lose work and have to rely on assistance if it even exists.

Genuinely I ask, because this is the perfect example of a post that didn't have to get political but did. Take out the opinion (not fact) about the President, include the link and nothing changes about your post. Why include it, other than to purposely work to divide?

And I am not trying to single this poster out, but its the perfect example of why things go political, when they don't have to. Nothing in the world changes about this post by not having the political segment to it, yet over and over on both sides there is more and more things said with the sole purpose to divide.

Maybe its a reflection of the country, that Orange Man Bad, therefore everything is his fault. Or a reflection of the people that are so self righteous that they think division is better than unity.

But I am saying it again, we have been incredibly lax and have allowed so much, but when we see posts (on both sides) that are made political when they dont have to be, something has to be said.
Can I be 25% #2, because of #1, and 75% #3 because this is the grestest country in the world no matter which # you are?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Eating inside an actual restaurant for lunch today, feels weird.
Where? I'm calling the police. I don't have that luxury so you shouldn't either. (kidding)

Enjoy it. It's one of the first things I look forward to doing again.

This is what I believe and is fact. Our response was delayed. Ttypically as in the Bush and Obama administrations, the Feds took charge. They have FEMA, CDC, NIH, etc. It's been somewhat successful...

What exactly did Obama and the various federal agencies do during the 2009 H1N1 outbreak? If our response was delayed for Covid-19 it was almost non-existent back then.

Where? I'm calling the police. I don't have that luxury so you shouldn't either. (kidding)

Enjoy it. It's one of the first things I look forward to doing again.

Local Vietnamese place that opened up no more than a month before they had to shut down. Was worried they wouldn't open back up, glad to support them.

IMG_20200507_122856.jpg

Eating inside an actual restaurant for lunch today, feels weird.
Ours reopen next week. I'm already planning our dining itinerary. :p

What exactly did Obama and the various federal agencies do during the 2009 H1N1 outbreak? If our response was delayed for Covid-19 it was almost non-existent back then.

That’s my point. Almost non-existent. It took several months for so much as a press conference. Only a small number of schools closed in a small area relative to the size of the country. No stay home, work safe orders, etc.

I’m not knocking the response, rather I think that’s what should have happened this go around. My son was 2 at the time and ended sick and testing positive for H1N1. Given our “essential” jobs, we’ve likely had Covid-19 as well when we were sick and assumed it was something else (flu, etc.).

You tell me since you want to discuss it.

I'm not doing your work. Don't have time at moment.

That’s my point. Almost non-existent. It took several months for so much as a press conference. Only a small number of schools closed in a small area relative to the size of the country. No stay home, work safe orders, etc.

I’m not knocking the response, rather I think that’s what should have happened this go around. My son was 2 at the time and ended sick and testing positive for H1N1. Given our “essential” jobs, we’ve likely had Covid-19 as well when we were sick and assumed it was something else (flu, etc.).
I wouldn't say the response was "delayed"

The CDC timeline shows the first case on 4/15/09, the CDC was in action shortly afterwards and if I understand the timeline correctly there were school closures on 5/5.

I think the government swung into action quickly, we just were not bombarded with daily press conferences from governors and presidents about it sucking up all the TV airtime. My memory about all of it is fuzzy during that time frame. I don't think I paid much attention to it at the time but I also recall much less fear about it since it is estimated only around 60 million case and 12,500 deaths occurred in the full year after it was originally discovered. (April '09-April '10)

One point of clarification - in most, if not all states, the governors do have legal authority to make these decisions. It is the laws which govern emergency declarations.
Not if they are unconstitutional. Governors are not Dictators with unlimited power even though some seem to think they apparently are . Their actions are subject to challenge in Court and i suspect that will start happening.

Not quite correct.... not at all. But like I've stated, it's impossible to discuss this situation. People's eyes turn red, their fists close ...

Not if they are unconstitutional. Governors are not Dictators with unlimited power even though some seem to think they apparently are . Their actions are subject to challenge in Court and i suspect that will start happening.
I suspect nearly all of the statutes have been on the books a long time which generally does not bode well for efforts to have a statute ruled unconstitutional.

Perhaps people will challenge specific actions taken under an otherwise legal statutory provision. I am not sure what standard would be applied so who knows. My hunch is state actions which infringe on some other C right (e.g., church) may fair better than every day run of the mill activities (e.g., hair salons) but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: JB
NYT: Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks

View attachment 8941676

That was explained in one of the earlier articles I linked. The mutation that came from Europe was a lot more readily transmitted and basically it took over the pandemic even as far away as the West Coast. So it has little to do with New Yorkers and more to do with the virus mutating into something more aggressive and New York being the gateway for that mutation.

Looks like Salons opening on 5/15 in Ohio.

Restaurants and bars with outside patio opening on 5/15 and inside dining open on 5/21.

Last edited:
Not quite correct.... not at all. But like I've stated, it's impossible to discuss this situation. People's eyes turn red, their fists close ...

It’s not about fighting. What I said is correct. The best you could do is post an interview of an Obama alum that has false numbers in it.

The number of lab-confirmed deaths reported to the WHO is 18,449,[7] though this 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic is estimated to have actually caused about 284,000 (range from 150,000 to 575,000) deaths.[14]

The reason the mainstream media didn’t cover it to this extent was purely political. Anyone who doesn’t see that is closing their eyes when they probably should be closing their fists.

I suspect nearly all of the statutes have been on the books a long time which generally does not bode well for efforts to have a statute ruled unconstitutional.

Perhaps people will challenge specific actions taken under an otherwise legal statutory provision. I am not sure what standard would be applied so who knows. My hunch is state actions which infringe on some other C right (e.g., church) may fair better than every day run of the mill activities (e.g., hair salons) but I don't know for sure.
Exactly i should have been more clear in my response. It is not the statute itself i am saying is unconstitutional. It is some of the actions being taken. The statute does not give a Governor the power to do whatever they want and it is their actions which can be challenged. They are not all powerful to act without challenge and i suspect we will see litigation over some of these actions.

My wife has been taking Hydroxychloroquine + Zinc this whole time as a preventative measure.

Glad her Rheumatologist is on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back