NEED a new Hybrid, what should I get?

220 > Mavrik unless you’re only focused on distance.
Which Mavrik? I felt the Pro and Standard hybrid were materially different than each other. I hit both well, but the Mav Pro and the EXS 220 felt more comparable to me. @Jman what were your thoughts on the Mav Pro hybrid?

I would be okay with it only going straight. Are your sporting a 3 wood at all?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I kicked my 3w and 5w out of the bag and replaced them with a 4w, 3h and 4h. I wasn't previously a fan of hybrids until now despite having one in my bag (which I rarely touched).

I would be okay with it only going straight. Are your sporting a 3 wood at all?

Nope. I decided no 3-woods a long time ago. I used to have one but when I realized I only used it 3 or 4 times a season, decided to get rid of it.

Dr. 270-280 carry
4w. 240-245 carry
3h. 220-225 carry
4i. 205ish carry

That's my gapping at the top. I also have 3 wedges and depending on the course/tees I will play, will pull the 60 dag or the 4w to make 14 club bag.

Last edited:
Which Mavrik? I felt the Pro and Standard hybrid were materially different than each other. I hit both well, but the Mav Pro and the EXS 220 felt more comparable to me. @Jman what were your thoughts on the Mav Pro hybrid?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I kicked my 3w and 5w out of the bag and replaced them with a 4w, 3h and 4h. I wasn't previously a fan of hybrids until now despite having one in my bag (which I rarely touched).

Interesting. That is a cool switch. I am rocking a 3 wood, which I pipe. (Hit one 272 yesterday) and then down to the 3 Hybrid, which I rarely pull out of the bag because it is all over the place. Then to my 4 Iron next, which I love, and is my 215-220 swing.

Nope. I decided no 3-woods a long time ago. I used to have one but when I realized I only used it 3 or 4 times a season, decided to get rid of it.

Dr. 270-280 carry
4w. 240-245 carry
3h. 220-225 carry
4i. 205ish carry

That's my gapping at the top. I also have 3 wedges and depending on the course/tees I will play, will pull the 60 dag or the 4w to make 14 club bag.

Those are some beautiful numbers :love: That is funny about the never using the 3 wood. I am tracking everything Arccos now, and although I like my 3 wood, I am rarely hitting hit. My highest usage clubs are: Driver, Gap Wedge, Putter. Pretty cool info, and that is where I need to focus my practice.

Those are some beautiful numbers :love: That is funny about the never using the 3 wood. I am tracking everything Arccos now, and although I like my 3 wood, I am rarely hitting hit. My highest usage clubs are: Driver, Gap Wedge, Putter. Pretty cool info, and that is where I need to focus my practice.

I just picked up Arccos but haven't had a chance to use it yet. :( Of the 2 1/2 rounds I did get to play before they shut diwn the courses, I hit the 5w in 4w clothing twice off the tee and 3 times into par 5s. Hit the hybrid 4 times: twice off the tee( short Dog leg par4 and 230 yrd par3 ) and twice into par 5 greens. Already I hit either of them more than I would a 3 wood.

I just picked up Arccos but haven't had a chance to use it yet. :( Of the 2 1/2 rounds I did get to play before they shut diwn the courses, I hit the 5w in 4w clothing twice off the tee and 3 times into par 5s. Hit the hybrid 4 times: twice off the tee( short Dog leg par4 and 230 yrd par3 ) and twice into par 5 greens. Already I hit either of them more than I would a 3 wood.

It will be awesome tracking that data once you are back out there!

Dr. 270-280 carry
4w. 240-245 carry
3h. 220-225 carry
4i. 205ish carry

Not to derail Nate's hybrid discussion, but it looks like your bag makeup is similar to mine (except you have a 4i instead of 4h). Do you ever pull your T200 GW from the bag? I too have 15 clubs (will be 16 here if I end up grabbing the 4i I've been contemplating). I plan on pulling my AW or my 60° depending on the course and course conditions. I elected to go with differing bounces between my wedges so I do like having all three in the bag.

Not to derail Nate's hybrid discussion, but it looks like your bag makeup is similar to mine (except you have a 4i instead of 4h). Do you ever pull your T200 GW from the bag? I too have 15 clubs (will be 16 here if I end up grabbing the 4i I've been contemplating). I plan on pulling my AW or my 60° depending on the course and course conditions. I elected to go with differing bounces between my wedges so I do like having all three in the bag.

