Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Played 18 on a fairly short course but with really tricky landing areas ( plays 74.8 course rating and 135 slope ). Only used the driver 8 times but hit the fairway 7 of those. Didn't try to really gain any extra yards but was trying to keep it in play and swing 90%. Really easy to manage a playable shot with this thing.

Another round in yesterday and my miss right was still there, but, the misses weren’t as far right as they have been and just off the fairway. Work in progress. Ordered some lead tape to add a few pieces to the heel of the driver and see if that does anything for me in the interim before being able to get some lessons in.

Another round in yesterday and my miss right was still there, but, the misses weren’t as far right as they have been and just off the fairway. Work in progress. Ordered some lead tape to add a few pieces to the heel of the driver and see if that does anything for me in the interim before being able to get some lessons in.
Before you add tape to the head, loosen the head and turn the shaft to the STD D setting, 180* from the STD setting. I did it and the first round with the STD D setting produced 1 or 2 drives with a slight cut and the rest of the 12 drives went straight. Straightened out the cut.

Before you add tape to the head, loosen the head and turn the shaft to the STD D setting, 180* from the STD setting. I did it and the first round with the STD D setting produced 1 or 2 drives with a slight cut and the rest of the 12 drives went straight. Straightened out the cut.
Cool. Will give that setting a try on next round out. I have had it in +1 D setting which is the setting suggested when I did initial fittings several months back, and have also tried adjusting to +1.5 to see differences.

Great example of how this driver setup ( LIN-Q purple shaft and head ) has taken my "2 way miss" issue and removed it from the equation. The 18th hole on the course I played today is one of the tougher ending holes in the area. There is a generous landing area but it plays 395ish from the whites, 410ish from the blues. The whole is S-shaped with water all down the left side and a marsh behind it. The right is a curvy stream and wetlands behind that. If you go straight out, the large lake/pond dead ends the fairway. A good drive is critical or else you are in a lot of trouble. Seen more than a couple of good rounds spoiled by this whole. Left is dead. Right is dead. To long is dead. To short means you are either in jail or hitting long clubs into the gree which is protected by the lake to the left.

Overhead view
1589668315493.png

View from the Tee Box
20200516_153914_HDR.jpg

With the Speedzone head and the LIN-Q shaft and the fact I am not afraid of the snap hook/hard draw shot any more, I took aim just to the right of the big tree and drove one 267 ( minus 1 foot of bounce back ) with a baby fade right to the middle of the fairway.

The confidence this setup has given me is outstanding. Normally I am debating letting a driver hang out and risk it or play a long iron off the tee and accept a long iron shot into the green. Today, driver/pitching wedge to within 8 feet. And I feel like I could play that same shot over and over.

Last edited:
Great example of how this driver setup ( LIN-Q purple shaft and head ) has taken my "2 way miss" issue and removed it from the equation. The 18th hole on the course I played today is one of the tougher ending holes in the area. There is a generous landing area but it plays 395ish from the whites, 410ish from the blues. The whole is S-shaped with water all down the left side and a marsh behind it. The right is a curvy stream and wetlands behind that. If you go straight out, the large lake/pond dead ends the fairway. A good drive is critical or else you are in a lot of trouble. Seen more than a couple of good rounds spoiled by this whole. Left is dead. Right is dead. To long is dead. To short means you are either in jail or hitting long clubs into the gree which is protected by the lake to the left.

Overhead view
View attachment 8943647

View from the Tee Box
View attachment 8943649

With the Speedzone head and the LIN-Q shaft and the fact I am not afraid of the snap hook/hard draw shot any more, I took aim just to the right of the big tree and drove one 267 ( minus 1 foot of bounce back ) with a baby fade right to the middle of the fairway.

The confidence this setup has given me is outstanding. Normally I am debating letting a driver hang out and risk it or play a long iron off the tee and accept a long iron shot into the green. Today, driver/pitching wedge to within 8 feet. And I feel like I could play that same shot over and over.
Love hearing the confidence that this driver is giving.

Just got home from the first trip on the course with the new SpeedZone driver and I've definitely got to spend a bit more time getting to know it. As I said after my first range session, when the indian does what he's supposed to the ball goes far and straight-ish. Unfortunately I failed to do my part today and kept seeing the ball go well right. Distance wise, the SZ is probably 10yds longer than my F9. Now I do throw the caveat out there that I was fit for the SZ whereas I did not get fit for the F9.

More to come as I get accustomed to the new big stick.

Want to follow up to my previous review of this club and share some additional thoughts now that I’ve had more time with this one.

First, I want to say how overall forgiving this club is on the face. My general miss has been on the toe and more recently I’m battling some toe hooks. The thing I’ll say is that while hooks can move very aggressively and be hard to judge I’ve been able to make this guy work pretty well and keep it in play. When I’m on I’m hitting some really nice draws with this club and generally speaking I hit a fade, but have been turning over pretty much all woods lately. I did finally hit a couple towards the heel a few weeks back and this did not cause the off the planet right shot I’ve seen many times before. It produced a nice high cut that landed in the fairway both times I caught it toward the heel. Was very impressed by this.

The sound is really really nice. One thing I’ve noticed is that the sound is pretty consistent all over the face and often need to look at the face to see where it came off at along with depend on feel.

The feel on this one is great as well. Again, no harsh feels when center contact isn’t hit. But when you hit the center of the face you immediately know it and it feels fantastic.

When I first got back into golf about 10 years ago I gravitated towards Taylormade drivers then over the last 3-4 years I’d been gaming a Callaway. This is the first Cobra I’ve ever gamed and it is definitely the best driver I’ve owned.

Last edited:
So Speedzone Xtreme is very, very good.

Screenshot_20200517-180306.jpg

Fvck this driver. After a really nice honeymoon, it's nothing but a two way miss for me. For the 3rd round in a row I push sliced a ball OB on 16 which I NEVER did with my old driver. All of my other clubs are money right now, but I am spraying like Peter North off the tee. I hate this club. Even worse, I mailed off my G400 Max last week, when I KNEW I shoulda hung on to it.

There will be 10.5* SZ Extreme TL going on the market REALLY soon.

Fvck this driver. After a really nice honeymoon, it's nothing but a two way miss for me. For the 3rd round in a row I push sliced a ball OB on 16 which I NEVER did with my old driver. All of my other clubs are money right now, but I am spraying like Peter North off the tee. I hate this club. Even worse, I mailed off my G400 Max last week, when I KNEW I shoulda hung on to it.

Sorry you’re having difficulties with it man, were you fit into it or buy it off rack?

Have you tried the upright settings? I found the SZX and SZ to favor fades

Honest Q, do we know why Rickie hasn’t converted to this one yet?

I’m hoping the Xtreme gets here before the end of the week so I can give it some swings.

My thoughts on this.

The F9 is a very good driver.

1. It has a straighter topline compared to the SZX. It has the strips as well to help with alignment.

2. Interior Head Weighting. I'm guessing for his F9 he likes the hot melt job + lead tape job better than whatever weighting they've done with his SZX head. He plays his driver at D3 or D5 at 43.5" so they are really adding a bunch of weight while only using the 14g and 2g weight of a retail head.

3. More yellow on the F9.

I really dont get it, but if he has more confidence with the F9 he'll keep playing it. I dont know why none of the major tour staff is playing SZ/SZX but I still think they are awesome drivers.

I’m hoping the Xtreme gets here before the end of the week so I can give it some swings.

Not sure about Rickie but wasn’t Bryson caving them in ?

Not sure about Rickie but wasn’t Bryson caving them in ?

That was the reported issue for him, but he went all the way back to his LTD Pro.

I'm guessing he has a loft consideration as well.

However for his home videos hes been using a SZ so who knows.

Had a case of the pull hooks on Saturday. Ive been using an LA Golf Ozik Black Tie but decided to try the Rogue Silver I ordered with it. First 2 tee shots were low pull hooks. Didnt use driver for the next 3 holes due to a pretty cool course design. Pulled my 3rd drive on #6.... After that I figured it out and managed to fairways with tiny draws

also put the rogue silver in the big tour 3w and struggled a bit with it. I think its a great shaft, especially for stock, but maybe not the best fit for me

Little birdie told us it was all about feel. Said that he got similar numbers with the SZ but felt like he could release the F9 more so than the SZ. Also said there was a “look” of the infinity face that it had more loft and he was more comfortable with the F9.

Little birdie told us it was all about feel. Said that he got similar numbers with the SZ but felt like he could release the F9 more so than the SZ. Also said there was a “look” of the infinity face that it had more loft and he was more comfortable with the F9.
Hmm, I just don’t see how this could be a good thing for them, and I’m not picking on Cobra because for crying out loud I’m about to have both new drivers here. But when your #1a and #1b horses aren’t or haven’t been playing the new drive this deep into a cycle, it’s a bit odd.

That said, Im not sure outside of us WITB fiends there are many who notice it’s still the F9.

Hmm, I just don’t see how this could be a good thing for them, and I’m not picking on Cobra because for crying out loud I’m about to have both new drivers here. But when your #1a and #1b horses aren’t or haven’t been playing the new drive this deep into a cycle, it’s a bit odd.

That said, Im not sure outside of us WITB fiends there are many who notice it’s still the F9.

It's not as noticeable as the LTD Pro. But yeah I still cant believe even after this extended break Rickie isnt in the SZ. I guess he wont switch into at this point now looking at the calendar for the rest of the year.

Has Lexi moved into it?

It's not as noticeable as the LTD Pro. But yeah I still cant believe even after this extended break Rickie isnt in the SZ. I guess he wont switch into at this point now looking at the calendar for the rest of the year.

Has Lexi moved into it?
I believe Lexi is still F9

Back