Not the T200 GW. It's my 120-122 yrd club. Above it is the 43 deg OW at 135-138 and below it is my 52 deg JAWS wedge which is my 108 yrd club all day long. If I was going to get rid of the GW, id have to go 50' 54' 58' instead in the MD5's to fill the gap.

If I had it all to do over again and knowing what I know now, I might have started there instead. :unsure:;)

All good, I enjoy hearing discussions like these to think about it in my own game as well. (y)

Not the T200 GW. It's my 120-122 yrd club. Above it is the 43 deg OW at 135-138 and below it is my 52 deg JAWS wedge which is my 108 yrd club all day long. If I was going to get rid of the GW, id have to go 50' 54' 58' instead in the MD5's to fill the gap.

If I had it all to do over again and knowing what I know now, I might have started there instead. :unsure:;)
My 52° is my 108 yd club as well, but my AW is my 115ish club. Sometimes it feels like my AW and 52° are redundant. I had my wedges at 52°, 56° and 60° before getting my clubs. If I were to start over, I would have shelved the AW and gone with a wedge combination of 50°, 54° and 58° or 48°, 54° and 60°.

My 52° is my 108 yd club as well, but my AW is my 115ish club. Sometimes it feels like my AW and 52° are redundant. I had my wedges at 52°, 56° and 60° before getting my clubs. If I were to start over, I would have shelved the AW and gone with a wedge combination of 50°, 54° and 58° or 48°, 54° and 60°.
You could always bend the 48 degree set wedge one or two degrees strong.

I saw one of those the other day for $14.. Not a good sign :ROFLMAO: No offense..

Gave this thing a nice poke yesterday and ended up 3 feet for birdie. Still gaming it as it flat out works!

Gave this thing a nice poke yesterday and ended up 3 feet for birdie. Still gaming it as it flat out works!

Well I should have held my trash talk.. That is awesome!

Played a scramble today with some buddies and did not touch my Adams Hybrid once lol

Well I should have held my trash talk.. That is awesome!

Played a scramble today with some buddies and did not touch my Adams Hybrid once lol
Alright let's get a group maybe @gkeller813 @erock9174 want to join somewhere near Akron?

Yes, let's make it happen. Turkeyfoot? Need to get a round in before league starts May 5.

Turkeyfoot opened up again today after the tornado Damage.

Bumping for a question or two and the fact there is some excellent information and discussion in this thread.

Does anyone (@Jman) have a picture of an Epic Flash and a Mavrik standard or Pro looking down to see the size difference? It would be greatly appreciated. I have an original Apex 4H (2016, I think) with the KuroKage 80 stock shaft that is being replaced. Despite it previously being an incredibly reliable club from 215-230, and more off the tee, it has turned on me. 🙄 It hates me and would kill me in my sleep if it could. I’m not stuck on a super small hybrid but don’t want to down and see something that is small FW. I want something to give me good height as the Apex was most often my second into most par 5s I play.

Just from its pictures, the new Hogan hybrid looks like it fits that size window. Yes?

What do y’all think about shaft weight? My thought is something in the 85-90g range. My 3W is 75g and my irons are 110.

Any other thoughts? I’m not the biggest fan of an iron much more than a 4 so I haven’t given much thought to a utility iron.

Thanks much.

ETA: I tried an EF 5W and didn’t like it. Maybe it was a bad shaft match. I may go that way again sometime but probably not now.

Last edited:
Bumping for a question or two and the fact there is some excellent information and discussion in this thread.

Does anyone (@Jman) have a picture of an Epic Flash and a Mavrik standard or Pro looking down to see the size difference? It would be greatly appreciated. I have an original Apex 4H (2016, I think) with the KuroKage 80 stock shaft that is being replaced. Despite it previously being an incredibly reliable club from 215-230, and more off the tee, it has turned on me. 🙄 It hates me and would kill me in my sleep if it could. I’m not stuck on a super small hybrid but don’t want to down and see something that is small FW. I want something to give me good height as the Apex was most often my second into most par 5s I play.

Just from its pictures, the new Hogan hybrid looks like it fits that size window. Yes?

What do y’all think about shaft weight? My thought is something in the 85-90g range. My 3W is 75g and my irons are 110.

Any other thoughts? I’m not the biggest fan of an iron much more than a 4 so I haven’t given much thought to a utility iron.

Thanks much.
I’ll see what I can do when I get home in just a bit (y)

@NateG<80 Have you managed to get out to try any of these yet?

Back